AEM vs. Cobb intake system questions
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on AEM vs. Cobb intake system questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, as some of you know I got my wrx about 2 months ago at this point and this ...

AEM vs. Cobb intake system questions

Hey guys, as some of you know I got my wrx about 2 months ago at this point and this is my first car that i have wanted to add mods to and what not. I am ordering a cobb accessport and have been looking a different intakes and ram into a question about the two systems mentioned in the title. I know the aem mounts in the fender wall and there is the slight possibility of it sucking in water but that is very rare i heard and should not be a concern. The cobb system seems to mount in the stock air box or i could purchase the whole system with the airbox included. My question is, is the cobb worth buying with the airbox also or will it still function properly in the stock box if that is possible. Also anyone know if one system is better then the other when it comes to sound, performance, etc. ANy help would be great and if something i have stated is not clear let me know haha. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the airbox is worth buying cause it'll keep the heat coming from the engine bay near the filter and the filter will get fresh cold air using the stock airdam which isn't really useful w/o the box.

Also because the cobb SF is a short ram, it'll be louder than the aem intake. performance wise everyones been saying there's no difference between the two so go with what you would rather have. if you get a lot of rain then cobb so you don't have to worry bout hydrolock, if you want cold air consistently and never have to worry bout heat soak then aem.

i had a aem cold air on my old civic si. it performed flawlessly and the dry flow filter was much easier to clean than a oiled filter(cobb sf) but on my 2011 i chose the cobb over aem cause of the airbox and to try something new.

CAI > SRI, go with AEM. The cooler the intake air, the better.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    CAI > SRI, go with AEM. The cooler the intake air, the better.
    Even with the risk of hydrolock? or does everyone just overplay this risk and make it seem much worse then it actually is?

what setup do you have on your car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skudda33
    Even with the risk of hydrolock? or does everyone just overplay this risk and make it seem much worse then it actually is?
    If you drive through a puddle deep enough to hydrolock your motor, you're a moron and deserve it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you drive through a puddle deep enough to hydrolock your motor, you're a moron and deserve it.
    ^ this

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Fair enough haha I was just going off what I had read and heard about the cai's. I don't plan on submerging my car ever so I shouldn't have a problem then lol. I was just curious to see if there really was ab issue with that at all. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by skudda33 View Post
    what setup do you have on your car?
    Right now I'm just opensource stage 1, plus some bushings and mounts. Still puting together a plan for my next upgrades.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skudda33
    Fair enough haha I was just going off what I had read and heard about the cai's. I don't plan on submerging my car ever so I shouldn't have a problem then lol. I was just curious to see if there really was ab issue with that at all. Thanks for the input!
    There are splash guards for a reason. In order to ingest enough water to cause an issue, you'll have to drive through a puddle that's over a foot deep.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have a perrin cold air intake and I'm very happy with the performance and sound difference it has made.

Quote Originally Posted by iWRXu09 View Post
    I have a perrin cold air intake and I'm very happy with the performance and sound difference it has made.
    I do not think cobb has a perrin map do they?

I do not think cobb has a perrin map do they?
    cobb doesn't but perrin does. they made a custom map you can load onto your AP to flash the car with. They email it to you or something when you buy the perrin intake

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ROFL!
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Everyone overplays it. You would literally have to have your filter submerged in water for a long period of time in order for that to happen from that type of setup. I've been around the car scene for years, never once heard of it happening.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk06si View Post
    I think the airbox is worth buying cause it'll keep the heat coming from the engine bay near the filter and the filter will get fresh cold air using the stock airdam which isn't really useful w/o the box.
    People don't realize that while your car is in movement, there is a lot of air circulation which would change the under hood temperature. I have also yet to see any proof that the Intake Temperatures were lower in one setup than the other...mainly because its insignificant and they probably aren't. Just because you're getting air from one source at one temperature, doesn't mean by time it travels through your intake system that it will be that same termpature...it would only be different if there was a drastic change it ambient temperature (like going from 50 degrees outside to 80 degrees outside). Changing the source of your air location isn't going to make a big different either way.

Also, the only thing CAI do is make the path of air flow longer, making intake velocity slower....even for a turbocharged vehicle, especially because most CAI setups are 3" in diameter making the volume larger and path longer since its extending to the fender area. Thats something to consider.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast