What is the best catless uppipe for a 2002 WRX? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What is the best catless uppipe for a 2002 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I absolutely love it... I will do that on every turbo setup I ever have. The performance boost is fantastic ...

I absolutely love it... I will do that on every turbo setup I ever have.

The performance boost is fantastic and the sound is insane (a good tuner is a must, of course). I personally think its worth the money if you want to get the most out of your setup.
    2007 SWP WRX - Blouch EVO III 16g'd - 320 WHP/330 TQ, tuned by Jorge @ P&L Motorsports
    --------- &
    2002 WRX Wagon - The DD, the workhorse, the snowboard-trip-whip, the turbo grocery getter

Always remember... life is short.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So GrimmSpeed's YouTube install video says a professional tune is highly recommended after installing a their uppipe but I have read all over this forum it's not needed. Anybody with experience out there please respond. Thanks!
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX
    So GrimmSpeed's YouTube install video says a professional tune is highly recommended after installing a their uppipe but I have read all over this forum it's not needed. Anybody with experience out there please respond. Thanks!
    No need. Plug the EGT sensor with a resistor and call it a day.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    No need. Plug the EGT sensor with a resistor and call it a day.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    That's what I thought. I bought the resistor yesterday at Radio Shack but didn't get to it. The car is still up on stands in my garage after working on it from 6:30 PM to 11:15PM last night I watched the install video GrimmSpeed put out on YouTube and they make it look so quick and easy. They did say they didn't show the heat shield removal process because they didn't have enought time in the video. I guess I know why now.

Another question: Is it a bad idea to keep the heat shields off or should they be installed again? The top shield on the passenger side manifold was a pain to get out and I'm not too excited about putting it back in.
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    That's what I thought. I bought the resistor yesterday at Radio Shack but didn't get to it. The car is still up on stands in my garage after working on it from 6:30 PM to 11:15PM last night I watched the install video GrimmSpeed put out on YouTube and they make it look so quick and easy. They did say they didn't show the heat shield removal process because they didn't have enought time in the video. I guess I know why now.

Another question: Is it a bad idea to keep the heat shields off or should they be installed again? The top shield on the passenger side manifold was a pain to get out and I'm not too excited about putting it back in.
    The only heat shields that are still on my car are the manifold ones. I did however spray and wrap my uppipe before installation.
    2007 SWP WRX - Blouch EVO III 16g'd - 320 WHP/330 TQ, tuned by Jorge @ P&L Motorsports
    --------- &
    2002 WRX Wagon - The DD, the workhorse, the snowboard-trip-whip, the turbo grocery getter

Always remember... life is short.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSweet View Post
    The only heat shields that are still on my car are the manifold ones. I did however spray and wrap my uppipe before installation.
    How long have you been running without the other ones?

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post

Yes it is important to keep your heat shields. They do more then you think. Do the job right and put them back on.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Yes it is important to keep your heat shields. They do more then you think. Do the job right and put them back on.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I sometimes get a little impatient and just want to get the thing back together. I finished up after midnight last night and did install all the factory heat shields back on. To make it easier to get the lower passenger side manifold shield on with the O2 sensor in place I hack sawed a section out and that made it much easier.

Took it out for a test drive and it for sure spools lower in the RPM range and also much quicker I think the mod bug has just bit me again! Before it was on my 1968 Mercury Cougar that now sits in the garage waiting for my attention

Well, a slight rattle somewhere in the post-turbo exhaust has developed since putting the up-pipe in and re-installing the exhaust heat shield components. I'll have it up on the ramps again tonight to see what the problem is. If I had the money, it would have been nice to buy a Cobb stage 2 kit and install all new turbo back exhaust instead of having to put the stock stuff back on. Probably wouldn't have rattling with all new piping. Some day...

EDIT: Well I found what was making the noise. I forgot to put a bolt in the bracket that secures the exhaust to the transmission. It would vibrate only at certain RPMs. I don't know where the bolt went so I used one of the two left over bolts after the uppipe install. The GrimmSpeed uppipe comes with 5 new studs and nuts for mounting to the turbo and two new bolts and nuts for mounting to the crossover pipe.
    Last edited by 2002SubieWRX; 08-08-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Found the rattle.

If you get the ceramic coating, do you not need to wrap the pipe or do anything special for insulation? Is that only true if you put the heat shields back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Recon_Six View Post
    If you get the ceramic coating, do you not need to wrap the pipe or do anything special for insulation? Is that only true if you put the heat shields back on?
    You could always use heat wrap too, but it most likely wouldn't make any difference. The function of the ceramic coating is to retain the heat within the pipe. The heat shields won't fit on an aftermarket flange unless they have tabs for the shields to attach to. Again, the ceramic coating serves the same function of the heat shields.

uh oh, someone didnt do a FOD check!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.