Prosport guage install problems

This is a discussion on Prosport guage install problems within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay guys so I am trying to install my prosport boost gauge and I have everything wired and my bpv ...

Prosport guage install problems

Okay guys so I am trying to install my prosport boost gauge and I have everything wired and my bpv line tapped and when I turn the car on the gauge just blinks.

It's driving me nuts, I can't figure it out. I've tried several diff fuse taps based on what others are using and all leads to the same result.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 04-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone at all? I am having a really hard time here.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Did you read the instructions? Did you follow them? You sure you arent in some type of warning set?Describe the wires and where you ran them. I take it this is a elect. gauge, not mechanical.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

Well the prosport instructions leave a lot to be desired, but yes I did read them. All they really explain is how to wire it to get the color you want (amber/white).

Well off the boost gauge there are several harnesses. The first, I'll call it the power one has a red, black, orange, white. The black is grounded by my fuse box, the red is tapped to my 12v power in the fuse box, the white isn't connected as per prosport's instructions (plug orange in for amber gauges white for white gauges....or a combination of you want white during day and red at night or vice versa) and the orange wire is connected to the fuse for the radio. The gauge works perfectly fine as far as power/illumination goes. It lights up exactly how I want it to, I had no problems there.

The other harness goes to the boost line sender unit. It is literally a 2 piece plug/play harness where one end goes in the gauge and the other in the sender. Each side can only go in one part respectively (i.e. you can't plug it in wrong). I am getting no reading at all from the gauge when I turn the car on or on acc it just blinks red. It does the open/closing sequence as it should.

I have coming off of the sender about 5 inches the "filter" that was supplied with the kit. It is then ran through the firewall and I tapped the T fitting about 1" after the bend of the vacuum line coming off of the bpv.

I did everything as per instructed via several different DIYs I found on here, NASIOC, IWSTI, and 3gWRX. I had a pic that someone else too of their fuse box and mine was wired the same exact way.

I am starting to think I have a faulty sender unit. I'm going to call prosport in the morning and see what they have to say about it.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

So just for future reference if anyone else has the same problem:

I talked to Prosport today and they guy there thinks that I got a defective gauge/sender. So I have to send them back for testing or whatever.

Obviously it sucks because now I don't have the gauge I just paid for and now have to go through this dumb process of which I am rather unhappy about. On the plus side, I am not crazy and I did my wiring properly.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

let us know what they say.

Dang, that sucks. I know that getting the wiring right (when not using the labelled clock wiring) took me several tries. But it sounds like you dotted your I's and crossed your T's.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Twin Scroll = Expensive dynomight's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not to bash on Prosport but you get what you pay for because there are numerous customer complaints about their gauges malfunctioning or not functioning properly after a few months or so. However, there are a select few who claim that they never had an issue with their gauges. So bottom line; beware when purchasing low budget gauges, as they are usually "a hit or miss" and I hope everything goes well from here on out with your gauge installation.
    I dont understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do? -Jeremy Clarkson- Top Gear

Yea I hear you. I knew about Prosport's hit or miss kind of quality, but I decided to go with them anyway. A lot of people have them and say they like them and a lot of people also hate them lol. I have a few friends with Prosports and they all haven't had a problem yet. Guess I just got a bad one....hopefully they send me one that works and I won't have any issues again.

I will say though, Prosport's customer service is really really good.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Okay so just got off the phone with Prosport and they said they tested the gauge and it worked perfectly fine for them....

He said my problem is either that I am not plugging the harness in all the way in the back or the line is cut somehow.

I guess I'll try again when I get the gauge back. When I went to plug the harness in I would use a flathead to give it a nice push and it wouldn't go on any further....so idk.

I'm just really frustrated again now. Plus I have to wait a week to get it back again.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Okay so just got off the phone with Prosport and they said they tested the gauge and it worked perfectly fine for them....

He said my problem is either that I am not plugging the harness in all the way in the back or the line is cut somehow.

I guess I'll try again when I get the gauge back. When I went to plug the harness in I would use a flathead to give it a nice push and it wouldn't go on any further....so idk.

I'm just really frustrated again now. Plus I have to wait a week to get it back again.
    Hey buddy just wondewring how everything ended up going with your boost gauge? Because mine is doing the same thing, flashing on and off constantly. I tried to push the plug in further... and blew the fuse for the white light. How great!
    Now I'm just thinking about throwing the whole thing in the bin and leaving the boost gauge saga.
    Cheers

Wow, I can't believe I never updated this thread with the end result....how helpful I was in the end huh?...

After I got the gauge back the same problem kept happening. I knew for a fact that I wired it correctly and Prosport had just tested the gauge so I knew that it worked also. After really thinking about it and going over my wiring 50000x times I took an educated guess that the wiring harness (from the sender unit to the gauge itself) that they sent me was bad. So I called up PS one last time and I told the guy everything that had already happened. He was adamant that the fault was on my end and that everything from them was working properly. He finally asked me "What can we do to make this right for you?" and I told him that I wanted him to send me out a new wiring harness and if that didn't work, I wanted to return it. So he sent me out the wiring harness and I got it a few days later. Swapping out the old harness for the new one took all of two minutes cause it's just plug & play.

Gauge worked perfectly fine. I was right that it was the harness. So I actually called up Prosport again just to thank them and let them know that it was working fine, obviously they were happy that I was happy.

To further update, this is almost exactly 2years after I've had the gauge installed so I can give a little bit of feedback on it.....2 years later and the thing still works perfectly, no issues what-so-ever and it reads 100% accurately. I haven't touched it since the time I replaced the wiring harness.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

glad the end result turned out in your favor. a loose connection in the wiring harness somewhere will do that lol. they probably wiggled it around til it worked, said it worked, then sent it back out to u lol. ill be getting a boost and AF gauge soon so hopefully theyre easy installs. post some pics of where u placed it.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram