Need help with COBB stage 2 via access port

This is a discussion on Need help with COBB stage 2 via access port within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2011 wrx and am running stage 1 cobb with access port. I have a spt exhaust and ...

Question Need help with COBB stage 2 via access port

I have a 2011 wrx and am running stage 1 cobb with access port. I have a spt exhaust and love it. Stage 1 definitely feels a lot quicker but I still kinda want more.

Do all I need is a downpipe to run stage 2? I might get the AEM intake and run the CObb mapp stage 2 93 octane and +AEM intake...

My main question is if the stage 2 is worth it.. How much power will I make with a COBB downpipe+AEM intake+spt exhaust? Will it be close to 320+??

I'm trying to figure out if I should just keep stage 1 and not modd the car anymore.... Is stage 2 that big of a difference from stage 1 via the access port? And of course is COBB stage 2 completely safe if i maintain the car and run it properly? I heard wrx should not push past 350 hp ish due to transmission and such... Anyone's input is appreciated thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stage 2 is a night and day difference from 1. Stage 2 requires a downpipe. No you will not make 320whp, maybe a little less at the crank. You really need to read the Cobb Map notes, it is all there.

Also, OTS tunes provided on the Cobb AP leave a lot to be desired. A custom/protune from a good tuner will be safer and make more power b/c it is specific to your WRX and not just any stage 2 2011 WRX. Think custom tailored verses one size fits all. Think of all the factors that go into a tune...parts used, quality of gas, altitude, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend before you mod anymore read all the stickies at the top of this forum and the engine management forum. Doing the same on NASIOC would be a good idea as well. Read, search through old threads, ask questions, and read some more and learn about your car.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 04-07-2011 at 10:54 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Stage 2 is definitely a whole other monster but my recommendation is to wait until the warranty period is up to get that downpipe. If anything goes wrong with the car, that's the first thing they're going to try to blame for it. If that doesn't bother you, then by all means get one and unleash the fury.

buy the aem intake and use the stage1 + aem intake tune, skip the downpipe until your warranty is up.

most people when they first start modding (myself included) are obsessed with the peak horsepower and peak torque #'s. a lot of this focus i believe is a product of the manufacturers pushing those #'s as selling points. keep in mind, there are much more important things than peak #'s. if the #'s peak and then drop off very quickly, you end up with a super peaky vehicle that has no top end. take a look at the hp and tq curves on the cobb and perrin websites, and you will see that as you go up in stages, from stock to stage 1 to stage 2, the peak #'s increase somewhat, but more importanly, the hp and tq curves flatten out, which means you have more power throughout the entire curve rather than a peaky engine.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

+1 all above...Even though I'm fighting the urge to install a downpipe as well...modding is addicting.

I'll be putting my AEM intake on this evening after work and flashig the stage I+AEM map and it will be my last power mod (assuming I have even a shred of willpower) until the warranty period ends.

Another user on here...Anxiouz...has gone stage 2 on his 2011 WRX already.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Why no downpipe until warranty is up. If something happens cant you just put everything back stock and reflash the stock tune and they will never know?!

That's certainly an option you have...it just seems like it could be a major PITA if you need any dealer servicing.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    Why no downpipe until warranty is up. If something happens cant you just put everything back stock and reflash the stock tune and they will never know?!
    If you decide to go with the DP make sure you put a good coating of high temp lube on the 5 bolts that fasten the DP to the turbo this will make things a lot easier if want to reinstall the stock DP.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    OTS tunes provided on the Cobb AP leave a lot to be desired. A custom/protune from a good tuner will be safer and make more power b/c it is specific to your WRX and not just any stage 2 2011 WRX. Think custom tailored verses one size fits all. Think of all the factors that go into a tune...parts used, quality of gas, altitude, etc.
    +1 to this. A quality stage 1 tune gives more peak power and a flatter curve than a COBB stage 2 tune. I would look into that before spending the money on a downpipe if you are at all worried about warranty.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    As was said, that's an option. I personally would just worry about an engine failure rendering the car undriveable. The thought of towing my car home to remove the DP and then towing it to the dealer seems like a waste of time and money for a just for a few extra HP. Of course I just think worst case to make sure I don't buy one myself. Could end up just being a CEL, you probably won't ever have an issue at all but no one goes Stage 2 and drives like a Grandma so who knows. Believe me my will power is waning also, but I'm just going to stick it out.

very true.... just got the front spoiler and it is amazing looking on the blue hatch!! goes very well with the black grill and everything

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011
    Even the greenest of Subaru techs would notice that downpipe bolts were tampered with.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC