Nameless Axleback on my hatch - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Nameless Axleback on my hatch within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rage-wrx Yep,got the whole deal,shift kit,rear endlinks,Xmember bushings,rear subframe bushings.Have yet to install the Xmember & endlinks. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    Yep,got the whole deal,shift kit,rear endlinks,Xmember bushings,rear subframe bushings.Have yet to install the Xmember & endlinks.

And its not too bad in the city,you just have to get used to the smell of piss.
    Don't bother with the crossmember bushings without the transmission mount. To install the bushings, you only have four bolts left to do the mount, and that will make more of a difference.

I've been down in the city enough for my liking. The only good part about my summer traveling back/forth was the Taconic, even though I was driving a Dodge Caravan.

If you feel like making a trip up here, I can get you cheap lift access ($10/hr, unless my buddy gets back from Singapore), which will make installing everything much easier. Plus, there's two great brewpubs in the area to visit (come up in the fall, and Browns has their Harvest IPA which is amazing). If you take me up on my offer, I can get the transmission mount for just about dealer cost.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-22-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Don't bother with the crossmember bushings without the transmission mount. To install the bushings, you only have four bolts left to do the mount, and that will make more of a difference.

I've been down in the city enough for my liking. The only good part about my summer traveling back/forth was the Taconic, even though I was driving a Dodge Caravan.

If you feel like making a trip up here, I can get you cheap lift access ($10/hr, unless my buddy gets back from Singapore), which will make installing everything much easier. Plus, there's two great brewpubs in the area to visit...
    I used to travel up & down the Taconic pkwy a lot with my Dad,who is a land surveyor,incidentally also in a Dodge Caravan.Nice wide roads,twisty in places,no traffic.

Thanks for the offer.I'm on a busy schedule right now,maybe I'll make the trip once I have some free time.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just wanted to add for reference I put one of these suckers on my STi 5 door. Love it. Nice and quiet around 2-3k while cruising along, but pretty mean sounding at start up and when you romp on it. Couldn't be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Awesome glad you like it! I'm 3000 miles into mine and still loving it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Awesome glad you like it! I'm 3000 miles into mine and still loving it.
    Did it 'break in' or get any louder like the stock one did? I'm assuming not since it is only one 'flange' connection that has changed.

I think I am going to double check in a bit that those two bolts didn't loosen up or anything.

First modification I have ever performed on a car. Glad I got those ramps. Wonder if the front lip of my car will clear them to work on shifter bushings... hrm.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Glad I got those ramps. Wonder if the front lip of my car will clear them to work on shifter bushings... hrm.
    what ramps do you have?I have these Amazon.com: Blitz Rhino Ramp 8000: Automotive & I was able to drive up the ramps with space to spare.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

really? and you didnt scrape? hmm...i tried with my ol mans metal ramps and i definitely would have grabbed. had to do my bushings with a jack and some blocks. might have to get me a set of those....
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

That's a really nice piece, but you can achieve the same sound effect by sliding 3 flat washers in between the midpipe and the muffler. That's money saved towards other mods that will help the car perform better.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    what ramps do you have?I have these Amazon.com: Blitz Rhino Ramp 8000: Automotive & I was able to drive up the ramps with space to spare.
    Good to know. Those are the same ones i have. Was close on width fit as well. With any wider tires, I think I would have been **** out of luck.

I will let you know the results with mine. After taking a second look at the front from the side, I have renewed confidence.

Posted from my phone ... Excuse the grammar.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by narstune View Post
    That's a really nice piece, but you can achieve the same sound effect by sliding 3 flat washers in between the midpipe and the muffler. That's money saved towards other mods that will help the car perform better.
    I dunno, it seems like three washers would just cause it to be raspy and obnoxius. Next time I want a quality built piece and a nice exhaust tone, I will just create an exhaust leak before my muffler.

...Didn't blow this much cash on a new STi to use washers in place of a different muffler.

To each their own though. Why did you buy a magnaflow cat back exhaust if three washers would do the same?

2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot that the STI has 18" wheels.The ramps were an exact fit for my 17".
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I dunno, it seems like three washers would just cause it to be raspy and obnoxius. Next time I want a quality built piece and a nice exhaust tone, I will just create an exhaust leak before my muffler.

...Didn't blow this much cash on a new STi to use washers in place of a different muffler.

To each their own though. Why did you buy a magnaflow cat back exhaust if three washers would do the same?

Actually, I already have the Magnaflow CBE off and it's currently for sale. I've been running the spacer trick for a couple days and I'm loving it. I can honestly say it sounds better than 90% of the 3rd gen catbacks I've seen in person.

I think you may not be picturing this right. You're not replacing the muffler at all. The flat washers sit in between the muffler and midpipe flange which takes about 10 minutes of your time.

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot that the STI has 18" wheels.The ramps were an exact fit for my 17".
    It's not that number 17/18 that was close for me, it was the 8.5" width. I was almost on both little 'guides' along the sides of the ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by narstune View Post
    Actually, I already have the Magnaflow CBE off and it's currently for sale. I've been running the spacer trick for a couple days and I'm loving it. I can honestly say it sounds better than 90% of the 3rd gen catbacks I've seen in person.

I think you may not be picturing this right. You're not replacing the muffler at all. The flat washers sit in between the muffler and midpipe flange which takes about 10 minutes of your time.
    I understand you correctly, but I like the sound of my set up now. While I highly doubt leaving a gap between the midpipe and muffler 'gives the same effect' as a well built muffler replacement, I'd at least try it if I wasn't so happy with my setup. This one is loud right where I want it, and quiet where I want it. While the washer trick might open the sound up a bit, I don't think I would get close to the same effect without altering the stock muffler.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    I was just offered the new "nameless" midpipe to go with the axleback.I'm contemplating on whether I need it.I like the way the car sounds now,I don't want it to be any louder.Any advise on what I stand to gain by adding the midpipe?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I was just offered the new "nameless" midpipe to go with the axleback.I'm contemplating on whether I need it.I like the way the car sounds now,I don't want it to be any louder.Any advise on what I stand to gain by adding the midpipe?
    More drone on the highway, dirty looks from neighbors, teenage boys in civics wanting to race.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast