Just ordered my Cobb AP
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just ordered my Cobb AP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Heyo! This is mostly a brag thread, but I'm just so excited that I finally pulled the trigger on the ...

Just ordered my Cobb AP

Heyo!

This is mostly a brag thread, but I'm just so excited that I finally pulled the trigger on the thing I had to share. I think I'll put an order in for the AEM intake shortly thereafter. It's pretty interesting...the Cobb website shows VERY small gains between the stage I AEM setup and the Stage II setup.

I also picked up a set of the kartboy shifter bushings and the kartboy delrin knob with a red kartboy shifter, so we'll see what a difference all that makes. I'll be sure to write up a quick review of my impressions of all of these.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    congrats. will you be going to stage I first or going right to II?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

All I need for the Stage II setup is the DP...but on cobb's website the dyno charts seem to show that the Stage II setup only offers minimal gains over the Stage I + AEM.

Idk...maybe it's worth 500 bucks just to be able to claim Stage II
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I've heard that even some COBB techs have recommended to just do the Stage 1+AEM over the stage 2. Congrats, you love it (but.... you'll just end up wanting more)
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde
    All I need for the Stage II setup is the DP...but on cobb's website the dyno charts seem to show that the Stage II setup only offers minimal gains over the Stage I + AEM.
    There's more to it than just the the peak values; it's the area under the curve.

In the low-end, there is 35wtq difference between the two.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There's more to it than just the the peak values; it's the area under the curve.

You do make a good point.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Very, very interesting...
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    It's that stretch from 2500 rpms t0 3500 rpms where the Stage 2 would open a real world lead on stage 1/AEM, and take it with each shift.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

You are exactly where I was about 6 weeks ago. I decided to find a used DP to complete the Cobb stage 2 + AEM. The drivability between the two setups is night and day IMO. If you frequently encounter stop and go traffic the low end torque is very helpful not to mention just more fun.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

After a few months of trying not spend any money on my car I am giving up. Going to order the AP from Perrin. Comes with a Perrin stage 1 map and foam drop in filter. I would really like to have the power gains from going stage 2 but I don't really want to be changing parts on a brand new car already and I really like the sound level of the stock exhaust.

So, until I can hear a turbo back exhaust I like in person I will be at stage 1.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

I probably should have mentioned that I have to run the 91 octane ACN maps...in which there is an even smaller difference between stage I+AEM and II than on the 93 octane. By all means I think Stage II will be quicker than Stage I.

But lets be honest...at some point the car will probably go Stage II with a pro tune. It's too addictive.

My AP and shifter bushings are sitting at my front door right now (and I'm not putting the address up here ) waiting for me when I get off work. Can't wait to throw these parts on.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    After a few months of trying not spend any money on my car I am giving up. Going to order the AP from Perrin. Comes with a Perrin stage 1 map and foam drop in filter. I would really like to have the power gains from going stage 2 but I don't really want to be changing parts on a brand new car already and I really like the sound level of the stock exhaust.

So, until I can hear a turbo back exhaust I like in person I will be at stage 1.
    Actually with the 2011 WRX's you don't even need a CBE. You can keep the stock CBE and just replace the downpipe with one with a high flow cat. That's my eventual plan...Stealth Stage II.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Actually with the 2011 WRX's you don't even need a CBE. You can keep the stock CBE and just replace the downpipe with one with a high flow cat. That's my eventual plan...Stealth Stage II.
    That is probably the route I am going. Talked with a tech from Cobb today and he said the gains are minimal from a cbe when going stage 2. He did mention you should not be doing any top speed runs or spending an extended amount of time in the boost with a dp + stock cbe.

Also, I looked at the dyno graphs for Stage 2 vs Stage 2 +AEM and looks like the intake is not worth the money. Ya, it may add a few hp on top end but that's not important for a daily driver. If you look at the torque curve from 2500 to 4500rpms it looks almost identical.

I need to decide between Cobb AP stage 2 with Cobb DP or Cobb AP with Perrin Stage 2 map and Perrin DP. DAMN THIS FORUM IS COSTING ME MONEY!!!! Hahaha!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    . Talked with a tech from Cobb today and he said the gains are minimal from a cbe when going stage 2. He did mention you should not be doing any top speed runs or spending an extended amount of time in the boost with a dp + stock cbe.
    What is the reasoning for that? I mean, not spending extended time in boost? why would you do something to your car that would keep you from using boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    What is the reasoning for that? I mean, not spending extended time in boost? why would you do something to your car that would keep you from using boost?
    He didn't give an exact reason. It does not keep your from using boost. I mean come on, when are you going to be in full boost for more than a few seconds at a time?? Even if you did 1/4 mile passes or auto crossed your only into full boost a few seconds at a time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.