Just ordered my Cobb AP - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just ordered my Cobb AP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; me too I'm on stage 1 93 and also am considering AEM.... So when you datalog it saves the file ...

me too I'm on stage 1 93 and also am considering AEM.... So when you datalog it saves the file and you upload it to your computer... and who can read it to see if everything is running right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    me too I'm on stage 1 93 and also am considering AEM.... So when you datalog it saves the file and you upload it to your computer... and who can read it to see if everything is running right?
    A number of people here can look at a log and give their insight, or you can find a local tuner.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Any word on the AEM? Curious to hear what your thoughts are.
    Well I installed it on Friday evening so I've had a few days to get used to it. I've gotta say that I absolutely love the Stage I maps on my car so far. The car feels so much smoother than it did before.

The most noticeable thing about the AEM setup is the NOISE. I'd never been in a turbo car with a CAI before but holy hell does it make quite a bit of noise when the turbo gets involved! The biggest surprise for me was how clearly you can hear the recirc as soon as you press the clutch in. My girlfriend explained it best I think, as she looked at me in slight terror: "it sounds ANGRY now!"

I've already mostly gotten used to it now, and I find it pretty cool to really hear it get "mad" when you get on the throttle. The car definitely FEELS faster since the install, but a lot of that could just be the added excitement the noise gives you. It also looks great in the engine bay and installation couldn't be much easier. For $265, I think it's money well spent.

I'm actually working on a progress thread (914er inspired) that I should have up in a few days with photos of everything.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I would buy the intake without hearing one in person. I feel the same way about an exhaust. I wouldn't mind the sound of an intake and exhaust when having some fun but just for day to day use it might be too much.

My Cobb AP should be here Wednesday so hopefully I am content with the Perrin stage 1 map.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    So far everything is going swimmingly with my Stage I map...I'll be putting on my AEM intake and flashing the 91ACN Stage I+AEM tonight, so I'll report (with some pictures) on how much of a difference that feels like!
    Sorry noob question, but what is ACN? I understand 91 or 93 is the gas octane you are using and the AEM is the CAI but not sure what ACN is implying? Haha thanks for the patience guys. This thread is really really pushing me toward getting an AP lol.
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by katzuu
    Sorry noob question, but what is ACN? I understand 91 or 93 is the gas octane you are using and the AEM is the CAI but not sure what ACN is implying? Haha thanks for the patience guys. This thread is really really pushing me toward getting an AP lol.
    Arizona/California/Nevada

They have such piss for gas, Cobb had to make a special map for them
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I had the short lived SPT intake on my 05 LGT (short lived cause it was too hard to tune). That intake was so loud it would scare old ladies and cats. You could hear wastegate futter and blow off............man I loved that intake lol
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Wow I want to facepalm so bad. FML!!!
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

True. Sad, but true.

In DD mode with music on at a reasonable level I don't hear my intake at all. With no stereo and casual driving you hear it very little, but it is noticeable.

When you really get on the throttle you'll hear the gurgling, sucking sound of the car absolutely inhaling all the air available, and then the "pssssh" of the recirc valve when you depress the clutch. It's really a trip, and I'm amazed at how quiet the stock intake is by comparison.

I like the stealthy nature of the stock exhaust...but now that my intake makes noise I'm wondering why I don't just throw a catback on the car Beware folks...modding is seriously addictive. I'm seriously killing myself to resist swaybars, endlinks, coilovers, and a downpipe.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Beware folks...modding is seriously addictive. I'm seriously killing myself to resist swaybars, endlinks, coilovers, and a downpipe.
    I got my 2011 wrx on February 5th, now take a look at my sig. As you can see the modding bug crawled directly up my ass, setup camp, multiplied, raised an army, established a F.O.B, and quickly initiated a campaign to systematically inflate my credit card debt

You've all been warned
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

True. Sad, but true.

In DD mode with music on at a reasonable level I don't hear my intake at all. With no stereo and casual driving you hear it very little, but it is noticeable.

When you really get on the throttle you'll hear the gurgling, sucking sound of the car absolutely inhaling all the air available, and then the "pssssh" of the recirc valve when you depress the clutch. It's really a trip, and I'm amazed at how quiet the stock intake is by comparison.

I like the stealthy nature of the stock exhaust...but now that my intake makes noise I'm wondering why I don't just throw a catback on the car Beware folks...modding is seriously addictive. I'm seriously killing myself to resist swaybars, endlinks, coilovers, and a downpipe.
    Think you can grab a video from in the car windows up and down?

I am trying my best not to mod also. I don't have a problem with spending $600 on a DP for the power of going stage 2 I am just concerned if I have a problem with the car. Chances of having a big warranty claim within the 5yr/60k is slim but you just never know.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Think you can grab a video from in the car windows up and down?

I am trying my best not to mod also. I don't have a problem with spending $600 on a DP for the power of going stage 2 I am just concerned if I have a problem with the car. Chances of having a big warranty claim within the 5yr/60k is slim but you just never know.
    I've got pretty much the same setup (AEM intake), so I'll try to get one up this evening. Also Rallisportdirect.com has some good sound clips of the most of the popular CBE's. The clips have sound from inside the car at 4 different speeds and rpm's, outside launch, and drive by. I have the Invidia Q300 and the sound in the clip is a good representation to the real thing.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Stlgrndskeeper View Post
    I've got pretty much the same setup (AEM intake), so I'll try to get one up this evening. Also Rallisportdirect.com has some good sound clips of the most of the popular CBE's. The clips have sound from inside the car at 4 different speeds and rpm's, outside launch, and drive by. I have the Invidia Q300 and the sound in the clip is a good representation to the real thing.
    You have any regrets with the Q300? looking to get a CBE but stuck between the SPT, Q300 or Cobb. I actually want a little more cabin noise (but not drone) during spirted driving, so I dont have to constantly to be looking at the tack.
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

None. I absolutely love it! You'll hear plenty of growl and rumble inside the cabin when you get on it, and drone is minimal while cruising. Also the Q300 is the least expensive ($900) of the three you've listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stlgrndskeeper View Post
    None. I absolutely love it! You'll hear plenty of growl and rumble inside the cabin when you get on it, and drone is minimal while cruising. Also the Q300 is the least expensive ($900) of the three you've listed.
    If you shop around, you can really find deals on them. I paid $750 for mine, the quality is top notch and the fitment was perfect. I don't have a DP yet so can't comment on the sound difference there but with just the CBE, it sounds great and not too loud.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast