Just ordered my Cobb AP - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 75

This is a discussion on Just ordered my Cobb AP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ElVerde Heyo! This is mostly a brag thread, but I'm just so excited that I finally pulled ...

  1. #16
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Heyo!

    This is mostly a brag thread, but I'm just so excited that I finally pulled the trigger on the thing I had to share. I think I'll put an order in for the AEM intake shortly thereafter. It's pretty interesting...the Cobb website shows VERY small gains between the stage I AEM setup and the Stage II setup.

    I also picked up a set of the kartboy shifter bushings and the kartboy delrin knob with a red kartboy shifter, so we'll see what a difference all that makes. I'll be sure to write up a quick review of my impressions of all of these.

    Also, make sure you post your thoughts on going stage 1 with the Cobb AP.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    He didn't give an exact reason. It does not keep your from using boost. I mean come on, when are you going to be in full boost for more than a few seconds at a time?? Even if you did 1/4 mile passes or auto crossed your only into full boost a few seconds at a time.
    Well, full boost and "in boost" are a little different I think. Also, my guess would be in a 1/4 mile you would be in boost for most of the run right?

  4. #18
    Registered User ElVerde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    650
    Ok, so my first impressions of the Stage 1 map are "holy hell why did I wait so long to do this sooner!?"

    The most noticeable thing initially is how much smooths the car pulls. Idle speed feels lower (about 700 rpm) but the car is much less lumpy and jerky. It really feels like a totally different car. It is also noticeably faster, pulls harder, and pulls sooner than it used to.

    The kartboy knob is better than expected. It's heavier than I thought it would be. It is much smaller than the stock knob which I like.

    I haven't had a chance to install the shifter bushings yet but I'll give you guys an update when I do.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

  5. #19
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,824
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde
    I haven't had a chance to install the shifter bushings yet but I'll give you guys an update when I do.
    Which bushings? Front and rear?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  6. #20
    Registered User ElVerde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    650
    Only the front bushings for now...from what I've heard they make the largest difference and the rear bushings will increase noise in the cabin a lot more. I may add the rears later on though.

    I've gotta say, the Kartboy knob is really growing on me. It's about half the height of the stock knob and makes the throws feel shorter and crisper. I'll get some pictures up later for you guys
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

  7. #21
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    Well, full boost and "in boost" are a little different I think. Also, my guess would be in a 1/4 mile you would be in boost for most of the run right?
    Yes, for 13-15 seconds. He was talking about being wot for an extended amount of time like a top speed run. Which I have no intentions of doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Ok, so my first impressions of the Stage 1 map are "holy hell why did I wait so long to do this sooner!?"

    The most noticeable thing initially is how much smooths the car pulls. Idle speed feels lower (about 700 rpm) but the car is much less lumpy and jerky. It really feels like a totally different car. It is also noticeably faster, pulls harder, and pulls sooner than it used to.

    The kartboy knob is better than expected. It's heavier than I thought it would be. It is much smaller than the stock knob which I like.

    I haven't had a chance to install the shifter bushings yet but I'll give you guys an update when I do.
    Awesome!! I just ordered the Cobb AP from Perrin. I got it from Perrin because they offer a free drop in air filter and a map that claims to be more aggressive than the Cobb maps. And if I go stage 2 down the road they offer a free stage 2 map as well.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

  8. #22
    Registered User ElVerde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    650
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the Perrin maps, so that should work out nicely for you. You should be able to run either Cobb or Perrin maps on that AP, so you'll be fine either way.

    I'm seriously in awe at how crappy the factory tune must be on these cars.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

  9. #23
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the Perrin maps, so that should work out nicely for you. You should be able to run either Cobb or Perrin maps on that AP, so you'll be fine either way.

    I'm seriously in awe at how crappy the factory tune must be on these cars.
    That's what I figured, why not have them both just to compare. Hopefully I have good results like you.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

  10. #24
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,824
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde
    Only the front bushings for now...from what I've heard they make the largest difference and the rear bushings will increase noise in the cabin a lot more. I may add the rears later on though.
    I respectfully disagree.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  11. #25
    Registered User ElVerde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    650
    If you've installed them, then you know infinitely more about the impact the bushings will have than I do...So I can't really argue with you.

    Good news is that a member on here is selling his rear bushing to me for 20 bucks...so I won't have the chance to find out whether it's true or not. both bushings will go on the car at the same time.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

  12. #26
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,824
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde
    If you've installed them, then you know infinitely more about the impact the bushings will have than I do...So I can't really argue with you.

    Good news is that a member on here is selling his rear bushing to me for 20 bucks...so I won't have the chance to find out whether it's true or not. both bushings will go on the car at the same time.
    If you like the improvement of the front/rear bushings, you need to install the shift linkage ones.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  13. #27
    Registered User SPT2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    175
    answered a lot of my questions... the cobb access port is amazing I dont know why anyone would get perrin or w/e.... stage 1 is great imo but stock wasn't really all that bad. Its not night and day with me but im really suprised that stage 2 is only 316 hp.... over stage 1 which was not much less... is stage 2 cobb with aem intake and dp safe?

  14. #28
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,824
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011
    the cobb access port is amazing I dont know why anyone would get perrin or w/e....
    Because Perrin gives you a free map of theirs if you order the AP through them. The contract for being an authorized AP dealer states you can't sell the product for less than MSRP, so in order to entice customers, dealers can only throw in extras to help "drop the cost". Having the option of using the Cobb or Perrin map is nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011
    stage 1 is great imo but stock wasn't really all that bad. Its not night and day with me but im really suprised that stage 2 is only 316 hp.... over stage 1 which was not much less... is stage 2 cobb with aem intake and dp safe?
    Stock tune is garbage. As I posted earlier, there's more to the difference than just peak numbers. Area under the curve and overall driveability are more important factors.

    As for a Cobb tune being safe, every car reacts differently. The only way to tell how well your car is taking the map would be to datalog. I've datalogged AP maps that are knock-free, and others that pull timing on every WOT run.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  15. #29
    Registered User ElVerde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    650
    +1 on the perrin maps. It makes sense if you're interested in running a perrin map because perrin charges something like $180 dollars for its maps alone.

    Whether stage II is "safe" is a difficult question to answer. Generally, Cobb has been regarded as fairly conservative and "safe", but as the previous poster stated...this can vary based on your car. I'd recommend datalogging your car.

    So far everything is going swimmingly with my Stage I map...I'll be putting on my AEM intake and flashing the 91ACN Stage I+AEM tonight, so I'll report (with some pictures) on how much of a difference that feels like!
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

  16. #30
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    +1 on the perrin maps. It makes sense if you're interested in running a perrin map because perrin charges something like $180 dollars for its maps alone.

    Whether stage II is "safe" is a difficult question to answer. Generally, Cobb has been regarded as fairly conservative and "safe", but as the previous poster stated...this can vary based on your car. I'd recommend datalogging your car.

    So far everything is going swimmingly with my Stage I map...I'll be putting on my AEM intake and flashing the 91ACN Stage I+AEM tonight, so I'll report (with some pictures) on how much of a difference that feels like!
    Any word on the AEM? Curious to hear what your thoughts are.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •