STi intake manifold on 2011 WRX???

This is a discussion on STi intake manifold on 2011 WRX??? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Attachment 96173 i was wondering if anyone knew if the sti intake manifold would fit on the 08+ wrx. i ...

STi intake manifold on 2011 WRX???

Attachment 96173

i was wondering if anyone knew if the sti intake manifold would fit on the 08+ wrx. i know they both have a 2.5 liter engine, so i was wondering if it was a straight swap of if i needed to do some mod?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The heads are different so I don't think they'll fit.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Banned
    heads are the same, both are a 2.5l motor. inside the heads are different but that doesnt matter.

you'll need the STI TB, fuel lines unless you make your own, TMIC, MAP sensor that bolts to the manifold but the connection is different than your OEM connector so you'll need the connector that goes with the STI wire harness and you’ll have to cut and splice the wires, you'll also have to extend your wires because your MAP is up front and the STI MAP is in the back by the TB. im sure there’s a lot more and its totally not worth it. why use a metal piece that gets hotter than your plastic OEM? the STI's need phenolic spacers, your plastic manifold doesnt.

Reply to all.

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    heads are the same, both are a 2.5l motor. inside the heads are different but that doesnt matter.

you'll need the STI TB, fuel lines unless you make your own, TMIC, MAP sensor that bolts to the manifold but the connection is different than your OEM connector so you'll need the connector that goes with the STI wire harness and you’ll have to cut and splice the wires, you'll also have to extend your wires because your MAP is up front and the STI MAP is in the back by the TB. im sure there’s a lot more and its totally not worth it. why use a metal piece that gets hotter than your plastic OEM? the STI's need phenolic spacers, your plastic manifold doesnt.

I have a 2011 WRX that I just upgraded to a Dominator Turbo, AMS 3" inlet hose, Perrin Cold air, Perrin DP, Nvidia Catback, Koyo Rad, DW 301 Fuel Pump, DW injectorsSTi and it fit perfectly. The Vacuum hoses are the ONLY thing I had to re work because the 08 STi manifold I am using doesn't have all the Nipples the 2011 Manifold has so a lot of T's were used to connect them. The throttle body fit in perfectly in it's place. The fuel lines ran perfectly underneath and didn't have to re run them. All electrical lines stayed in place. Only issues vacuum hoses were one, the coolant line running behind the manifold into the block I had to pry a little to move out of the way. I had an extra nipple on a line that ran with the Fuel lines that at first confused me as to where it connected. Didn't know if it connected to a pressure line or another nipple on the manifold. I ordered another set of Vacuum hoses for $39.99 and reworked all that was needed. Still don't know where that hose on that line went to so I just plugged it. turned the key and started up with the tune I had prior. No issues. So my suggestion is if you're going to spend the money on a manifold buy an APS or Cossworth....don't waste your time with something that will not increase your power if that is truly what you are looking for!

Sebastian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo4.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	104551
    Last edited by Sebastian.Solo; 05-01-2012 at 04:14 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you running the WRX TMIC?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    good job
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo9.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	104573Thanks Sinister.

Donkey,
    That is a negative. In the mean time while I wait to get my Custom FMIC I am running a stock 07 STi Top Mount Intercooler reason being it only cost me $100 at T.A.E. Used Auto Parts. It came out of a Wrecked STi. Since I pulled it they didn't charge me for anything. Let me know what parts you need and I can get you a price. Turbos like the VF52 are hard to come by that's why I just decided to just Upgrade. A new 52 will cost anywhere from $1400-$1800 so I went with a Dominator 2.5. So far the gains are amazing running a stage three Map from from XPS tuning that I was running before all the upgrades. Need my FMIC before I actually go pro tune it. lol
    Last edited by Sebastian.Solo; 05-02-2012 at 10:48 AM.

the before and after of my work. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo10.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	104574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo11.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	104575

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian.Solo View Post
    the before and after of my work. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo10.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	104574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo11.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	104575
    Nice build! Ive got one question. Is it possible to do this sti intake manifold and tmic swap with the vf52? From what I see, the compressor's position on the 2011 wrx is vertical and the sti's horizontal.
    I wanted to know because I've been planning to swap my 2011 wrx intake manifold and tmic with the sti's...

I Support ClubWRX
    You can not do this with the 08+ WRX TMIC.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    You can not do this with the 08+ WRX TMIC.
    No. You can use any manifold from an 04-07 STi on any 04-07 WRX. The same for 08-11 you can swap as well, now you can no longer use the WRX intercooler if it's an 08+. I'm sure the 04-06 throttle body is the same in the 06-07 WRX/STi. I will let you know for sure when I research it. Mine was no issue at all. But definitely the stock WRX intercooler goes out the door! I getting a custom front mount and I'm going to use the top mounts for an oil cooler. I will let you all know how that goes on another post.

Quote Originally Posted by lugowrx View Post
    Nice build! Ive got one question. Is it possible to do this sti intake manifold and tmic swap with the vf52? From what I see, the compressor's position on the 2011 wrx is vertical and the sti's horizontal.
    I wanted to know because I've been planning to swap my 2011 wrx intake manifold and tmic with the sti's...
    My bad bro. When you do a swap you need an STi turbo, intercooler, and mounts. Definitely spend the $40 bucks on new manifold gaskets. Besides the vd52 is crap. Get a Dominator 1.0 and you'll be good to go. The sleeve bearing in the vd series starve real easy. So stay on top of oil changes! I have a lot of friends that own subies. We customize a lot. Any questions please feel free!

Sorry to restart an old thread and probably ask a noob question but I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the swap and haven't found an answer to whether or not you can use the wrx tb on the sti intake manifold. I have an '11 wrx and was wondering if that's what you did. Any advice or answers are greatly appreciated!
    Boost. It does a body good.

2011 WRB Premium WRX Stage 1 - Cobb AP - Cobb SRI - GrimmSpeed MCB - SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod with Prosport Halo Boost and Oil Pressure gauges - Cusco F/R STB - JVC Navi Head Unit - Whiteline 24mm FSB/22mm RSB - Kartboy Endlinks - Kartboy STS + Bushings - 35% tint

Quote Originally Posted by ForsaknFrntman View Post
    Sorry to restart an old thread and probably ask a noob question but I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the swap and haven't found an answer to whether or not you can use the wrx tb on the sti intake manifold. I have an '11 wrx and was wondering if that's what you did. Any advice or answers are greatly appreciated!
    Just for future reference, tb=turbo back. The 2011 wrx turbo won't fit with the STI intake manifold WITH the OEM WRX or STI Intercooler.

The wrx turbo compressor configuration is pointing upward.
    The STI turbo compressor configuration is pointing sideways, to the driver' side.

BUT, you can use your 2011 wrx turbo (VF-52) with the Sti intake manifold if you install a Front mount Intercooler. But that would be a waste of money, time and work.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks for the info! I guess this just means a turbo upgrade is necessary in order to run the sti intake manifold on my wrx. The wrx throttle body will fit though because its still dbw?
    Boost. It does a body good.

2011 WRB Premium WRX Stage 1 - Cobb AP - Cobb SRI - GrimmSpeed MCB - SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod with Prosport Halo Boost and Oil Pressure gauges - Cusco F/R STB - JVC Navi Head Unit - Whiteline 24mm FSB/22mm RSB - Kartboy Endlinks - Kartboy STS + Bushings - 35% tint