Intake silencer delete vs. aftermarket BOV.

This is a discussion on Intake silencer delete vs. aftermarket BOV. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright, ive been reading and reading... about the effects of an aftermarket BOV aswell as an intake silencer delete... and ...

Intake silencer delete vs. aftermarket BOV.

alright, ive been reading and reading... about the effects of an aftermarket BOV aswell as an intake silencer delete... and like usual i keep on hearing good and bad things about both... i guess what im asking is if an aftermarket BOV is gunna be more of a threat then a sweet noise, and is an intake silencer delete actually create the same swoosh sound as a BOV? also regarding the silencer delete, will that have any negative affect on my engine or cars performence?... as you may have guessed im a sucker for that sound but i am not willing to go through any engine trouble to get it ... whats the deal guys? thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well with a silencer delete you'll get a mild swoosh sound, faster turbo spool, and no negative issues.... the bov might make you run rich in between gears, and can cause you to throw a cel...
    so with that being said.... the silencer delete is free and no negative side effects and the bov costs money and can potentially hurt your engine....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I get the spool sound as well as a nice blow off sound, people in my back seat hear it just fine even with the radio up just below speaking level.

As 06scooby said there, aside from the sound, there is no positive advantage of an aftermarket BOV but I would add that there is no benefit until a certain point along the mod path, which most people never see.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks for the info guys... from what i have read and what i hear from you guys im leaning towards the delete on my stock intake system... but sooner or later i will be getting an aftermarket intake of some sort... does the delete work on aftermarket? is it even necessary? new to turbo...

The silence delete basicly gets rid of alot of exra junk in the fenderwall that is supposed to eliminate the sounds of the intake.
    Take it off and see what it sounds like!
    Getting an aftermarket intake most likely will remove that silencer anyways. I have a CAI in mine and the sounds that produce make it sound like i have an aftermarket bov.
    I'm not really into that too much but once in a while it makes me feel faster =)
    Kind of like putting stickers on my car
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

lol yea i hear ya man... alright well thanks for the info guys.... here goes nothing...

Just do the silencer delete alone, or get a SRI with the delete. I just installed my cobb sf, and the stock bpv sounds just like a bov. Also can hear the turbo spool very clearly, and air being sucked in by the intake. Also i feel a small increase in throttle response, and the turbo starts spooling at lower RPMs. NO need for a bov on the stock turbo.

-Matt

Throwing in my $0.02.

I personally wouldn't delete the silencer or get a BOV. The silencer/snorkus connects your air box to the front intake snorkal, which is a good source of fresh air, plus it acts a little bit like a ram air scoop when in motion. Some DIY mods allow for removing the big "milk jug" (as some call it) and retaining main snorkus plumbing.

If you go for an aftermarket intake, I would only go with the stock intake or the Cobb SF intake / Airbox combo and still retain the silencer/snorkal assembly.

Again, its your car, do what you want to do with it. We here only offer our opinions and advice.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Oh boy... this is like asking "do I eat cereal for breakfast or steak for dinner?" There is very little similar between the two modifications...

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    I personally wouldn't delete the silencer or get a BOV. The silencer/snorkus connects your air box to the front intake snorkal, which is a good source of fresh air, plus it acts a little bit like a ram air scoop when in motion. Some DIY mods allow for removing the big "milk jug" (as some call it) and retaining main snorkus plumbing.
    The "silencer" is actually the big "milk jug" to which you're referring. So, the "silencer delete mod" actually replaces the resonator (aka "silencer" or "milk jug") with a PVC elbow. You get the best of both worlds!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The "silencer" is actually the big "milk jug" to which you're referring. So, the "silencer delete mod" actually replaces the resonator (aka "silencer" or "milk jug") with a PVC elbow. You get the best of both worlds!
    I stand corrected.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods