replacement turbo unit for '02 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on replacement turbo unit for '02 wrx within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there a replace turbo unit for a stock '02 wrx that will not require upgrading the fuel system? think ...

replacement turbo unit for '02 wrx

Is there a replace turbo unit for a stock '02 wrx that will not require upgrading the fuel system? think my turbo is on its last leg and am looking for a replacement for when this one kicks the dust, from all the posts I have seen, the VF series and 16G both require atleast fuel injector upgrades which I really dont care to take on right now. I'm not looking to get anything bigger, just a replacement for when this thing croaks. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just get a stock turbo used from someone..

...what makes you think your turbo is dying?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    +1 on stock turbo. They sell for less than $100 all the time
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Tech at the dealer said it was that or the uppipe, car does not boost past 7 psi and is a little sluggish. I really didn't know because I had never driver a wrx before buying this one so I had nothing to compare it against. This might seem silly but I checked the usual places I could think of(amazon and ebay) and didnt come across much there. I also checked the for sale board here and not much came up, am I missing looking somewhere? Thanks for the feedback so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dludedwrx View Post
    Tech at the dealer said it was that or the uppipe, car does not boost past 7 psi and is a little sluggish. I really didn't know because I had never driver a wrx before buying this one so I had nothing to compare it against. This might seem silly but I checked the usual places I could think of(amazon and ebay) and didnt come across much there. I also checked the for sale board here and not much came up, am I missing looking somewhere? Thanks for the feedback so far.
    Not sure what your uppipe would be doing other than if it had a crack. Sounds like you might be running in limp mode. Do you have any CEL's? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Other things to keep in mind is it could be something else like a dead fuel pump, maf, etc. As for the turbo, get on NASIOC.com and look at the private for sale threads. I know there are atleast 3 or 4 TD04's for sale right now
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

No CEL's (yes the CEL light works, just put the car into test mode with the green connectors), as far as I know there are no vacuum leaks , the dealer tech said he checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find one. After putting the car into test mode, it looks like the BCS may be dead(no clicking during test mode). I am curious, how would a dead fuel pump affect boost? Would I not notice other things? Will check NASIOC for the turbo. I may go ahead and do a catless uppipe anyway because from what I am reading and from what the dealer said, if the cat goes bad, it can/will ruin the turbo itself. With the catless turbo, will that affect emmissions any?

Thanks for all the help so far. I have to say, I am getting a little excited knowing that I may get a car running full boost out of this

Quote Originally Posted by dludedwrx View Post
    No CEL's (yes the CEL light works, just put the car into test mode with the green connectors), as far as I know there are no vacuum leaks , the dealer tech said he checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find one. After putting the car into test mode, it looks like the BCS may be dead(no clicking during test mode). I am curious, how would a dead fuel pump affect boost? Would I not notice other things? Will check NASIOC for the turbo. I may go ahead and do a catless uppipe anyway because from what I am reading and from what the dealer said, if the cat goes bad, it can/will ruin the turbo itself. With the catless turbo, will that affect emmissions any?

Thanks for all the help so far. I have to say, I am getting a little excited knowing that I may get a car running full boost out of this
    dead fuel pump = less fuel = less power = lower boost. Good choice on the uppipe, and no your emsisions will be fine
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

i bet that you don't have the restrictor pill in your vacuum line from the wastegate. with out that little brass pill inside the vacuum line, the car will only boost a maximum of 7psi.

MY car does the SAME thing!!

Hello,

My car has been doing this very exact thing. I will def check for that hose and see if there is anything there. Where can i buy this? what is the name of the part just in case we need to order from the dealer? Thanks.

-Sal
    02 bugeye

K so the Pill is there.....

SO i checked and the pill is still in the vacuum line. I did find the vacuum line connecting the wastegate to the T fitting was torn. I replaced it and was hoping that was the problem but again no results. It seems that was not the culprit. Im still only boosting .05 Mpa/near 7 psi..... Im gonna check the rest of the vacuum lines tomorrow. I was wondering if it could be that i need to adjust the wastegate? Any tips would help i have been trying to figure this out for a few months now.

-Sal
    02 Bugeye

I have a factory BCS for sale if you wind up needing one... Here's a link to my for sale thread on another forum. Hope you figure this all out soon!

FS (USA,PA): Multiple factory WRX parts - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.