Ej257 in wrx question

This is a discussion on Ej257 in wrx question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I'm rebuilding my 03 wrx's engine...right now its got the hybrid engine, but as it spun some bearings and ...

Ej257 in wrx question

Okay, I'm rebuilding my 03 wrx's engine...right now its got the hybrid engine, but as it spun some bearings and chewed up everything on the inside, I need pretty much an entire new engine. So far, I've had more luck finding complete STi engines than I have a shortblock... So, to cut to the chase, my question is this. I've heard that to run 2.5L Heads on the 2.5L block, I would need to replace the computer and entire wiring harness. However, a local person with a ridiculously nice scoob who does a fair amount of his own tuning and work claims that theres a way around that...I don't know which to believe. Can someone, definitively, tell me if I CAN just go all the way and put in a complete STi engine, or should I find a completely forged shortblock to put on the existing 2.0 heads? I'm not really willing to bust out the cash to replace the computer and wiring harness at this point...but I would love to just go the rest of the way and put a complete EJ257 with a VF39 on instead of having the hybrid with a dinky turbo and heads. On the other hand...Would a stock Ej257 with the vf39 be okay with the 5 speed? I wouldn't wanna grenade my tranny right when I get it back

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well hooking up a 257 w/ VF39 to your 5 speed is signing its death warrant. To answer your other questions, the harness you can keep stock, that is the beauty of going with a hybrid swap. The STi heads come with AVCS which your stock harness is not compatible with so keeping your heads keeps your harness. Now the ECU, required to swap? No. Required to get tuned after the block swap? Yes.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

Well, I figured so with the transmission. However, since that post, here's what's up...Buying a factory 2.5 shortblock, brand new, from importimageracing. Also, having equilibrium tuning do the remanufacturing process they developed that matches the 2.0 heads to the 2.5 combustion chamber. Then, via tactrix and openport, getting a base map, also probably from equilibrium tuning, and reflashing the ECU until such time as I can get a proffesional tune. That gets the engine rebuilt reliably, much more reliably than it was, Doesn't completely grenade my tranny, and includes a basic map that will allow the engine to run safely. Time to break some bank. However, Now i just have one problem..I'm confused about equilibrium tunings head service, because I've only been able to find one link, on a thread they started on nasioc, for the PDF form that must be filled out before sending the heads in....and that link doesn't work. Anyone happen to know where to find that PDF, or has anyone dealt with equilibrium through importimageracing before? I can order that service through importimage, but I don't see how paying $400 upfront without having shipped the heads is a good idea.