Turbo needs to be replaced??

This is a discussion on Turbo needs to be replaced?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Please!!! Hey guys & girls, I have an 07 WRX with a K&N panel. After installing an invidia bellmouth cattless ...

Angry Turbo needs to be replaced??

Please!!!
    Hey guys & girls, I have an 07 WRX with a K&N panel. After installing an invidia bellmouth cattless dp and uppie with a Borla Hush, my turbos makes a high buzz when COLD while putting any boost to it. The warmer it gets, the less it does it and the more boost required to make that sound at all. After warming up quite a bit, it stops completly. What in the world??? It drives me crazy. I was super careful when I did the work, I'm not sure whats up. Any thoughts??
    ....I'm just sayin'....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    did you get tuned after installing those mods?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ what Dez said. From your details, I assume you flashed the Cobb Stage II map.

You're probably hearing the turbo through the exhaust. With my Cobb catted DP and catback exhaust, I hear a very audible high-pitched whine through the exhaust when I boost. Removing the resonators is likely the root cause. Are you hitting target boost?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yes, I got the stage 2 map.

It dosent sound like the turbo spool, it sounds like a high-pitched reeeeeeee rattle whose pitch rises as the turbo spools higher, then immediatly cuts when it cuts. Also, I'm not hearing it from the exhaust but from the turbo area it self.

The turbo itself dosent seem to have any trouble spooling or hitting boost. (Although it's kinda 'bouncy' sometimes if I'm not WOT and its kinda cold.)

I asked about this on nasioc and got so many answers from detonation to waste gate chatter to wrong cd in the stereo....well, almost.

If the turbo's not getting enough oil could that cause it? If the lines were coked up?? I was running w/o a turbo timer for the first 2 years and although I ALWAYS tried to let it cool before shut-off, there may have been a few times that I had to run it kinda/hard to work and shut it off almost immediatly. Like I said, this didnt happen many times and I now have a tt. I'm just throwing info out....what ya think?

Also, it just started after the mods; like the turbo dosent know what to do with the new ability to breath so good. idk.
    ....I'm just sayin'....

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like classic up pipe leak actually. Since the up pipe was on your list of recent additions, that's where my bet goes.

Did you make sure to replace ALL of the gaskets along the way and torque down the bolts/nuts to their appropriate specs, as well as doing it evenly? Check the torque on the bolts, you might be surprised what you find.

Also, for what it's worth, your car doesn't need a turbo timer, at all, period. The cool down time from running it to parking is plenty, and the turbo is even fed coolant after shutting it off. I highly doubt your turbo has gone out.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 11-12-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Sounds like classic up pipe leak actually. Since the up pipe was on your list of recent additions, that's where my bet goes.

Did you make sure to replace ALL of the gaskets along the way and torque down the bolts/nuts to their appropriate specs, as well as doing it evenly? Check the torque on the bolts, you might be surprised what you find.

Also, for what it's worth, your car doesn't need a turbo timer, at all, period. The cool down time from running it to parking is plenty, and the turbo is even fed coolant after shutting it off. I highly doubt your turbo has gone out.
    Thanks for the reply man. If I remember correctly, the parts all came with new gaskets and I'm quite sure I torqued them correctly and evenly. (I'm a drummer, it comes naturally)

I hope to be changing the diff and trans fluid soon and I will recheck those bolts.

An untorqued uppie does all that I mentioned? Kinda makes sense though, it warms up and expands, causing the gap to tighten eliminating the problem. Hmmm, we shall see.

Anyone else have any other ideas? Holla

ps: You mentioned that "the turbo is fed coolant even after shutting it off." How does the coolant circulate after the engine is off? Just wondering; I still have alot to learn bout this stuff.
    Last edited by ~HolyNinja~; 11-12-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    ....I'm just sayin'....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ~HolyNinja~ View Post
    Thanks for the reply man. If I remember correctly, the parts all came with new gaskets and I'm quite sure I torqued them correctly and evenly. (I'm a drummer, it comes naturally)

I hope to be changing the diff and trans fluid soon and I will recheck those bolts.

An untorqued uppie does all that I mentioned? Kinda makes sense though, it warms up and expands, causing the gap to tighten eliminating the problem. Hmmm, we shall see.

Anyone else have any other ideas? Holla

ps: You mentioned that "the turbo is fed coolant even after shutting it off." How does the coolant circulate after the engine is off? Just wondering; I still have alot to learn bout this stuff.
    Some bolts can work themselves out a bit after having warmed up and cooled off, it happens all the time, so it's a good place to start looking.

The turbo is gravity/drop fed coolant, it's not a flow per se, but a small flow is created thanks to the heat, that is why the secondary resevoir is where it is.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I see. Thanks again friend. Man, I'm gonna be one happy guy if I dont have to replace that turbo! Id love to throw a FP 68hta on it, but I have too many other places for my money to go right now....like having to fix my bumper, airline tickets, house siding for the summer...man. I really need lots more $$. Anyone else ever feel that way...
    ....I'm just sayin'....

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem dude, happy to help. I'm sure your turbo is fine, especially considering the terms under which the sound started. It sounds like the countless other people who have had the same exact problem after replacing their uppipes, so good luck to you.

I hear you on the money thing though, there just never seems to be enough of it.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

You should always re-torque the bolts on a downpipe, uppipe, and rest of the exhaust since they will loosen after the first time. The huge temp variation you get causes them to loosen.

I'm still trying to figure out why being a drummer makes you torque things correctly though.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why being a drummer makes you torque things correctly though.....
    I'm guessing from tightening the drum skins?

Also, exhaust gaskets are very sensitive to over-torquing. It can be very easy to crush a lower quality gasket leading to failure. What did you torque them to? I can't recall the exact figure, but it's somewhere around 18 ft*lb.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'