2009 model year Engine failures - the debate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2009 model year Engine failures - the debate within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by anxiouz I'm assuming this thread was spawned from somewhere else since it just kinda starts mid-discussion? My ...

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    I'm assuming this thread was spawned from somewhere else since it just kinda starts mid-discussion?

My 2 cents...Subaru "fixed" that late-summer of 08 build issue on WRXs and it only impacts those few production months. I remember reading about a very specific change to the build materials (going from aluminum to silver or something) that didn't hold up to heat as well. My understanding was that the "fix" in Sept/Oct was to just go back to the original material. So I believe the line-in-the-sand and that this is no longer an issue. Any failures past build dates of Oct 08 have been rare, completely random, and IMO not related.

However, I do not believe the STI ringland failure has ever been addressed. Besides saving a ton of money, that's actually the #1 why I chose an 11 WRX over an STI...I feel that the WRXs have had their issue fixed whereas the STIs haven't.
    Yeah, I was guilty of threadjacking Binjoau's build thread so Rogan created a new one.

What you're saying highlights my point--there are a few different stories floating around about how Subaru "fixed" the problem and we don't know what is exactly the truth. Someone over on NASIOC (IIRC Michael Yourt or something like that) suspected his '09 was affected and in the end it did fail around 25k miles. He did a really good job harassing SOA about the problem and eventually got out of them that the cranks (not sure if it is all or a subset) were not prepared properly for the silver bearings. I understood it as them still using silver bearings but having the cranks cleaned to the necessary specs. Not sure though and I think I read someone who had a Blackstone analysis on their later build date and there was zero silver, which was support what you said.

And to be honest, who knows how reliable any of the information I cited is. After all, it came off the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by turbospeed View Post
    i get your points which are good but either way there have been waaay to many failures of the same nature and how many failures of the 10's and up have you heard of with any of the same problems? there are way to many near the same dates to rule it out that subaru is hiding something there. your right about speculating but you can't deny that something was up. ok ill try this another way....can you prove that they are all cooincidences.
    I'm not questioning whether or not there was a problem in the '09s and definitely did not say anything about the '10s. All I'm saying is that we don't have enough information yet to determine an exact cutoff of build dates or vins when the problem was completely corrected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hear ya. My head is a lil foggy remembering all of the research I did before buying my car but both of those things (silver bearings and crank cleaning specs) sound familiar to me. My understanding was that it was just the bearings that changed but it's possible there was more to it. I see what you're getting at.

My biggest gripe is how Subaru is handling stuff like this. They don't release TSB's or recalls or anything to truly investigate it. They just wait until the customer shows up at a dealer with a broken car. So I think this thread just backs that up...we will likely never truly know what the deal is.

Now, I do realize that it's easier/cheaper for them to just fix cars as they come in instead of having a Recall. Plus people who don't go on the internet won't know that this problem is even out there.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Yeah, I was guilty of threadjacking Binjoau's build thread so Rogan created a new one.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    I hear ya. My head is a lil foggy remembering all of the research I did before buying my car but both of those things (silver bearings and crank cleaning specs) sound familiar to me. My understanding was that it was just the bearings that changed but it's possible there was more to it. I see what you're getting at.

My biggest gripe is how Subaru is handling stuff like this. They don't release TSB's or recalls or anything to truly investigate it. They just wait until the customer shows up at a dealer with a broken car. So I think this thread just backs that up...we will likely never truly know what the deal is.

Now, I do realize that it's easier/cheaper for them to just fix cars as they come in instead of having a Recall. Plus people who don't go on the internet won't know that this problem is even out there.
    Unfortunately it all comes down to money for the manufacturers rather than fessing up to mistakes, subaru is defintely not the only one to do this there are others to blame as well. The biggest two things that piss me off is the fact that dealers deny that there is even a problem which is absoulte bs and that they pawn the problem off on mods to get out of it, i don't see how a dp could be a problem for a spun rod bearing. Then there's the fact about subaru's expensive ass fluid changes that cost as much as a car payment. that is a whole different story, i will keep this on track with the way it is going

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12