WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; NOx is measured, however the car is static. This means there will be no load on the motor when the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    NOx is measured, however the car is static. This means there will be no load on the motor when the car is revved. This should help.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I just moved to Denver from Colorado Springs (which doesn't have emission testing) and I was planning on get a catted DP just to pass emissions. It would seem that is a waste of time and money. I'm now wondering if I even want to get a DP. I'm now just thinking about an intake and a tune from a local shop. My question is: Is a intake and a tune even worth it? Will I see any noticeable power gains? I own a 2010 WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomslang View Post
    So I just moved to Denver from Colorado Springs (which doesn't have emission testing) and I was planning on get a catted DP just to pass emissions. It would seem that is a waste of time and money. I'm now wondering if I even want to get a DP. I'm now just thinking about an intake and a tune from a local shop. My question is: Is a intake and a tune even worth it? Will I see any noticeable power gains? I own a 2010 WRX.
    You'll see some power, but obviously not like going to Stage 2. Stage 1 tune with the intake will increase your boost some as well as just smooth out the powerband nicely. It will improve the driveability quite a bit IMO.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomslang View Post
    most of us keep our stock downpipe just for emissions. It takes about an hour to swap it (7 bolts on the downpipe), and if you do an aftermarket heatshield, it's only 3 or 4 bolts. With a stock intercooler, it's cake to do. Do a catless downpipe. That's the biggest power adder. I'm more than willing to help you swap the downpipe out if need be, and will have the garage to do it for another month and a half. I just finished taking EFI101 from EFI University, and after I get a WBO2, I'd be willing to help you out with the tune part of things.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ok sounds good. Thanks. Quick question. I read that running a catless DP can cause issues with boost creep. Is there a fix for that?

I Support ClubWRX
    It can... But at altitude we are actually less prone to boost creep because we have a harder time hitting our boost targets.

We are around 12psi for 1 ATM (atmosphere) even though the standard is 14.7psi (at sea level at 59 degrees). Because our air is less dense by approximately 80%, that means the turbo has to work harder to compress that lower atmospheric pressure to hit the same goals.

When my car was on a vf39 I had 19psi at sea level (California), and up here I had only 17.5psi.

In Colorado I haven't heard of boost creep on a factory turbo before. It may be possible, but I haven't seen it.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Awesome thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure! Hope I helped a little
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

and theres always *****s that have to ruin a good forum..
    im jk

Quote Originally Posted by WRXMIT View Post
    under table emission test if you know places who'd do it for you. otherwise it won't pass the test.
    I got a 2009 wrx sedan and I'm getting the Invidia catted divorced wastgate DP with the Invidia Q300 catback. Do I have to tune my car with that setup?

I Support ClubWRX

WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!!

Yes
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

not sure about other states but in arizona cars 1996 and newer are not run any more they plug into the osb and test the gas cap and visual for cat if cel isnt on your good to go

catless pipe check engine

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    One thing to think about when going catless, besides the environmental impact, which is obvious, is that it is against federal EPA regulation to knowingly remove the catalytic converters from a vehicle. I believe the fine is up to $50k now for a service center that removes it and $15k for the owner of the vehicle. For me, that's enough to go catted.
    New to the forum, does going catless cause any engine codes or check engine light?

Quote Originally Posted by cqc7bw@gmail.com View Post
    New to the forum, does going catless cause any engine codes or check engine light?
    Did you get an answer on this? I have the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Krwkenny View Post
    Did you get an answer on this? I have the same question.
    There's multiple threads on this if you dig around...This thread is old
    Depends on the car. 3rd gens are prone to boost creep but if you're properly tuned for you won't have issues. If you happen to have a 3rd gen and use the accessport to tune for a catless DP you will have issues.
    Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.