WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sinister BPMs do have a cat and a resonator in the midpipe. So I believe you. As ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    BPMs do have a cat and a resonator in the midpipe. So I believe you.

As for your inspection... if you were tested at 1118, that means it was probably an idle test. So you're lucky. You don't live in a state that does advanced smog testing.
    I made sure to drive around for a while to warm it up to be safe, because on a cold morning it smells like a gas station. After it was done, I talked to the tech and asked specifically what they did out of curiosity. In CT, because it is an AWD car made after 1996 there was no dyno test - just a visual and ODBII - dont rememebr anything about a sniffer.
    New EnglandF4
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spnkdrm View Post
    I made sure to drive around for a while to warm it up to be safe, because on a cold morning it smells like a gas station. After it was done, I talked to the tech and asked specifically what they did out of curiosity. In CT, because it is an AWD car made after 1996 there was no dyno test - just a visual and ODBII - dont rememebr anything about a sniffer.
    They don't do sniffers on OBDII cars much anymore. They only check for codes and check that all monitors have tested and passed. I did wonder how a flashed ECU dealt with monitors, I guess I know now, good deal!
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677
    They don't do sniffers on OBDII cars much anymore. They only check for codes and check that all monitors have tested and passed. I did wonder how a flashed ECU dealt with monitors, I guess I know now, good deal!
    You can disable codes and force readiness with Romraider.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

if you are really that concerned perrin makes a two section down pipe with two high flow cats but if you really want power go get a catless down pipe for half the money n keep ur old down pipe the swap once a year take s a hour tops just man up n do it

Registered User Black_N_Blue2002's Avatar
    Hey guys just a heads up from my expirience with the unhappy emmissions booths in Washington is that the tests are more strict based on regional population. So say in Seattle the test is very strict and in Po-Dunk eastern washington emmissions aren't required. I don't know if that applies country wide, but it is something to keep in mind for you area when getting ready for your car's next prostate exam.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's true here in colorado too.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

if it is really strict there i always a shop that will pass u for a few more bucks

I Support ClubWRX
    our state doesn't have shops do it. There are state ran testing stations.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    ^^ Not necessarily... Any turbo subaru has high EGTs... but NA blocks do not. For some reason the 2006/07 2.5 Imprezas do have high NOx... but only in cold weather. There was something up at the testing station regarding the 2.5 Impreza from 06/07
    What does the a/f and timing mapping look like? cold air and not enough low temp fuel compensation+some advance on the timing and nox output will climb pretty fast.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

my car came catless, but i figured why pollute the environment for a 1% gain? and the smell was bad, and iit was too loud for my tastes.

so i added a vibrant racing cat and i like it alot better.

its a win-win! 99% of the performance of catless, with a 90+% reduction in emissions.
    --- 1999 Impreza WRX STI JDM Version 5 Sedan ----

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Threw my stock dp on today for my emissions test, and passed!
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

so easy to do as well

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I disagree that it would be more stress on the grid, most people would charge their cars during off peak times, when the plants are producing much more power than is demanded and therefore using power that is otherwise discharged by the power company. The electricity is being generated off-peak whether we are using it or not and that is one of the largest inefficiencies of the power grid so we would actually be creating a more efficient infrastructure by using this power.
    qfp..........
    --- 1999 Impreza WRX STI JDM Version 5 Sedan ----

this thread is amusing. back in the hey day i had a 2002 wrx running a CAI, and 3" TBE.

had the uppipe factory cat, and 1 highflow cat on the downpipe. passed in cali.

now trying to determine what to do for '11 sti sedan. just started researching today
    lambosv21

Just to clarify, AWD Subarus in California do not receive a dynamometer test (all dynos are 2wd.) In which case, NOx cannot be measured. Keep in mind there is also a visual inspection for your catalytic converters and any replacement has to be CARB certified to pass!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.