WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by synolimit funny you bring that up. id bet money running say my car catless would save the ...

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    funny you bring that up. id bet money running say my car catless would save the environment MORE then buying a Prius!!!

the nickel used to make the battery in the prius is mined in Canada.
    Just for arguments sake, about 90% of the nickel used in NiMH batteries is recycled, not mined

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Whats bad that no one thinks about with that solution is that the car doesn't produce the emissions.. but the coal power plant that fires the electrical grid DOES still produce the emissions.

So effectively.. buying a electric car doesn't help the environment any at all..it just shifts the carbon footprint off to somewhere else.
    The volumetric efficiency of a gasoline motor is far less than that of a modern power plant. That is, a power plant will produce fewer harmful byproducts per kW of generated power vs. the summation of all the gasoline counterparts. Though, then you have to factor in electrical delivery and loss... it's a gamble, but not as linear as you have suggested.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The volumetric efficiency of a gasoline motor is far less than that of a modern power plant. That is, a power plant will produce fewer harmful byproducts per kW of generated power vs. the summation of all the gasoline counterparts. Though, then you have to factor in electrical delivery and loss... it's a gamble, but not as linear as you have suggested.
    I'm not a scientist or engineer.. just a common sense using fella that see's a problem with fully electric cars. The grid and our national infrastructure is failing RIGHT NOW... stressing it like that as most people will (because the public is full of bandwagon retards that aren't smart or motivated enough to generate their own power) .. they'll just plug it in and think "I'm being greeeeen" ... Full electric locomotion is a great Idea.. but it needs to be implemented in a manor that doesn't shift environmental impact to another area.

Now the mention of developing one's own power to recharge the car is effing brilliant! One of those small cylindrical wind mill dealies or a set of solar panels or combo of the two.... yeah now thats talkin.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'm not a scientist or engineer.. just a common sense using fella that see's a problem with fully electric cars. The grid and our national infrastructure is failing RIGHT NOW... stressing it like that as most people will (because the public is full of bandwagon retards that aren't smart or motivated enough to generate their own power) .. they'll just plug it in and think "I'm being greeeeen" ... Full electric locomotion is a great Idea.. but it needs to be implemented in a manor that doesn't shift environmental impact to another area.

Now the mention of developing one's own power to recharge the car is effing brilliant! One of those small cylindrical wind mill dealies or a set of solar panels or combo of the two.... yeah now thats talkin.
    I disagree that it would be more stress on the grid, most people would charge their cars during off peak times, when the plants are producing much more power than is demanded and therefore using power that is otherwise discharged by the power company. The electricity is being generated off-peak whether we are using it or not and that is one of the largest inefficiencies of the power grid so we would actually be creating a more efficient infrastructure by using this power.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Just for arguments sake, about 90% of the nickel used in NiMH batteries is recycled, not mined
    quite possibly is but from sources at toyota they use fresh mined nickel. if im wrong america is still probably the worlds biggest user. we still need to ship millions of batteries across the world to japan. not to mention they need shipped first to a recycle center that can break them down and send it to china were they have the ability to make the powder nickel substance. and if we know anything china will have to do it because america or europe will charge japan to much money to do it.
    Last edited by synolimit; 11-16-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Banned

Top Gear talked about this. it takes 4 hours to recharge a car they were talking about using a 230 euro outlet. takes 16 hours for the same car using a standard little windmill. it just doesnt work, electric is not the way!

they ONLY way we can be 100% green (minus the process of refining) is hydrogen. most abundant element in the universe and a hydrogen motor only produces H2O out the tail pipe! the Honda FCX does this beautifully. problem is the Govt is controlled by rich oil tycoons. they will not let someone take over gas stations with hydrogen stations and whatever else it takes to do this. untill they see a profit in it and let it happen, it wont till then.

best motor i can come up with is a fusion generator. makes hydrogen by splitting the H2 out of H2O. that H2 is then sent through the motor where it then makes water again. if the technology can be done a car will run forever off its own emissions
    Last edited by synolimit; 11-16-2010 at 01:53 PM.

zax
    Will you guys rethink your stance on hybrids when Mitsubishi attempts to market their high-performance hybrid motor in the Evo XI? If not, perhaps this will:
    http://www.automobilesreview.com/aut...le-mans/22533/

I'm telling you. High performance cars are on the brink of change (equal or greater than the transition from carburetor to FI)

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    Top Gear talked about this. it takes 4 hours to recharge a car they were talking about using a 230 euro outlet. takes 16 hours for the same car using a standard little windmill. it just doesnt work, electric is not the way!

they ONLY way we can be 100% green (minus the process of refining) is hydrogen. most abundant element in the universe and a hydrogen motor only produces H2O out the tail pipe! the Honda FCX does this beautifully. problem is the Govt is controlled by rich oil tycoons. they will not let someone take over gas stations with hydrogen stations and whatever else it takes to do this. untill they see a profit in it and let it happen, it wont till then.

best motor i can come up with is a fusion generator. makes hydrogen by splitting the H2 out of H2O. that H2 is then sent through the motor where it then makes water again. if the technology can be done a car will run forever off its own emissions
    I'll let you know how my PV cells charge my electric car. That's 100% green and I'll smile everytime I pass a gas station. And I'm pretty sure China is the largest consumer of nickel, to produce steel. But that neither here nor there. The refining process of nickel to produce batteries is your arguement as to why electric won't work but the refining of Hydrogen will somehow work better? My elecric car will never in its entire existence produce a gram of pollution, how can you get more green than that?
    Last edited by jd92677; 11-16-2010 at 02:54 PM.

I disagree that it would be more stress on the grid, most people would charge their cars during off peak times, when the plants are producing much more power than is demanded and therefore using power that is otherwise discharged by the power company. The electricity is being generated off-peak whether we are using it or not and that is one of the largest inefficiencies of the power grid so we would actually be creating a more efficient infrastructure by using this power.
    This statement is incorrect. The power distribution system is a load following system. The plants only produce what is demanded. As such, power plants fall into two types:

Base Loaded: Typically running all the time, albeit usually at reduced load during off-peak hours. Coal Fired and Nuclear fall into this category.

Peak Loaded: These are generating stations that are brought online to meet demand during peak hours. Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT) are a common type that run on Natural Gas.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Nice thread, interesting points.

The seller of the last Evo I had tried to pass smog here in CA on E85 with an undisguised test pipe. It failed emissions but passed the visual (the tech must not have even looked or they didn't know where the cat was). On the Evo it's between the downpipe and mid-pipe so it's unmistakable and cake to swap out and also to visually see.

But my point is that even on E85 you need some kind of cat on there. I keep hearing people say that some cars can pass catless on E85 but I honestly don't believe it unless it's in some state where they pretty much don't even care what the output numbers are. Here in CA, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    not trying to be too picky, here, but I think the reference is "buying" a catless up-pipe, not hollowing the stocker. But I totally see what you're saying.
    On my first Evo 8 (I've had 2) I had a "rally cat" which was just a test pipe with a shell that looked like a cat. It looked legit so it wasn't an issue with the visual test.

But with the Subie downpipes containing the cats...I don't see how a smog technician would be able to visually tell if you had cat(s) or not. So the visual tests are hit-or-miss depending on where you go I think.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    But with the Subie downpipes containing the cats...I don't see how a smog technician would be able to visually tell if you had cat(s) or not. So the visual tests are hit-or-miss depending on where you go I think.
    If you're talking about a hollowed-out DP, I agree. But an aftermarket 3" downpipe is very easy to distinguish from the factory downpipe. I don't think a tech would need a second glance to realize it's not factory...

Facebook me here

Banned
    I'll let you know how my PV cells charge my electric car. That's 100% green and I'll smile everytime I pass a gas station. And I'm pretty sure China is the largest consumer of nickel, to produce steel. But that neither here nor there. The refining process of nickel to produce batteries is your arguement as to why electric won't work but the refining of Hydrogen will somehow work better? My elecric car will never in its entire existence produce a gram of pollution, how can you get more green than that?
    no im just talking about the Prius battery. as to why electric doesnt work
    1. never get the milage, ever. 3 cars on top gear pulled off a 800 mile trip on disel fuel. a 200 mile trip if your lucky on the current batteries in cars today. (under normal driving, not 25MPH everywhere and never hitting the gas. the way normal people drive) people want ease. even if somethings better, it doesnt make it better. if that makes sense.
    2. the way we do electricity now is another. it pollutes to much and takes way to long to recharge.

as for the refining of nickel vs. making hydrogen its a lang slide in hydrgens favor. the old way was using current through water called electrolysis splitting the H2 and the O. at $8 per kilogram it was to much money (always a money thing), they'll be down to $3 thanks to Noryl.

trust me, for the low low cost to make (waters free and plenty of it) hydrogen, price per CFM, distance in MPG, and zero emission hydrogen will take over everything one day. electric will die off unless the sun always shines and solar panels make more power some how and batteries last forever.
    Last edited by synolimit; 11-16-2010 at 07:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    as awesomely interesting this battery vs water vs coal vs gas debate is, it doesn't belong here in this thread.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I met some inspetor demanded the factory DP back to pass the inspection.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltonmega View Post
    I met some inspetor demanded the factory DP back to pass the inspection.
    this surprises you? replacing the factory downpipe with an aftermarket pipe breaks federal statutes (in short -- your car isn't street legal)

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.