Binjoau's 09 WRX - Hybrid EJ257 Swap Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Binjoau's 09 WRX - Hybrid EJ257 Swap Thread within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well as some of you may know my 09 WRX suffered the dreaded rod knock and bearing failure. After approaching ...

Binjoau's 09 WRX - Hybrid EJ257 Swap Thread

Well as some of you may know my 09 WRX suffered the dreaded rod knock and bearing failure. After approaching Subaru they would not provide me with warranty because they could tell the vehicle had been previously modified.

So at 60,000 kms that leaves me with new (ish) car with a screwed engine!... I thought I would start this thread as I begin to rebuild the engine and hopefully I can count on the expertise of people on this forum to answer any questions I may have along the way.

Plans for the car are as follows:...

EJ257 Shortblock
    EJ255 Heads (assuming mine are still in good condition)
    Aftermarket TMIC or FMIC
    Open source tune
    Stage 2 clutch (exedy / ACT)

Anyone see fault in my plans thus far???

I would prefer not to rebuild the full engine myself and having a prebuilt shortblock should reduce the risk of possible failures.

Many pictures to come!
    Last edited by binjoau; 10-10-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: A265 pointed out problems with my original setup plans
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll need a new turbo, 08+ turbo's won't fit with the STI manifold and TMIC.

Ahh your right, after looking at the setup of the STi turbo and intercooler it runs a different turbo setup... hmm. I guess Il be using my 09 WRX manifold and looking into an aftermarket TMIC or maybe even a FMIC instead. Although I have heard that unless running large amounts of power a FMIC can cause more lag and response is a big concern to me.

This is the car in its current condition, actually this is the last day it was running!

So as I continue to read more and more about the STI ej257, there does not seem to be a huge benefit to this engine over the ej255?! The ej257 does not have any forged components and appears to be basically the same engine just with domed pistons???

Am I better of buying a built ej255 shortblock and using my existing heads? Assuming they are not damaged?
    Last edited by binjoau; 10-10-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There's nothing hybrid about that build. The case halves for the ej257 and the ej255 have the same exact part number.

Is your block/crankshaft/rods trashed? All of those would be the same exact parts from the ej257 and would save you a ton of money if you just reused them.

Honestly, if your stuff is still in good shape, I would get it all balanced, hone the cylinders, throw in some CP pistons, and you'd have a stronger build than if you went with a whole new ej257 shortblock.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    There's nothing hybrid about that build. The case halves for the ej257 and the ej255 have the same exact part number.

Is your block/crankshaft/rods trashed? All of those would be the same exact parts from the ej257 and would save you a ton of money if you just reused them.

Honestly, if your stuff is still in good shape, I would get it all balanced, hone the cylinders, throw in some CP pistons, and you'd have a stronger build than if you went with a whole new ej257 shortblock.
    Thanks for the info, I haven't had the chance to remove the engine yet, it will be coming out next weekend and inspected for damage.

I was under the impression that the ej257 had forged internals but it apperas not.

I am tempted to get AMS tuning to take my ej255 and build it for me with this:

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/a...build-kit.html

That way it should be a quality assembly and its not too far from where I am in Canada either. Then I could bring the engine back and put it in the car here.

I Support ClubWRX
    That kit will probably get you down the road with a little more coin in your pocket and new reliability as well

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

You don't need new rods unless yours are screwed, or you're going for big power. Stock rods are usually good to around 400whp.

You will need the complete gasket kit, new oil pump, new oil cooler, probably new water pump, new bearings, and ARP headstuds aren't a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You don't need new rods unless yours are screwed, or you're going for big power. Stock rods are usually good to around 400whp.

You will need the complete gasket kit, new oil pump, new oil cooler, probably new water pump, new bearings, and ARP headstuds aren't a bad idea.
    As I am not too sure where the build will eventually go Im thinking I will invest in the better rods now and then If I look to go with a bigger turbo the bottom end can handle it.
    The AMS kit comes with all gaskets and bearings required. I am tempted by the better headstuds and I will be for sure putting a new oil cooler and a 12mm cosworth oil pump on. Will I need a new water pump though???

Anyone know how much it costs approx to have a company like AMS build a shortblock and attach my oem ej257 heads? They will obvioulsy need to hone my existing cylinders and probably re-balance the crank as well. Im just trying to price out the build and Im up to about 4k right now with me removing and installing the engine myself.

Thanks for the input!

I hope it works out. Sucks about your misfortune tho.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    I hope it works out. Sucks about your misfortune tho.
    Thanks,

got off the phone with AMS Performance, looks like to have my block honed and rebuilt, assuming that my crank is still in good condition will cost $2600, that includes:

•JE Pistons + Upgraded JE Wrist Pins
    •Clevite Main and Rod Bearings
    •OEM Subaru Engine Gasket Kit
    •Manley H-Beam Rods
    •ARP 11mm EJ Head Studs

So not too bad, although if my crank is screwed then its another $400 for a new one.

So I figure the cost of the build goes like this:

Block rebuilt with AMS EJ25 kit $2600
    Cosworth oil pump $400
    OIl cooler and water pump$ 400
    Exedy Stage 2 clutch $600
    New gaskets, oil, coolant etc $250

So thats a total of $4250 plus shipping etc and no doubt il need tuning on top of this!

It adds up quickly!

Go ahead and get your crank balanced, if not your whole rotating assembly. I just got all of mine done for about $250 and it's a good thing because my crank was way off.

Well the engine is removed and broken down... the culprit was a bad bottom end bearing on number 4 piston. Not that I was that surprised to be honest, it is the same thing happening to lots of 09 WRXs!

So lots of pics of the removal:

Now I am thinking as the bottom end will be so built il be upgrading to a DOM3 turbo and bigger injectors. As the turbo runs a factory location. What else will I need? A larger intake? ****** intercooler? Fuel pump and 750cc injectors?

Anything I am missing?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau
    Now I am thinking as the bottom end will be so built il be upgrading to a DOM3 turbo and bigger injectors. As the turbo runs a factory location. What else will I need? A larger intake? ****** intercooler? Fuel pump and 750cc injectors?
    Minimum:
    850cc+ injectors
    Fuel Pump
    I/C upgrade
    3" turbo inlet
    Big-MAF style intake
    Custom tune

Other goodies to do "while you're there":
    Headers
    EWG
    TGV-deletes
    Meth