Binjoau's 09 WRX - Hybrid EJ257 Swap Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Binjoau's 09 WRX - Hybrid EJ257 Swap Thread within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If you can, get some pics of the actual failed components. I'm curious to have a look....

If you can, get some pics of the actual failed components. I'm curious to have a look.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    If you can, get some pics of the actual failed components. I'm curious to have a look.
    Ask and you shall recieve lol.....

This is part of the failed bearing next to a normal one, you can see how thin it had worn.

09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

That's nasty.

Glad to see things moving a long tho. Good luck with the build, and keep the updates/pics coming.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    That's nasty.

Glad to see things moving a long tho. Good luck with the build, and keep the updates/pics coming.
    Thanks, things will come along slowly but surely.

Some sad news but after closer inspection of my crank the oil trough or journal that feeds the bearing has been completely worn away. So that adds another $400 to the build for sure.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

fkn ell man.. damn that's nasty. I've seen bearing failure before but thats pretty bad. Atleast it didn't spin the bearing and jack up the block.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

So I was cleaning out the oil sump and found the rest of the bearings!!! It was a thick sludge full of mettalick debris and was very hard to clean out!!!

So after reviewing my options and the cost of labour and shipping to AMS in Chicago I have come to the conclusion to have a shop in Calgary with a good reputation do the honing / block work and rebuild it myself with the same AMS rebuild kit.

As far as I can tell as long as I am very anal and follow the service manual to the letter I should be fine.

If anyone has any pointers or things to consider please let me know!!

On the advice of EJ257 I will be completing the TGV deletes tomorrow. I will be doing them myself and I will be removing the flaps and inner lip. I am a little concerned with the CEL so I may actually put the rods back in to fix it!

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think u need the rods, just the motors, although I could be wrong. I tuned with raider, so I just deselected the trigger for their CEL trips.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau
    I am a little concerned with the CEL so I may actually put the rods back in to fix it!
    What's to be concerned with? Just disable them and be done with it; you have the AP, so download ATR and deselect them. If you can't open the map you're running, contact Perrin and ask them to do it for you.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-25-2010 at 05:08 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What's to be concerned with? Just disable them and be done with it; you have the AP, so download ATR and deselect them. If you can't open the map you're running, contact Perrin and ask them to do it for you.
    I contacted the tuning garage I'm going to and they said it can easily be disabled when I get tuned.

I also went and bought a sandblaster for cleaning the bodies and gasket mating surfaces. I intend to paint them a flat red as the theme for my car is black and red. Yes I will be using thermal dispersion paint

Hey binj, I know its a little late now, but what did the dealer see to void your warranty? was it downpipe? this dreaded 09 bearing failure for wrx's is a known thing that are crap and stock cars have suffered from it too. Did you just find this out or not? Some people have got warranty out of them but again too late now. I'm just curious and have'nt been on the site for a bit. Best of luck with the build and for sure you'll be coming back bigger and stronger and with way more power. Keep posting updates and pics lovin what you got done already.

Quote Originally Posted by turbospeed View Post
    Hey binj, I know its a little late now, but what did the dealer see to void your warranty? was it downpipe? this dreaded 09 bearing failure for wrx's is a known thing that are crap and stock cars have suffered from it too. Did you just find this out or not? Some people have got warranty out of them but again too late now. I'm just curious and have'nt been on the site for a bit. Best of luck with the build and for sure you'll be coming back bigger and stronger and with way more power. Keep posting updates and pics lovin what you got done already.
    The dealership knew but it was mainly due to the fact I had missed a service. Not an oil change but the 48k service as its $700 and I was waiting for bonus money to pay for it. The car failed the week before.

Thanks for the encouraging words, sold my VF52 today so the Dom3 will be on its way to me along with APS 70mm inlet and intake and Dworks 850cc top feed injectors. I am finishing my tgv deletes tonight then in 2 weeks il be ordering my pistons and rods etc, so the block can be honed.

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    The dealership knew but it was mainly due to the fact I had missed a service. Not an oil change but the 48k service as its $700 and I was waiting for bonus money to pay for it. The car failed the week before.
    Wow. It sounds like they made up any excuse they could. If it wouldn't have been the missed service, then they probably would have defaulted to the down pipe being the cause. But very cool about the new build. Should be fun.

Wow that is pretty crappy that they denied you warranty. Such bs you have warranty and you have make another car payment essentially to keep it to get screwed over. Was that in saskatchewan?

Binj - I'm assuming you were running one of Perrin's AP maps? Do you think that may have something to do with it? They're making more power than the Cobb maps but I wonder if it comes at the cost of reliability.

And do you think the intake had anything to do with it?
    2010 WRX (SWP)
    Cobb Stage 1 - Perrin SS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast