New owner..but have car problems..please help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New owner..but have car problems..please help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I just recently picked up an 02 blue wrx about a week ago. I love the car up ...

New owner..but have car problems..please help

Hey all,

I just recently picked up an 02 blue wrx about a week ago. I love the car up until it started having problems. Just recently it started dying out on me but I was able to start it back up right away. Now it won’t start at all.

What I noticed?

It has power but it won’t want to crank over like it doesn’t have any spark. The radio works but the weird thing is that the headlights, tail lights, and the instrument panel indicators aren’t on.

I checked all fuses and ground wires and they seem to be fine. I would appreciate it if you guys can help me out. This is my only car and I would like to continue to enjoy it again.

-Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a fuse, battery cable, or battery I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I checked battery and all fuses and it's good. The headlight are not dimmed they just aren't on. The radio and all other electrical parts worked except for tail lights, headlights, and dash indicators. I feel so bummed out..any other ideas?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure you checked the fuse for the ignition system?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I can double check again. Is this fuse under the hood or underneath the steering column. Is there anything else I can check?

If it cranks but won't start, it is missing spark, fuel, compression, or timing is off. You need to start to narrow your search. Checking fuel and spark is relatively easy, so I would start there. Lets see what we come up with there and we'll continue. Let me know what your findings are.

is the stero stock or aftermarket, is it installed using a CAP?, this could be the reason stero will turn on but nothing else, def. check all fuses there are some in engine bay on driverside and also right above hood latch , also make sure all battery connections are clean and no corosion, contact is a big key, does the car turn over, make clicking sounds , how is it reacting to ignition??

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    If it cranks but won't start, it is missing spark, fuel, compression, or timing is off. You need to start to narrow your search. Checking fuel and spark is relatively easy, so I would start there. Lets see what we come up with there and we'll continue. Let me know what your findings are.
    Sorry but I'm not as mechanically inclined but how would go about checking for fuel and spark. Can you tell me specifically, I appreciate all the replies. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tito1985 View Post
    Sorry but I'm not as mechanically inclined but how would go about checking for fuel and spark. Can you tell me specifically, I appreciate all the replies. Thanks again.
    Sorry I re-read your original post and my have mis-interpreted it, you said it doesn't crank? Or it cranks but won't start?

it'll crank over but it seems like it won't fire. It's sounds like it's "bubbling" or like when you start the car w/o an intake when I turn it over. I don't understand why my headlights, tail lights, and dash indicators aren't working as a result. I can't think of how it's related.

Quote Originally Posted by tito1985 View Post
    it'll crank over but it seems like it won't fire. It's sounds like it's "bubbling" or like when you start the car w/o an intake when I turn it over. I don't understand why my headlights, tail lights, and dash indicators aren't working as a result. I can't think of how it's related.
    Sorry for the delayed response, but OK if it cranks, we need to check what we were talking about before. The easiest way to check fuel is to remove one of the fuel lines from the filter because I don't think your car has a pressure test port. Remove one of the hoses and turn the key to the "on" position. You may want someone else there to watch for fuel coming out ot the hose. If we have fuel we have to check for spark. You may need to buy a spark checker (I've been zapped a few times and it's not fun). If you've never done this before you may want someone with a little experience to help out. I don't think the starting and lighting issues are related but I could be wrong. Lets see where we have from here.

Yes there should be a purge hole on the rail if im not mistaken, i have a late year 03 sedan and there is a lil bolt , do not fully unthread just enough till ya see the fuel pour out or a hole, also if ya said earlier that it would intermidiatly simply turn off while driving but start back up, i had a nissian w/ that issue, turned out to be Mass Air Flow Sensor, on your vehicle it will be easy to spot, right on the intake that leads to turbo inlet, 2 screws and make sure it is "gunk free" cleaner is cheap and easy to come by, may be an altering issue but prob not main issue if you arent firing, JD has the steps right fuel spark and compression, if ya not too mechanicly inclined compression test would be a bit difficult for ya, narrowing down the spark and fuel will point ya in right direction.. Shocking expierience yes lol make sure ya got a good ground lol and good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.