Exhaust help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Exhaust help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i found the exhaust that i want, and clear on most things i found in threads. something im not ...

Exhaust help

so i found the exhaust that i want, and clear on most things i found in threads. something im not sure of. where can i find out if i can change my cat to i high flow one, 2 if i do turbo back what are ppl meaning by need tuning. just get something like a cobb turner right? and 3 =rd i have a 04 wrx and im reading that i also need to change my up pipe. i guess im asking if i do a full exhaust what do i need? i thought the exhaust came with cats in the pipe please help. sorry for anyoe whos going to get mad and tell me to search also and for the rookie questions

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

by tuning u need some sort of engine management so your car runs properly and safely with the turboback. yes a cobb accesssport could go with that set up. it's a more convenient way to tune your car but a little pricey. with highflow cats u have a greater chance of passing inspection depending where u live. (still need a tune) without cats u gain slightly more power and will never pass inspection unless u know someone who can look the other way. turbo back systems with cats will also be pricier. when installing a turbo back it is a good idea to install an uppipe at the same time. a turbo back consists of a downpipe and a catback the uppipe is not considered part of it.

Ok. thanks for the help. is there anything you recommend for a high flow cat?

i honestly couldn't tell which high flow cats are out there i'm completely catless myself.if u buy a downpipe u can choose a catted one which means there is already a high flow cat in it. i would go catless at least for the uppipe though. pieces of the cat in there can (not saying they will) eventually break off and be sucked right into the turbo. to get an idea of what's out there try hopupracing.com they carry a wide variety of exhaust components. i wouldn't buy from them they are a little overpriced unless u could get a good deal on something.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterenergy View Post
    Ok. thanks for the help. is there anything you recommend for a high flow cat?

What do you mean recommend for a high flow cat? Most aftermarket exhausts come in two versions, catless, and with high flow cat. A catalytic converter is not something you will usually purchase by itself.

It would help if you told us what exhaust you are wanting to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by silverautorex
    without cats u gain slightly more power and will never pass inspection unless u know someone who can look the other way

I would have to disagree with this statement. I am catless and have had no problem passing inspection at several different places over the last five years. Where my car is registered the only inspection of the exhaust they perform is to check for leaks. It's not a matter of them looking the other way. My exhaust has no leaks, therefore it passes inspection.

that's why i said depending on where u live. here in ny they perform a visual so if u don't have cats u don't pass. every state is different

Ahh, I missed that part. It really goes county by county. They do a visual inspection here, but it's just to check for leaks.

invidia n1 racing exhaust i like its tone, and because it load. im still open or other one still. just havent found anything else i like.

if your looking for loud the rsr exmag gt2 is excellent

Looks like it comes with a catalytic converter to me..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame

Looks like it comes with a catalytic converter to me..
    That's a resonator
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That's a resonator

Ahh.. so does Invidia not make a catted version of this exhaust? That's the only one I found on their site.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Ahh.. so does Invidia not make a catted version of this exhaust? That's the only one I found on their site.
    There are no catback exhausts with a catalytic converter (hence the name, they are exhausts that replace the OEM exhaust post-cat). Catalytic converters would be located in the downpipe.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There are no catback exhausts with a catalytic converter. Catalytic converters would be located in the downpipe.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.. but that looks like a catback and a mid pipe to me.. like down pipe back. I know my stock exhaust had a catalytic converter in the midpipe, my TurboXS stealthback had a catalytic converter in the mid pipe.. and the custom cheapo exhaust that came on my current car had a catalytic converter in the midpipe.

Like this, the catalytic converter is not in the downpipe, it is in the midpipe..

I know what it is.. I bet Invidia has the long style downpipe, correct? I'm used to always dealing with shorty's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.