Whats the difference between an WRX and the STI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whats the difference between an WRX and the STI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just purchased a 2010 WRX and decided not to get the 2011 Sedan STI version. I know that ...

Whats the difference between an WRX and the STI

So I just purchased a 2010 WRX and decided not to get the 2011 Sedan STI version.

I know that the WRX has a 5-speed compared to a six however I cant stand the blue interior of the STI...drives me up a wall.

I like how stylish yet racy the WRX looks and its kinda a sleeper.

This is my daily driver and I was wondering whats the difference between the 2 cars since its the same engine.

lastly how would I get some more MPG out of it and maybe a little more performance without voiding warranty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As far as differences; the quad exhaust setup you can only get on the STI hatch, different stitched seats, 6 speed gear box, much bigger TMIC(top mount intercooler) and manifold, OEM headlight HIDs/projectors, upgraded brakes(Brembo) and wheel/tire package from factory, a few STI badges inside the interior/driver seat and getting to say you own an "STI."

Probably more but very minor things.

To get better mileage, perhaps a drop K&N filter. Anything by SPT(Subaru Performance Techniques), Cobb or Perrin should go well with your Subaru without harming the warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
    To get better mileage, perhaps a drop K&N filter.
    Why? Is there any evidence of this?

EDIT: Been thinking. The filter itself will probably increase the amount of dirt that gets into the motor but it won't be able to lean the mixture. A poorly chosen intake would lean the mixture, maybe enough to decrease fuel use or add some output -- but not the way to go of course.

Driving habits would probably have the most effect on fuel economy.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-16-2010 at 09:16 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So STI is to suburu Impreza as Xtreme is to Chevy S10...Little differences but nothing to spend an extra 7k over that you cant achieve yourself with the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXXXAction View Post
    So STI is to suburu Impreza as Xtreme is to Chevy S10...Little differences but nothing to spend an extra 7k over that you cant achieve yourself with the WRX
    No. You are unlikely to DIY an STi within any sort of reasonable frame of expense or time. Subaru are not only better at building Subarus, they also make more of them so the economics of scale apply.

If you want an STi your best bet is getting one from Subaru.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Nah I dont as I said I couldnt stand the non-luxury of it.

I wanted something luxury and sporty. this is that.

I've got the 2010 sedan just like the OP and I dropped in a K&N filter about two weeks after I got it. The mileage went up a little bit on the "average" mpg reading by the clock. My driving habits haven't changed as I'm still breaking her in. I'm at 900 miles. As soon as I installed it, the car was wayyyy more throatier. Butt dyno increased by a hair, usually at top end by the power band.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    This question / issue has been asked and debated eleventy billion times already.

I disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
    As far as differences; the quad exhaust setup you can only get on the STI hatch, different stitched seats, 6 speed gear box, much bigger TMIC(top mount intercooler) and manifold, OEM headlight HIDs/projectors, upgraded brakes(Brembo) and wheel/tire package from factory, a few STI badges inside the interior/driver seat and getting to say you own an "STI."

Probably more but very minor things.
    Lets not forget the latest years of STI also have these NON-minor things which WRX does not:
    Front and rear limited slip
    Superior suspension.
    DCCD
    SI drive
    DUAL AVCS
    3 modes of VDC
    More I'm sure I'm not thinking of...
    When you add all this stuff to the stuff already listed, like the FAR SUPERIOR brakes, way stronger 6 speed transmission, etc. then it is VERY much worth an extra 7k! THEN you add the fact that you get tall this performance 'out of the box' with out harming your warranty and/or resale value (which would be destroyed trying to make a WRX into an STi)...
    Then you realize that what SD_GR has said is the truth..

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No. You are unlikely to DIY an STi within any sort of reasonable frame of expense or time. Subaru are not only better at building Subarus, they also make more of them so the economics of scale apply.

If you want an STi your best bet is getting one from Subaru.
    +1
    Last edited by TheJ; 06-16-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Sounds like the same dilemma I had in 2005. I ended up choosing the WRX because of the sunroof, heated seats. I wish leather had been an option, I would have gotten that too.

My opinion, if you're not sold on the STI, don't buy it. The WRX is quite capable right out of the box. However, Subaru does know a thing or two, if you want performance, you have your answer too.

Personally, I went 2010 WRX over STi based on two things.

1) All the upgrades on the STI didn't matter much at the time based on the price, I figured if I wanted better brakes I would put them on.... I NOW think the STI would have been a better starting platform for me and wish I had got one. So it goes.

2) the asshat salesman at Mike Shaw I called about the one they had never called me back on a price ...... I guess he was too busy... When I stopped in there, it was like pulling teeth to get someone to help me and I was already ticked off at that point. So I only looked at the WRX in the showroom and went to the springs to get mine.

I think it boils down to just how much racing you want to do and if you want to Rally race or drag race.
    Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to try it.
    Swamp Monster Rally Racing- 91 Impreza - Phase II 2.5 w/ DOHC, RS25 trans/diff, header, 2.25" catted exh, WRX springs, AGX struts, L&M steering, RS power-slot brakes = stage rally build in progress...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    So I just purchased a 2010 WRX and decided not to get the 2011 Sedan STI version.

however I cant stand the blue interior of the STI...drives me up a wall.

your 2nd statement is irrelevant considering 08+ sti's didnt come with blue interior :]

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    All a WRX needs is a few hp and it becomes an STI. Everyone knows this.

[snicker snicker]
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    All a WRX needs is a few hp and it becomes an STI. Everyone knows this.

[snicker snicker]
    Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to try it.
    Swamp Monster Rally Racing- 91 Impreza - Phase II 2.5 w/ DOHC, RS25 trans/diff, header, 2.25" catted exh, WRX springs, AGX struts, L&M steering, RS power-slot brakes = stage rally build in progress...

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    To me, the tranny and brakes are the only "significant" upgrades of the STI over the wrx. There are certainly more, but those are the BIG ones.

For a spirited daily driver..... no, I don't think the STI is worth the extra $$$.

...... For those that:

1) Drive like an asshat
    or
    2) Track the car regularly

The stronger, more capable 6-speed STI transmission is worth it's weight in gold.

I'm also one of the many that have boiled the tiny WRX brakes on the track..... it sucks..... and Big brakes are NOT cheap.

I couldn't afford an STI when I bought my WRX.... so it wouldn't matter to me anyway. But, I have spent the better part of 4+ years improving all aspects of performance of my car to far exceed that of a stock STI.

...... and I eat many STIs on the track.... even modified ones.

...... But..... I still have a 5 speed tranny..... even driven carefully (like I do), I know eventually, I'm probably going to break it.

Long story short.... if you can afford it... get the STI.

If not..... you just have a bit more work to do
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast