2008 WRX - how much power can it handle/produce?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX - how much power can it handle/produce? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys im new to modding. im just wondering if it would be possible to get my car to around ...

2008 WRX - how much power can it handle/produce?

Hi guys im new to modding. im just wondering if it would be possible to get my car to around 300HP? if so, what parts that are remotely cheap would i need?

so far my plan is:
    1. Intake (done)
    2. Cobb/Perrin Accessport
    3. Turboback exhaust
    4. ???

need advice.....i apologize in advance if this has been asked before but i tried searching. Please let me know! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll be fine with what you have. Use the managment before adding any parts though, so start with no. 2.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremez2k View Post
    Hi guys im new to modding. im just wondering if it would be possible to get my car to around 300HP? if so, what parts that are remotely cheap would i need?

so far my plan is:
    1. Intake (done)
    2. Cobb/Perrin Accessport
    3. Turboback exhaust
    4. ???

need advice.....i apologize in advance if this has been asked before but i tried searching. Please let me know! Thanks!
    your not going to get 300 whp with those mods with the stock 08 turbo. Its just to small. I suggest upgrading to the 09 VF52 turbo with turbo back, larger TMIC (process west), maybe fuel pump and injectors. Although there have been a few people to break into 300 whp on the stock pump and injectors.

Im at 290 whp on my 09 still running the stock top mount so....
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

faster than STI

what is the max i can push out with a bunch of mods in terms of horsepower and torque with the stock turbo? i want my car to be as fast as an STI or even a little faster.....would it be possible? thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    what is the max i can push out with a bunch of mods in terms of horsepower and torque with the stock turbo? i want my car to be as fast as an STI or even a little faster.....would it be possible? thanks!
    You can make just as much power but you cannot make it just as fast -- not with changes in the motor at least. With regular fuel and a stock turbo my belief is that you are approaching a reasonable limit with your stated goal -- a goal that is of course arbitrary.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

New Turbo?

so i would need to get a new turbo im guessing? cuz i do know that the wrx265 is actually a fraction faster than the STI with certain distances, sooo i guess i'd want mine to be as fast as a wrx265. so the parts im installing : intake, Accessport, Turboback exhaust would allow me to reach a WRX265? thanks!

also, would it be possible to get an Cobb AP for 2008 wrx MAP and then if i decide to get a new turbo, use the SAME AP with a 2009 flash? THANKS SO MUCH GUYS YALL ARE THE BEST!

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2135638-post2.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

...Do some reading. It'll help. Spending non researched money on these cars is like pissing into the wind... Only it's really expensive and you don't get quite as wet hopefully.

I'm sure after you read around a bit you'll come up with some answers. Might want to go turbo back exhaust and a good tune to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

You do not want to push the stock turbo to it's absolute max because it's very inefficient at it's max flow rating and intake temperatures get very high. The stock turbo itself can do over 20psi in the midrange for a pretty good torque peak, but the stock intercooler comes apart at 18psi... 18psi in and of itself will get you somewhere around 270hp at the crank, which is a bit short of your goal. Attempting to get more than that will entail pushing the turbo well beyond it's efficiency range which means you risk detonation and damage. You will always be one tank of bad gas or an extra cold morning away from blown ringlands.

Some would consider it somewhat heroic to melt a stock piston while pushing for 450hp on a 20g. It's just plain dumb to do that while attempting to get 280hp on the TD04, and it has been since about 2003.

You need more turbo to get to 300whp. There are a bunch of turbos that fit the bill if you go FMI, less if you want to stick with a factory style top mount. If you go bigger, you should replace the stock intercooler as it will become a limiting factor, both in terms of flow and cooling capacity, and as mentioned above, the fact that it comes apart at the kind of boost pressures these upgrade turbos are most efficient at.

My advice would be a stage 1 open source tune for now. It's almost as much as work to swap a downpipe as it is to swap a turbo so avoid stage 2 for now. It's a very small difference between stg 1 and 2 on the stock turbo. Then do some handling / brake upgrades if you haven't already done so. Next, plan a good turbo upgrade when you really know what your power goal is. Driving a few modded cars really helps to figure that out.

Hope this helps.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

thank you

thanks so much for ur explanation fahr_side! i guess what i'll do now is the intake, AP, turboback, and then afterwards maybe get the VF52 turbo and a new intercooler. I hope this sounds right lol, excuse my lack of knowledge im just trying to learn n you definately helped me tons. thank you!

I Support ClubWRX
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477393

...Probably not the best upgrade. I'd say do some reading.

I've never heard anybody say it's a small difference between stage 1 and 2 on the stock turbo. No first hand experience, but after reading around for a while, everybody says stage 2 is a huge increase in power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477393

...Probably not the best upgrade. I'd say do some reading.

I've never heard anybody say it's a small difference between stage 1 and 2 on the stock turbo. No first hand experience, but after reading around for a while, everybody says stage 2 is a huge increase in power.
    Mmm, not really. Stock '08 put out 230hp, stage 1 is about 265 and stage 2 is about 270 or 275 tops. I think stock to stage 1 is much more noticeable than stage 1 to 2 in terms of both torque and power. The downpipe really helps with spool, peak torque and helps hold the torque a bit higher which translates into a little more power up top, but the choke point at higher rpm is not the exhaust flow or even the compressor, it's the amount of gas that can flow through the puny little turbine.

Before spending money on an accessport and getting locked into Cobb's path, look at the opensource solution of Tactrix cable, Ecuflash and Romraider. You can buy the adapter/cable for far less $ than the accessport, the software is opensource and free of charge. You can buy a proven off-the-shelf staged map for a bit over $50, learn to tune yourself or use maps others have created and passed around and who knows what in the future. Lots of tuners are using opensource these days too, so you can always go get a pro tune without your ECU being locked or having to buy a license, or worrying about marrying or unmarrying any hardware. For sure it's a steeper learning curve to get started but if you have an ounce of tinkerer in you you'll manage and there are the forums to help you. If you're not into playing around then go with the accessport and be happy. It's a well-sorted solution and both Cobb and the tuner shops support it well.

A VF-52 is probably the most foolproof solution to the pain of owning an '08. You can get an OTS map for a VF-52 on an '08 which will make roughly the 300hp you were looking for. Trouble is, IHI turbos are not exactly the toughest or most reliable turbos out there, especially when you start pushing them a bit hard, and they can't be overhauled.

What you have to ask yourself is how far do you want to go with this car. If you are happy to keep up with stock '09s or even stage 2s then consider the VF-52. If you want to go further you have to start thinking very hard about budget and how much wrenching / tweaking / heartbreak you want to deal with because it's a very steep curve from here on in.

If you want to stay with the stock fuel system, a top-mount intercooler and a daily-driver-friendly spool then either the VF-52 or a hybrid like the BNR TD05H-E316g are probably your only realistic choices. The VF-52 has the advantages of having an available OTS tune ready to go. If you want a bit more top-end power and similar spool, while staying with a stock fuel system, plus better reliability then the BNR is probably the better choice. Downside is that as we stand today you will need a custom tune to make that work, and it would be a shame to hold it back to 18psi because of the flimsy stock intercooler. OTOH, the BNR is a few hundred $ cheaper than a new VF-52 so there is some money toward your Perrin or AVO top-mount...

Sorry about the novels...

whats all this nonsense about the stock intercooler blowing apart.

Ive been running my stock 09s intercooler at 20 psi for 2 months now. No such thing has occured. Stock BPV too.

Is there a difference between the construction of the 08 IC vs the 09 IC. I figure if mine was going to blow apart at 20 psi it would have already done so. Perhaps the 09 was made stronger.

But anyway, if your going to go VF52 at least get the perrin tmic. But its $800. You can get the Process West TMIC for that price and its much better.
    Last edited by Liquidr1; 06-07-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    SPT boost guage.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    whats all this nonsense about the stock intercooler blowing apart.
    Nonsense eh? Well friend, we are lucky in that the Legacy GT has been out there with our plastic manifold and intercooler since '05, and more than a few have been modified...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ercooler+burst

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...tercooler+tabs

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...oler+seperated

You can try gluing your endtanks on with epoxy before they blow off and you'll probably be okay, but once the tabs stretch out it usually can't be fixed. You might still be in time to save yours.

thanks!

thanks so much fahr_side for your awesome explanation. you were saying how if i reached stage 2 on my 08 i can have around 275hp tops? as far as i know.....the 09 wrx is 265HP and almost the same when it comes to torque(i think).....so shouldnt they be around the same speed? please let me know. thanks so much u are awesome bro!

thanks so much fahr_side for your awesome explanation. you were saying how if i reached stage 2 on my 08 i can have around 275hp tops? as far as i know.....the 09 wrx is 265HP and almost the same when it comes to torque(i think).....so shouldnt they be around the same speed? please let me know. thanks so much u are awesome bro!
    265 is at the crank. not the wheels. Once you go turbo back and custom tune on the 09 its making 290+ at the wheels. Thats going to be much faster than 275 at the wheels on the stock 08 WRX turbo.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    SPT boost guage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast