Legality of Cat Back Exhausts - NY
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Legality of Cat Back Exhausts - NY within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Was on some other forums, as I am looking for a CBE for my 09 WRX. A couple of people ...

Legality of Cat Back Exhausts - NY

Was on some other forums, as I am looking for a CBE for my 09 WRX. A couple of people talking getting tickets for aftermarket exhausts including the SPT. Also more than one claim of SPT exhausts leading to problems at dealerships (saying you have a modded car), even though the person says they bought it installed on the car from the dealer - will try to find the post. I live in NY where the cops are fairly strict, can someone give me the complete truth on whats "legal" and whats a gray area? Is the SPT exhaust "off road use only"?

Also listening to clips online is hit or miss - I watch the same exhausts, different videos and they sound different, especially how loud. Any suggestions for exhausts with more growl or rumble, but not much louder that stock. I was coming from a 350Z, and C5 Vette (which had the best sound), but thats what I want a deeper tone. Also anyone in NYC, or upstate, Middletown area that has an aftermarket exhaust - nothing like hearing in person?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Generally this stuff is regualted by your state first and then by your county/township/city. So look up your state/county/township/city laws.......
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    ANY modification to the cars factory installed emissions systems(including exhaust) is illegal.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can get an inadequate exhaust ticket in NY for having an aftermarket catback. Since SPT is a factory part, that's fair game.

YRMV

Go through the VTL a little bit - I believe you are looking for Part 375
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

You can get an inadequate exhaust ticket in NY for having an aftermarket catback. - What constitutes an inadequate exhaust, noise levels, emissions? I mean can't get pulled over for emissions.

Since SPT is a factory part, that's fair game. - Not sure what you mean by fair game, as in I shouldn't have a problem? That what I thought but on some other forums (NASIOC and another) individuals mentioned getting tickets with the SPT, and also having issues with the dealer saying the car was modded.
    I mean the SPT isn't all that loud, and well unless your a car guy, the exhaust on my stock WRX five door looks aftermarket/large....

So the SPT shouldn't have any problem passing a NY emissions test correct?

I live in NYC. My SPT exhaust was purchased and installed @ Star Subaru. I passed inspection 2 times since having the exhaust put on 4/2009. I know the head mechanic @ Star Subaru and he says Subaru can't deny me anything once a part is purchased and installed from Subaru

As for my exhaust being to loud on NYC roads - cops have pulled me over for many things, happy to report not once was it for my exhaust. Queens here.
    I <3 SASHA.M

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox00
    What constitutes an inadequate exhaust, noise levels, emissions? I mean can't get pulled over for emissions.
    Did you read the VTL part I mentioned? The language is vague, which makes it a subjective law.

You can be pulled over for emissions. Environmental Conservation Officers have the same authority as a Trooper, plus the ability to cite environmental infractions. They can pull you over and write you up for an emissions violation if one exists.

Not sure what you mean by fair game, as in I shouldn't have a problem? That what I thought but on some other forums (NASIOC and another) individuals mentioned getting tickets with the SPT, and also having issues with the dealer saying the car was modded.
    I mean the SPT isn't all that loud, and well unless your a car guy, the exhaust on my stock WRX five door looks aftermarket/large....
    It's a factory option, which means it's an OEM part.

If you're issued a citation for exhaust because of the catback, you can argue your case in court that it was a factory part, and therefore, isn't illegal. The citation will be dropped.

So the SPT shouldn't have any problem passing a NY emissions test correct?
    Catback doesn't affect emissions - the emission control devices are still intact and unaffected by a catback.

UNYSOC

Thanks for all the help guys. Just FYI they don't do emissions tests for the first two years of a brand new car in NY, so you haven't had an emissions test I believe? - but I don't see it being a problem.

spt wrx 2k8 - would love to hear the exhaust, maybe on one of my Long Island trips, I live in Manhattan.

But even here posts of people getting pulled over with the SPT exhaust. Yes winning in court but I don't want the hassle, uhmmmm. A lot of conflicting info, is this exhaust indeed marketed as off road use only? As I have seen in numerous posts, or 50 state CARB legal (and if so can someone point to where it says that)?
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1663456

Lastly where is the best deal on the SPT CBE?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's ridiculous.. I've never been pulled over for exhaust even though I'm catless. And not even when I've been driving around with the cutout open, which is as loud as it gets since it dumps directly underneath the passenger side floorboard. Not to mention I shoot flames every once in a while because my base tune is too rich.

I wish they made a SPT muffler only. I like the sound, and the way it looks, but why pay $700-$800 for sound? There is no improvement in performance for 09 and later cars, and what 5-10 HP in 08s, it really is just is the sound - bet they would make money.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pay to play ...

Keep the car stock and have virtually zero hassle about modified exhausts (I was pulled over for my exhaust when the car was 100% stock).

Go with the SPT. Get better sound, better look, potentially (nothing that can really be measured) gain something from it and potentially get tickets for loud exhaust that get dismissed every time.

Go with aftermarket. If you're going to be harassed, may as well deserve it, right? I haven't had any BS pullovers since I put my Borla exhaust on over a year ago.

Choice is yours. Honestly, if you're that worried about tickets, you should leave the car 100% stock power-wise. The SPT won't draw enough attention to discredit that option either, but don't fret on getting tickets with this exhaust. The number of people who have cited for this exhaust pale in comparison to other aftermarket exhausts on the market. Usually, if the exhaust is even mentioned, it's additional to the true reason for the traffic stop (e.g., speed, aggressive driving, etc.).

UNYSOC

PM me anytime, I dont mind Manhattan or LI.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox00 View Post
    spt wrx 2k8 - would love to hear the exhaust, maybe on one of my Long Island trips, I live in Manhattan.
    I <3 SASHA.M

I am going to tell you right now, NY does not have a decibel law. Most other states have it at 92 and it must be metered 10 feet away from the exhaust outlet at 50% throttle. However, NY, in its infinite wisdom, has a VERY specific exhaust law in NYVAT Title 3 Article 9 section 375 subsection 31:

Quote:
    31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor
    vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
    times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
    constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
    unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
    with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
    muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
    amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
    such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
    originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
    exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.
    A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle
    plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust
    gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.
    An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of
    receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling
    it into the atmosphere.
    The portion in red is what he is citing you on.

PS I am not a lawyer, just well versed in NY Vehicle and Traffic law.

Long Island here, I hope I'm not going to get pulled over all the time. I'm putting in a full 3 inch turbo back with a nameless performance muffler delete. I hope I have the same luck as I did with my first civic.

Where are the meet ups around here? I just joined the forum community 2 days ago and I'm new to all this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.