Down Pipe Emissions Test Question?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Down Pipe Emissions Test Question? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, quick question. Living in NY they do emissions testing on your car for inspection, and have strict emissions ...

Down Pipe Emissions Test Question?

Hey guys, quick question. Living in NY they do emissions testing on your car for inspection, and have strict emissions results, probably second only to CA. If I was to add a down pipe, and cat back exhaust (with a tune) would the "freer" flowing exhaust, and more power result in trouble passing an emissions test?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If the car is properly tuned it should be able to pass emissions. Although it is illegal in any state to modify any part of your car that has to do with emissions (ie. exhaust). This will only be part of the "visual" inspection though, so they might let you slide.

Well the cat back should be legal, I mean people have to replace worn out exhaust components, including cats, right? So even if they noticed a new exhaust, in itself not illegal, not like going catless for example? Or they just more inclined to look in more detail? But I also don't want to install a downpipe (with cat) only to find out I have a problem down the road.

I know the place I use to go hooked up the exhaust to the "sniffer" device, and didn't access the OBD as others have said.

If your exhaust components are worn out it is only legal to replace them with OEM parts. That's why all the aftermarket exhaust systems state they are "for off road use only". It doesn't matter whether they are catted or not, anything other than original equipment is not street legal (although I have never seen this enforced).

With a good tune your should pass the sniffer test whether your exhaust is catted or not. You will probably fail the visual inspection however if your exhaust is cattless. They're not going to hassle you about it being aftermarket as long as it looks like there is a catalytic converter in there somewhere.

I Support ClubWRX
    NY requires a visual inspection of the emission control devices (e.g., cats). Due to the standard rate they're allowed to charge ($26 for the NYMA), often times a shop won't even bother to put it on the lift to check, so as long as you pass OBDII (a proper tune will ensure that), you drive away with a new sticker. In order not to lose money doing an inspection, they probably have to have the inspection done in 15-20 minutes.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

And again the downpipe I am looking at has a cat, and the exhaust would be cat back, so nothing glaring/missing. I could understand a catless system raising a flag.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...show/682/Down-
    Pipe-Single-Piece?category=6&model=23

So is this having a single cat, different that stock which I think may have two?

And I mean how can they tell what is aftermarket versus OEM? I mean Midas has different grades of exhaust, including even polished metal mufflers, whos to tell what OEM is - where does the SPT exhaust that you can have installed at a dealer fall - most inspections shops aren't going to say oh yeah that is "OEM", but it is a dealer installed 50 stsate legal system....Just kinda being rhetorical. I appreciate the advice.

My car is kept in the New York City, and will run it out to Long island for inspections, etc - so not really in a position to be messing around with clearing access port codes, swapping downpipe in and out etc. I really need a set it and forget it situation.

I Support ClubWRX
    A downpipe with a HFC is just as illegal as a fully catless one, and is grounds for inspection failure.

UNYSOC

I wouldn't worry about it too much. 95% of the time they're not going to know the difference between aftermarket and OEM exhaust. As long as it looks legit and isn't leaking they're going to pass it visually.

quick ?. I also live in ny and i know my inspector as a friend. i can pass the visual inspection. but if i get a catless invidia downpipe will i get any cels. i wont be able to get it tuned right away also. i will need to save up after for the v2.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAnKy WrX View Post
    quick ?. I also live in ny and i know my inspector as a friend. i can pass the visual inspection. but if i get a catless invidia downpipe will i get any cels. i wont be able to get it tuned right away also. i will need to save up after for the v2.
    You will have a CEL.

ooooh nooo. lol will a v2 drop the light. if not, how hard is it to take off and put back on when time for inspection

I Support ClubWRX
    You know anyone with a tactrix cable? There are a few in the Albany area that would probably help you out - post up a thread on UNYSOC.

UNYSOC

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have read many people talking about getting CELs with downpipes. I have a COBB DP and AP set to stage 2, so those CELs haven't happened to me.

What is surprising though is I have gotten other CELs - for various non-DP reasons. Whenever my CEL throws, the car absolutely will not go into boost.

How are people putting catless DPs on their cars and "just dealing" with thrown CEL codes? Doesn't that defeat the purpose if the car goes into protect mode? It would drive me nuts.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

this tactrix cable does what and how much is one. is it like the v2 but you can use it on other cars

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAnKy WrX View Post
    this tactrix cable does what and how much is one. is it like the v2 but you can use it on other cars
    I suggest not buying anything without tons of indepth research on your part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.