I'd say a front mount is worth it

This is a discussion on I'd say a front mount is worth it within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; whats up all? Recently bought and installed an HKS s-type front mount intercooler on my 05 WRX sedan. Id say ...

I'd say a front mount is worth it

whats up all?

Recently bought and installed an HKS s-type front mount intercooler on my 05 WRX sedan. Id say its totally worth it, granted you have an upgraded turbo. When I was researching most feedback I got was left as "its a matter of opinion" however I would recommend it. However, it is important that you buy quality as this isnt a mod that you can skimp on. The install was somewhate difficult but goes fine if you take your time. I make this post with hopes that it will easily answer any future questions related to uprgrading to a front mount and I hope that it will provide confidence in making your decision.

-Rob

(you can see the fitment for yourself in my avatar!!
    OBP 05 WRX sedan, Big Evo III 16G, STi 565 injectors, HKS S-type FMIC, HKS super mega flow intake, Walbro FP, Helix catted DP, HKS UP, SRS catback and so much more.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i didnt think a front mount was needed on a 16g?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    "Upgraded turbo" is a very broad justification. It is a matter of personal opinion, but the reason most people install them on smaller turbos (TD04s, VFxx, 16Gs, and even 18Gs) is for looks. The downsides of larger endtanks and extra piping are definitely felt once installed. Keep in mind that your best bet is to match you cooling abilities with your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2litrerex View Post
    i didnt think a front mount was needed on a 16g?
    It's not for the vast majority of people. If you live in Arizona or road race often, then it might be warranted.
    Last edited by brfatal; 04-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.

i live in new york, havent even been re-tuned yet and it still pulls as hard as with the STi topmount. minimal lag as was before therefore i have nothing but good to say about it. lets not forget there is no longer heatsoak from the motor effecting my boost charge. on my dyno day my air intake temp at the trottle body was well over 100 degrees, pretty weak if you ask me
    OBP 05 WRX sedan, Big Evo III 16G, STi 565 injectors, HKS S-type FMIC, HKS super mega flow intake, Walbro FP, Helix catted DP, HKS UP, SRS catback and so much more.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    "Upgraded turbo" is a very broad justification. It is a matter of personal opinion, but the reason most people install them on smaller turbos (TD04s, VFxx, 16Gs, and even 18Gs) is for looks. The downsides of larger endtanks and extra piping are definitely felt once installed. Keep in mind that your best bet is to match you cooling abilities with your needs.

It's not for the vast majority of people. If you live in Arizona or road race often, then it might be warranted.
    anyone can use them and they'll be better than stock! my fmic has no tune no lag and awsome pull! lag on fmic is a joke. you even have one for room to talk? and no "well my friend" or "i read"

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 05BlackBeauty View Post
    i live in new york, havent even been re-tuned yet and it still pulls as hard as with the STi topmount. minimal lag as was before therefore i have nothing but good to say about it. lets not forget there is no longer heatsoak from the motor effecting my boost charge. on my dyno day my air intake temp at the trottle body was well over 100 degrees, pretty weak if you ask me
    I would recommend you don't do anymore "pulls" until you get the tuning sorted out. You should have arranged to do the tuning at the same time, if not immediately after installing the front mount.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    anyone can use them and they'll be better than stock! my fmic has no tune no lag and awsome pull! lag on fmic is a joke. you even have one for room to talk? and no "well my friend" or "i read"
    You're making yourself look like a gigantic idiot right now, just so you know.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

According to his sig he's running a TurboXS FMIC.. and I'm sure he has experience with aftermarket TMICs as well. I have never seen any error in logic from his previous posts either, so I'd believe what he has to say.

I'm running a TurboXS FMIC as well and I like it. Do I really need it? Not really, especially since I'm about to be running e85. But I still like the way it looks, and I'm not having any problems with lag. And I would imagine it helps out on those 100F+ days.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

I've been running a FMIC for about 4 yrs. And no, you are absolutely wrong in your assessment. And from your post, I wouldn't think you'd understand the advantages that a FMIC offers much less the disadvantages.

kbye
    Last edited by brfatal; 04-09-2010 at 09:51 PM.

haha this dude has the right idea

whatever your entitled to your opinions but this thread wasnt made with intentions of arguing over when to be tuned, who needs a front mount etc. judging by our sigs we all have enough experience to know right from wrong with these cars. its sole purpose was to aid in decision making for people having difficulty as i did before i made my purchase.