Water/Methanol Injection FAQ
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Water/Methanol Injection FAQ within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; We don't have a water/methanol section like some other forums, and therefore, we don't see as many threads/posts about it. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Water/Methanol Injection FAQ

We don't have a water/methanol section like some other forums, and therefore, we don't see as many threads/posts about it. This is only a "work in progress" currently; I'll add more as I think of it. Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

What is water/methanol injection?

Water/methanol injection is a system that injects a fine mist of water, methanol, or a combination into the air/fuel mixture along the path to the combustion chamber, creating a chemical intercooling process. It does so because as the water evaporates, it dissipates heat. When methanol is used, it also provides some chemical intercooling, as well as a fuel octane increase. Utilizing water/meth injection not only gives you more power, but the increased octane and cooler charge provide a much higher threshold for detonation, meaning knock events are nearly a thing of the past.

Does water/meth injection require a tune?

Water should only cool the intake charge, but the use of methanol will affect AFRs. Regardless, if you're going to invest in this type of setup, retuning is needed.

Who would benefit from water/meth injection?

Everyone! With the chemical intercooling and octane increase, you can run more boost, more timing, and leaner AFRs, all which lead up to more power. You could easily run 1-2 more PSI, 2-3 degrees more timing, and .5 leaner AFRs, while having a "safer" tune. Power gains of 20whp/wtq aren't unheard of, even at StageII STi power levels.

Other than a water/meth injection kit, what should I have?

You will want some type of failsafe in case of an issue with the kit. Some kits include them, some don't; some manufacturers offer an optional failsafe you can purchase as well. Alternatively, you can just buy simple 3-port solenoid and fittings from Grainger to drop you to wastegate pressure in the event of system failure.

Also, you'll want quality gauges to monitor what's going on in the system; an inaccurate gauge is worse than no gauge at all. At a minimum, you'll want a boost, EGT, and WBO2 gauge.

Where do you buy methanol?

You can buy methanol from many places. A very popular methanol vendor is VP Racing. Some manufacturers sell bottles of pre-mixed fluid (e.g., Snow Performance's Boost Juice). Lastly, you can buy denatured alcohol at any home improvement store (e.g., Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.).

How much is this going to cost me?

This is quite dependent on your tune. On average, expect to get two or three full tanks of gas before having to refill the water/meth reservoir. It's also quite common to create a mixture (e.g., 50/50) of water/meth to help prolong the meth supply. If a gallon of meth/alcohol and a gallon of distilled water cost you $15 total, and lasts you 4-6 tanks of gas, you're really only spending about $.25/gallon (or less) extra for fuel in the 105+ octane level.

Who makes Subaru water/meth injection kits?

AEM
    Aquamist
    Coolingmist
    DevilsOwn
    Labonte Motorsports
    Snow Performance

Of all the systems out there, how do I choose?

There are four styles of operation for water/meth injection kits:
    • Boost
    • MAF
    • IDC
    • Combination

Which kit you select should depend on the recommendation of your tuner, the features of the kit, and your budget.

For more information, the following write-ups of water/meth injection systems are quite good:
    How to choose a WI kit - NASIOC
    Indepth study of WAI injection systems -restart - NASIOC
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice!! Definitely would make a good sticky! Just to add,to reap the real benefits you will need a custom tune. This tune would be for only when running the methonal/alky! Also some people have run HEET ,and believe it or not,no freeze windsheild wiper fluid for their "juice"! Lots of good kits out there! Some of the more popular manufactures:
    AEM Water/Methanol Injection Kits - Water-Meth Injection for Turbo/Superchargers

Water injection : alcohol-methanol injection | DevilsOwn

Snow Performance: Home

Water injection systems, Methanol injection systems : Aquamist

A good link to help in choosing a system:
    How to choose a WI kit - NASIOC
    Last edited by Donkey; 04-06-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    we should do an E85 vs Meth injection thread to add to this

Good Job Matty-pants.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    Just to add,to reap the real benefits you will need a custom tune.
    D'oh! All that writing, and I didn't mention the tuning aspects

I added all of the names I could think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    we should do an E85 vs Meth injection thread to add to this
    I haven't done all that much research into E85, but I know you have. Do it up.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-06-2010 at 10:45 AM.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I haven't done all that much research into E85, but I know you have. Do it up.
    They seem fairly similar with a slight nod in power towards E85, but Methanol is corrosive, and E85 isn't... and E85's fuel availability can be an issue.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

so you would recomend putting a meth kit on even a stage 2 wrx?? i mean it sounds like a good idea but i have no experience with this at all...
    2003 WRX - 48,000 Stage 2
    Bugeye Mafia # 308
    Holds the longest record for an up-pipe install - total of 11 hours

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammtheman View Post
    so you would recomend putting a meth kit on even a stage 2 wrx?? i mean it sounds like a good idea but i have no experience with this at all...
    I wouldn't. Especially on a bugeye.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

ok, i was just looking around on here and saw that and was kinda intersted. i have heard of alot of people running them on like dsm's and hondas so wanted to ask some questions...
    Bugeye Mafia # 308

As far as the tuning aspect, I ran my WRX at low-mid 12:1 AFR with up to 6 degrees more timing with the same pump gas boost pressure of 24psi with a gain of 20whp/15wtq. More torque could have been had if I'd increased the boost over pump gas.

One nice thing about Meth over E85, is that meth doesn't affect your mileage. Meth is corrosive however the only parts of the car it is touching is from the point forward from where it is injected; normally post-IC/pre-TB.

In my tuning experience, 50/50 was more 'forgiving' on the tune. Pure meth I could not get by with as lean AFRs I was running on 50/50(again no changes in boost). And overall the car didn't make as much power on pure meth, it might possibly had if I had changed boost.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammtheman View Post
    ok, i was just looking around on here and saw that and was kinda intersted. i have heard of alot of people running them on like dsm's and hondas so wanted to ask some questions...
    torque breaks transmissions...any form of alcohol increases torque quite a bit. It'd give you more power, and put quite a bit of torque into your transmission... it's a risk thing... are you willing to risk the tranny to increase your power?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by testes1010
    As far as the tuning aspect, I ran my WRX at low-mid 12:1 AFR with up to 6 degrees more timing with the same pump gas boost pressure of 24psi with a gain of 20whp/15wtq. More torque could have been had if I'd increased the boost over pump gas.

One nice thing about Meth over E85, is that meth doesn't affect your mileage. Meth is corrosive however the only parts of the car it is touching is from the point forward from where it is injected; normally post-IC/pre-TB.

In my tuning experience, 50/50 was more 'forgiving' on the tune. Pure meth I could not get by with as lean AFRs I was running on 50/50(again no changes in boost). And overall the car didn't make as much power on pure meth, it might possibly had if I had changed boost.
    I was hoping you'd find this thread and give input.

Thanks, as always!

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    torque breaks transmissions...any form of alcohol increases torque quite a bit. It'd give you more power, and put quite a bit of torque into your transmission... it's a risk thing... are you willing to risk the tranny to increase your power?
    and thats what i was looking for, i am always looking at different things that can be done to my car to achive better numbers...
    Bugeye Mafia # 308

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Props on the write ups. Now you just need to make one about noobs learning to use the search function.. although no one would find it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I ran meth/h20 inj. (Aquamist) on my turbo civic hatch. 10psi, 50/50 water/washer fluid, bone stock B18C1 engine, GSR trans, fmic, t3/t04e 50 trim.
    310whp @ 10psi. without the H2Omix, was 277whp. the aquamist, i had to tune for, severely, as it was set to come on at 5psi, which coincided with the vtec trigger point (5200rpm) and created a real rich lull in the plot. defueling the table (only had a .6mm nozzle for water/meth) in that 5000-5300 range fixed it, and allowed me to add more timing, as well. this was also at 12.5:1 AFRs.

great write-up matt, and thanks for stickying it, ron!
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I'm not much of a tuner, so my understanding is you can either do E85 or the water/meth injection. Is that right? Also, with E85 I've heard once you reach a certain point of tuning your car will no longer be flex fuel and you will need to have it programmed to run strictly E85 any truth to this??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.