Exhaust FAQ - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Exhaust FAQ within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright im new to the wrx world and purchased one with after market exhaust wondering if anyine knows where i ...

alright im new to the wrx world and purchased one with after market exhaust wondering if anyine knows where i can get some components for the 07 that wont cost me the price the dealership gave me so i can get it to pass smog and emissions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    NASIOC classifieds or eBay. Find a stock turbo-back section (downpipe and catback). Put it on for inspection, take it off after.

...what aftermarket components do you have? If you have just a catback then you'll pass smog..unless there's a noice ordinance or something that you have to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    NASIOC classifieds or eBay. Find a stock turbo-back section (downpipe and catback). Put it on for inspection, take it off after.

...what aftermarket components do you have? If you have just a catback then you'll pass smog..unless there's a noice ordinance or something that you have to meet.
    well the exhaust is cut about halfway and no cat on the mid pipe... looks to be like the previous owners did a 3 inch straight pipe with a cobb downpipe and cobb intake.. it does have an sti turbo, intercooler going to my uncles shop tomorrow to know everything he did and check everything im not sure about noise ordinance i live in utah so shouldnt be to bad... would a catted cobb dp work? also i heard the center needs a cat and a resonator to pass??
    Last edited by dirtydriftnutz; 01-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.

If they put a sniffer in the tailpipe, the catted aftermarket dp wont work. If it's just a visual inspection, then it will likely work depending on how stringent they are.

The center (mid) pipe only has a resonator. It didn't have a cat from the factory. The cats are in the downpipe and up-pipes. Most people just put the stock downpipe, or whole turbo back section, back on for inspection if they have a sniffer or stringent inspectors. Any modification of the exhaust is illegal so it's the price you may have to pay once a year. It's a few hours work before and after.

You'll have to figure out what you can get by with in your area.

Here's a visual of the exhaust system:

I Support ClubWRX
    I used to rent a down pipe. 20 bucks, install it, run to the inspection office, uninstall it. Worked alright
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

This is a total noob question but are the downpipes on the EJ motors interchangeable?
    Stitch Jones aka Mr Bakalava
    2013 PBP WRX

The downpipe isn't connected to the motor; it depends on the year model of the car, the turbo positioning, and the flange design.

For the Impreza WRX, and for stock position turbos, the groups are 96-00, 02-07, 08-14.

It'd be better if you could tell us what you are wanting to switch between.

The downpipe isn't connected to the motor; it depends on the year model of the car, the turbo positioning, and the flange design.

For the Impreza WRX, and for stock position turbos, the groups are 96-00, 02-07, 08-14.

It'd be better if you could tell us what you are wanting to switch between.
    Thanks for the clarification! My thought process had me thinking the same motor would share parts. I have a 2013 WRX and was trying to expand my options for a downpipe. I had heard that there were other cars they shared one with (primarily the 08+ STIs). So I'm guessing this is true?
    2013 PBP WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_ringer View Post
    Thanks for the clarification! My thought process had me thinking the same motor would share parts. I have a 2013 WRX and was trying to expand my options for a downpipe. I had heard that there were other cars they shared one with (primarily the 08+ STIs). So I'm guessing this is true?
    If you are going to be replacing your downpipe, just get an aftermarket one. Don't mess around with trying to put an STi downpipe in. It won't be worth it.

^What he said,

I'm really not too keen on the differences from 08+ between the STi and WRX. I know there are some differences between turbo design and intercooler piping/routing.

I'm fairly confident the downpipe is the same for 08-14 WRX and STi. If you're looking at aftermarket, most venders will label exactly what part fits what year and model.

^What he said,

I'm really not too keen on the differences from 08+ between the STi and WRX. I know there are some differences between turbo design and intercooler piping/routing.

I'm fairly confident the downpipe is the same for 08-14 WRX and STi. If you're looking at aftermarket, most venders will label exactly what part fits what year and model.
    I figured as much and the downpipes i was looking at were aftermarket. I just saw a lot of downpipes that would fit the 08 STI/WRX and were fairly cheaper than the
    ones listed for my '13 WRX, seemed suspect. I suppose i'm just a cheapskate hahahahaha. Guess i have to suck it up and just fork over the $$$ for the right stuff. Thanks again for your help and patience guys
    2013 PBP WRX

Is the resonator removable? If so is it difficult and would removing it have any adverse effects on the car?
    Last edited by dead_ringer; 01-10-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    2013 PBP WRX

All the same downpipe. 2010 WRX fits same on 2013 STI. Watched it done

A friend of mine is parting out his 07 STI and offered to sell me his aftermarket downpipe that's been gently used. I have a 13 WRX. The downpipes looks the same. My question is, are they in fact interchangeable?
    2013 PBP WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_ringer View Post
    A friend of mine is parting out his 07 STI and offered to sell me his aftermarket downpipe that's been gently used. I have a 13 WRX. The downpipes looks the same. My question is, are they in fact interchangeable?
    No

2002-2007 WRX/STI Downpipe compatible
    2008/2014 WRX/STI Downpipe compatible
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast