Exhaust FAQ - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Exhaust FAQ within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, all. First time posting... I have a 2002 WRX, and I'm looking to get a turboback exhaust in the ...

nrj
    Hello, all. First time posting...

I have a 2002 WRX, and I'm looking to get a turboback exhaust in the near future. Only thing is I'm looking for something that isn't too loud, something like the TurboXS stealth back which uses the stock WRX muffler seems like a good choice. Does anyone have, or know anything about these? Also, I can't seem to find any other options as far as "stealth" exhausts go. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nrj View Post
    Hello, all. First time posting...

I have a 2002 WRX, and I'm looking to get a turboback exhaust in the near future. Only thing is I'm looking for something that isn't too loud, something like the TurboXS stealth back which uses the stock WRX muffler seems like a good choice. Does anyone have, or know anything about these? Also, I can't seem to find any other options as far as "stealth" exhausts go. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
    For $40-50 you can get an adapter that will change a 3" downpipe fitting to the stock dimensions for your factory cat-back. I haven't personally used one but I've heard good reviews. Anything to the rear of your downpipe is pretty much just sound preference, gains are minimal at that point, so if you want something inexpensive, get a good downpipe and an adapter fitting.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

I am investing in a Megan racing down pipe, only like $150, it will make a conservative sound not the obnoxious fart cannons ricers love to use at all, and when you reach the higher rpm's that's when you can really hear it roar, it also comes with new gaskets for you which is what i really like from the website.

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...at=1471&page=1

that has the 3'' down pipe, pretty cheap from where i have been looking around for, and if you find cheaper they can match the price for you, great website.

nrj
    Quote Originally Posted by devik View Post
    For $40-50 you can get an adapter that will change a 3" downpipe fitting to the stock dimensions for your factory cat-back. I haven't personally used one but I've heard good reviews. Anything to the rear of your downpipe is pretty much just sound preference, gains are minimal at that point, so if you want something inexpensive, get a good downpipe and an adapter fitting.
    This sounds good. Although I'm pretty sure I have a small leak in my stock midpipe, so I'll probably pick up a new 3" mid-pipe as well and get the 3-2" fitting into the stock rear exhaust pipe.

I'm thinking of going catless down/up with a highflow mid, has anyone from NY passed emissions with this setup on a 02 WRX?

nrj
    Quote Originally Posted by devik View Post
    For $40-50 you can get an adapter that will change a 3" downpipe fitting to the stock dimensions for your factory cat-back.
    I'm pretty sure I have a small leak in my stock midpipe, so I'll probably pick up a new 3" mid-pipe as well.
    Upon further research it looks like most aftermarket downpipes replace the mid-pipe as well, so your suggestion seems like the way to go given my leaky mid-pipe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nrj
    I'm thinking of going catless down/up with a highflow mid, has anyone from NY passed emissions with this setup on a 02 WRX?
    NY requires an annual visual inspection of the emission control devices. If the tech doesn't know what he's looking for or doesn't even bother (quite common), then as long as you aren't throwing a code and your readiness monitors are online, you'll be fine.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I was about to buy an Invidia divorced DP when I read an article on the cobb website stating that it gives you problems. It says there are big temp changes on each pipe leading to cracks. Also its somtimes harder to bring boost on quicker as if it helps the "wastegate function too well." They recommend a bellmouth DP, which I thought gives you too much turbulence. So whats the deal here?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by neurosis05 View Post
    I was about to buy an Invidia divorced DP when I read an article on the cobb website stating that it gives you problems. It says there are big temp changes on each pipe leading to cracks. Also its somtimes harder to bring boost on quicker as if it helps the "wastegate function too well." They recommend a bellmouth DP, which I thought gives you too much turbulence. So whats the deal here?
    Basically they both seem to work relatively equally well. I haven't heard anything but good reviews on the Invidia and I haven't had any issues with cracking or boosting on my MadDad DWG. Cobb only sells bellmouth so it is their preference apriori.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Non-mechanical new guy needs help

Once upon a time...
    So I sold my Ford Expedition and bought a 5 speed Subaru WRX. When I bought it the previous owner told me the catalytic converter would need to be replaced. When I drive it, there seems to be a light thudding under the car. I've been told it might be an exhaust leak, which apparently is popular here in upstate consider all my friends have exhaust leaks in their cars. So I might as well replace the whole exhaust. I'm planning on replacing the cat and everything behind it. Price at a dealership to purchase a STI cbe and get it installed is $725. Guy at work praises AVO. Even though STI is factory, is it just as good as aftermarket? Any suggestions on what to do?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
    Once upon a time...
    So I sold my Ford Expedition and bought a 5 speed Subaru WRX. When I bought it the previous owner told me the catalytic converter would need to be replaced. When I drive it, there seems to be a light thudding under the car. I've been told it might be an exhaust leak, which apparently is popular here in upstate consider all my friends have exhaust leaks in their cars. So I might as well replace the whole exhaust. I'm planning on replacing the cat and everything behind it. Price at a dealership to purchase a STI cbe and get it installed is $725. Guy at work praises AVO. Even though STI is factory, is it just as good as aftermarket? Any suggestions on what to do?
    Buy used parts from the classified section on here/Nasioc, install it yourself, and have $500+ in your pocket...

UNYSOC

Wow, fast reply. Ok, so buy used, got it. But STI or other aftermarket brands considering most aftermarket is the same. I'm just considering STI "factory."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyseven
    Wow, fast reply. Ok, so buy used, got it. But STI or other aftermarket brands considering most aftermarket is the same. I'm just considering STI "factory."
    Any OEM exhaust is going to be restrictive compared to aftermarket parts.

UNYSOC

im my own inspector, but my map includes Cat rediness monitors & cel disable so it hooks up to the machine and passes everytime. now if your in nyma(metro area) where they do dyno tests im not sure. but as long as your rediness is passed and cel not on and the tech doesnt notice you dont have a cat or doesnt realise there should b one there you should pass.
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

Quote Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
    im my own inspector, but my map includes Cat rediness monitors & cel disable so it hooks up to the machine and passes everytime. now if your in nyma(metro area) where they do dyno tests im not sure. but as long as your rediness is passed and cel not on and the tech doesnt notice you dont have a cat or doesnt realise there should b one there you should pass.
    I was a NJ state inspector and I dont know if it's different in NY but we didn't have 4 wheel dynos, all 4wd cars only got the idle test. Do they use 4 wheel dynos in NY?

im not sure as im not registered in the nyma area. but i do know they use some sort of dyno.
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.