04 WRX characteristics questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 WRX characteristics questions. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guys i have this question that others seem to not to be able to answer for me nor could ...

04 WRX characteristics questions.

Ok guys i have this question that others seem to not to be able to answer for me nor could i find the information on any of these site or others. Let me know if any or you who have a 04/05 have the same issue as well. OK

This issue is sometimes when im driving my car it tends to want to start boosting and then the wastgate tends to open, let some of the boost go and it drops a couple of pounds then it will continue to increase boost and hold itself at aound .07 bar (Denver=High altitude). Now if i slowly lay on the gas with my foot and hold it at .04 bar and then floor it, it will get up to the .07 bar and hold its self.

So my question is this, is this the ECU being lame and letting go some of the boost for factory safety issues and its just being slow to close the wastegate to rebuild that boost, or do i have issues with my car. Would a tune fix that issue with the ECU letting go of the boost as at builds? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. oh yeah i have a STI upipe and a bosal shorty downpipe, issues were the same prior and the mods did not increase my boost. the upgrades just helped out my bottom end and md range. A tune is expected in the future, but i repeat these characteristics were still the same before the mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your really not describing the problem very well technically. My guess is the stock tuning. Throttle input has alot to do with how the boost is controlled. Things get funky between 20-60% part throttle.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yeah its kinda hard to describe with out being there. if i was driving around say 2000 rpms, decide to floor it, my boost will go up to say .08 bar then it will go down to like .04 then as i go it will start increasing boost like normal, hit .07 bar hold and then tapers off as the rpm's get higher like normal.see my question is it seems the BCS is slow to close or it seems to let off to much pressure, then close to let its self build up again. But if i do like a partial throttle where i keep the boost say like .04 bar then floor it, it goes up to .07 bar holds its self, then tapers at higher rpms like normal. So thats what I wanted to know if its just the factory tune thats funky, if not i want to fix it before i get a real tune. thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a "boost oscillation"
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

boost oscilation like maybe a crack in one of my hose's or maybe just the WGDC needs to be adjusted when i get the tune. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ovsplayer View Post
    boost oscilation like maybe a crack in one of my hose's or maybe just the WGDC needs to be adjusted when i get the tune. thanks
    Probably a crack, leak, wrong ID vac hose, wrong ID T fitting, Wrong ID in-line connector to boost control solenoid... Even longer than stock vac hoses, ALL or any of these things can/will cause boost oscillation's/hunting...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

well this will be a fun one to look for, I did try looking though all my hoses and was not able to find any cracks or holes, i guess i have to go back and check them all over again. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.