Timing belt death
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Timing belt death within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I went rally driving in Alabama today, and had a blast... Taking turns in full on dirt roads at ...

PdP

Timing belt death

So I went rally driving in Alabama today, and had a blast... Taking turns in full on dirt roads at 65!! but on the way home everything changed when I started hearing a loud clanking above my feet which got worse and worse until I started losing gears (auto trans) and finnally the car just stalled out... It now sits at the dealership in Pensacola awaiting diagnoses... Any ideas on what to do with the car? Fix it? Auto to Manuel conversion? STI Engine? If it costs 4k to replace engine then.....?
    Schep
    05 WRX Sport Wagon San Remo Red
    Blob EyE Syndicate #2020

JVC Mobile Turn Me On video now available on Heavy
    Has anyone seen O-P-P? We were all down with him but last time I saw him he was begging for change at 7-11

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you know it's the timing belt?

Could be several things at this point.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Doubt its the timing belt if you were losing gears in the trans. If the timing belt failed or jumped time you'd end up with a motor that wouldn't run. There are interference engines too, so you'd run a valve into a piston and the motor would basically be junk.

Could you restart it once it stalled?

It could be the torque converter.

Auto to manual swap is a pain. If you're going to do it I'd go right to the STi 6MT, R180 rear, axles, hubs, and brakes.

Cheapest option will be to fix what you have, even if it needs a new tranny.

I Support ClubWRX
    It could be a s simple as a dead battery.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

That's a good point. Definitely check the battery out first, as it's the cheapest thing to replace. If you were losing voltage as it was dying it could have affected the shifting. Also, make sure it is charging. Have the alternator load tested. Usually the engine will continue to run if the alternator is good, even without a battery (once started). However, I have seen cases when the battery was sucking so much amperage from the alternator that it dragged the engine down enough to stall it, at which point it couldn't be restarted.

I Support ClubWRX
    My wife's 2001 Honda Civic did something similar recently. Started acting all funky as she was driving it. The rpm started to rise as she was a dead stop and then the car cut out and would not start. She called me thinking the engine was dead. One of the things that keyed me off was that she said for some reason the emergency flashers stopped after 10 minutes of use. Sure enough it was a bad battery and the alternator was 100% fine.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.