'05 wrx motor into '02 wrx *NEED HELP BAD*

This is a discussion on '05 wrx motor into '02 wrx *NEED HELP BAD* within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a '02 wrx (completely stock) with a blown motor. So I found a 05 wrx motor with ...

ZRO

'05 wrx motor into '02 wrx *NEED HELP BAD*

I recently bought a '02 wrx (completely stock) with a blown motor. So I found a 05 wrx motor with 45,000 on it. the guy at the salvage yard said that all I needed to swap over for it to work was the intake manifold, and engine wiring harness. The shop did what he said. They put the motor back in the car. The car will crank, but it won't fire. Every once in a while, it will fire and run briefly then shut off. Then it throws a cam sensor code. So they swapped out the cam sensor from the 02 motor and it does the same thing. Does anyone have any idea's?

Also before they put the motor in, I had them put on a new timing belt...

Do I need to get the ecu from the 05?

Please help me!!!

Thanks ZRO

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's look at your problem with the info given. You say it throws a cam sensor code, then you say they put a new timing belt on it. You also said that a known good cam sensor produced the same results.

Let's do the math on this. The cam sensor code is telling you that the cam is out of position relative to the crank. There's nothing wrong with the sensor. The timing belt is on wrong. If the car will sort of run it's close to right, but probably off 1-2 teeth on one of the sprockets. Get the belt corrected and I'm sure the issue will resolve itself.

I think you needed to use the '02 intake because the later cars are throttle by wire. The '02 computer should run this engine, though you may need a tune to get it 100% optimized as I'm not sure if any other changes were made between '02 and '05. I'd ask that question on the engine management forum.

I Support ClubWRX
    All 02-05 WRX engines are the same and are drive-by-cable. The 04+ STI's and 06+ WRX are 32 bit ECU and drive-by-wire. The stock 02 ECU is fine and does not need to be recalibrated. I agree with TKO in that something might very well be up with the cam timing on the used motor. Could also be the motor is not getting fuel or spark. Could even be a missing/loose ground, but this is the garages job unfortunately to diagnosis this. They are not going to enjoy some else trying to tell them how to do their job I don't think. Is the shop you are using familiar with Subarus?
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-01-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S