best 1st mod for 2009 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on best 1st mod for 2009 WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I found my dream car my new 2009 WRX (used to have a Cobalt SS supercharged it was ...

YepHAHA

best 1st mod for 2009 WRX

Hey guys I found my dream car my new 2009 WRX (used to have a Cobalt SS supercharged it was weak compared to the new turbo models)... so I'm wondering what a solid first mod is? what won't damage my warranty entirely but won't drain my wallet but will give me some horsepower?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

An OS pro-tune or a COBB stage 1... '09 Should almost the same as this... STi info :: WHP for stage 1 '09 WRX & STi picture by wrxdrvr - Photobucket
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I'm in the same situation and was thinking about an Invidia or Cobb downpipe and a Cobb tuner. Guess those would put it near a Stage II since the car came with a SPT exhaust (I haven't researched the SPT exhaust to see if it 3" all the way through.)

I plan upgrade the turbo in the future, so I'm leaning towards a Bellmouth Catless Downpipe. Am I correct in going with a Bellmouth?
    91 Legacy <= rebuilding
    09 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Warranty/Power - which is more important?

If you're looking for power, then expect major warranty claims to be denied.

If you want to mod your car and keep your warranty, focus on some other things: suspension, driveline mounts/bushings, gauges, light wheels / awesome tires, etc.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I would rather mod for power but you have a point, there are other areas that can be addressed and keep the warranty fully intact

I'll do more educational reading about what mods will tread on engine warranty. I would guess up/down pipes and turbo mods will cause possible warranty issues.

I'm hoping that the Cobb tuner by itself will not cause warranty issues. A tight tune would turn loose several ponies that I would really enjoy having, you know how it is
    91 Legacy <= rebuilding
    09 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Driver mod > all.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWRX4Me
    I'm hoping that the Cobb tuner by itself will not cause warranty issues. A tight tune would turn loose several ponies that I would really enjoy having, you know how it is
    Dealerships know if your ECU has been reprogrammed (even if you "revert to stock"). They may not know with what, but they'll know it's not a Subaru reflash (that would be in their computer database).

I'll reiterate what I said before - if you want anything that gives you any kind of power, expect warranty claims to be denied (if they're not, that's a bonus). Your best bet would be to talk to the service manager about your particular dealerships leniency towards power modifications (some are more than others).

UNYSOC

Yes I understand that a tuner will leave traces that a trained eye and tool will see. That is why on the rare occasions I have taken a car into a dealership for work I detune the car right in front of the service rep for I have nothing to hide.

On the flip side I also understand the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
    91 Legacy <= rebuilding
    09 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Ive played that game before and lost.

Power mods while under warranty= CBE (not not even turbo) Subaru of America denied my trunk lid spoiler because the dealer claimed my cat back exhaust made it vibrate too much and the crappy plastic mold to fail around a bolt. I was out nearly 600 dollars for a new trunk lid and paint job. (I was happy since STi spoilers are ugly..)

11,xxx miles-Power mods while under warranty= Up pipe, Downpipe, cat back, Cobb AP, PDX OTS Stage 2 with revisions for HKS SSQV and AEM SRI. 4th Cylinder grenade. No warranty since SoA Black flagged my vin number. Since I worked for a dealer who owned a subaru dealer I was out $1600 for a shortblock and gasket sets. I did the work myself.

My point is... Subaru is bigger than you, you can play the whole my mods didnt make my car go boom all you want, they are still not going to provide you warranty coverage.

It is best to talk to any and all service managers in your area at subaru dealerships and see what they will and will not look over. Some dealers believe that a manufacturers defect is a manufacturers defect, some believe warranty money is still warranty money, and some just plain dont want anything to do with modified cars.
    Last edited by T0rque; 02-08-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had the exact opposite experience. The service manager where I bought my WRX was / has been completely cool with my rather extensive list of mods. It was just in there last week with zero problems (no warranty issues addressed).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I've had the exact opposite experience. The service manager where I bought my WRX was / has been completely cool with my rather extensive list of mods. It was just in there last week with zero problems (no warranty issues addressed).
    see, everywhere is different. Had I called a town over and just had aaa take my car there, I would of never had an issue. Work is work to them. Unfortunately SOSVM feels differently.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    A service manager at a dealership ~60 miles away from me has a WRX with a swapped turbo and he's pretty lenient when it comes to warranty work - basically, unless he knows someone higher up (e.g., regional rep) is going to come in behind him and deny the claim (something he'd get reprimanded for), he's cool with it. He helps the owners out, while covering his own behind.

UNYSOC

i have a 2009 wrx with a CAI and CBE and a protune i'm making 270whp and 297 torque. going to get a catless downpipe soon planning on 300whp after that

i wouldnt recommend the COB accessport just a waste of money in my opinion. open ECU is the same thing.

if you have a major problem with your car just put it back to stock before you go to the dealer.

YepHAHA
    Sounds like it's really just hit or miss.... I know on my old Cobalt SS the dealers were pretty mod friendly...I've heard this about the SRT-4 too.... maybe that's because the domestic automakers are hurting so they need all the help they can get haha.

But seriously... what is everyone's experience with the handling stuff... you mentioned bushings and stuff like sway bars maybe? So do the dealers deny you based on these things? Like, they say "well you had a sway bar so that means you like to take corners faster so that's why we're not going to honor your glovebox breaking", etc etc

nfm
    Yeah that's so messed up that Subaru denies the warranty. I mean my brother has a MK5 GTI and has already got installed Stage 2 along with a downpipe and the dealer was the one that flashed his car with APR .

Few of my favorite mods:
    - Catless turboback and uppipe
    - XPT Stage 2 flash and wastegate adjustment, Cobb OTS Stage 2 is a total waste .
    - Springs! Even the USDM OEM STI, what a difference it was on my 05 WRX.
    - Bushings! Read Diff Outriggers is a must! I also have Kartboy shifter bushing and it feels so great, no more sloppiness.
    - Rear Sway Bar with Endlinks, which is still on my to-do list.
    - Also on my to-do list, STI/Group-N transmission and engine mounts.
    2005 WRX
    - TD04 19psi, GM EBCS, TGV Delete / Perrin Crank Pulley
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - Catless Invidia UP/Helix DP, A'PEXi N1 Catback
    - Kartboy Shifter Bushing/Perrin Rear Diff\Outrigger Bushings
    - Group N Engine/Pitch Stopper/Trans Mounts
    - 2005 STI Springs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.