Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by O HELLA JDM i order my uppipe last night with the extra gaskets i needed, should be ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by O HELLA JDM View Post
    i order my uppipe last night with the extra gaskets i needed, should be a fun weekend with my friend. im trading him this labor for my vinyling labor lol. and were drinking beer so it should be a little more interesting, ill remind him to put back the head shield
    Does he know what he's getting into??
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Does he know what he's getting into??

yea i showed him the grimmspeed video that subiewrx posted. he has worked on plenty of cars and is my local guy that i go to do anything done. figure its going to be a fun 2-4 hours =P
    i iz a noob!
    www.garageworks.co/

Thank you thank you thank you!

I would like to know if after I do all these thinks, if am I going to have problem to do the emission test? Tks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fs.miranda1 View Post
    I would like to know if after I do all these thinks, if am I going to have problem to do the emission test? Tks
    You should have a problem, yes, because the car is no longer legal for road use.

Whether you do have a problem or not though depends on your locale, the types of emissions testing to which you need to subject the car, and whether anyone cares. You will generate a CEL that must be corrected in any case.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fs.miranda1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Yes, it will pass emissions in California with a catless uppipe.

Uppipe FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It should not pass emissions in CA. In fact the car should not pass emissions anywhere in the US. It may pass emissions in CA. I've had my car smogged twice; it would not have passed the first time, as the guy knew his job and knew where to look. It would have passed the second time provided a resistor fix prevented a CEL.
    Quotes for you ^_^
    Welcome to ClubWRX!

Thank you all!!!!

So I've read this whole thread 5 mins here and there through out the day. So what i gained is that if i want to install a catless up pipe (in California) i need to swap out the resistor in the EGT sensor to keep the CEL off, im still confused on if it will pass a smog test though. Or I can install one and just keep the stock up pipe with cat just for inspections.

Just bought a wrx last saturday so im trying to learn before i do any mods. Also i bought the car with a K&N Cat back exhaust already installed so would the grimmspeed up pipe work with the K&N? New to the whole tuning scene.

My bad for bumping this thread from january. Dont know how people are bout that on this forum.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz
    So I've read this whole thread 5 mins here and there through out the day. So what i gained is that if i want to install a catless up pipe (in California) i need to swap out the resistor in the EGT sensor to keep the CEL off, im still confused on if it will pass a smog test though. Or I can install one and just keep the stock up pipe with cat just for inspections.

Just bought a wrx last saturday so im trying to learn before i do any mods. Also i bought the car with a K&N Cat back exhaust already installed so would the grimmspeed up pipe work with the K&N? New to the whole tuning scene.

My bad for bumping this thread from january. Dont know how people are bout that on this forum.
    Post-turbo exhaust has nothing to do with pre-turbo exhaust parts; your CBE has nothing to do with the UP. As for smog, an inspector who knows what to look for will fail you based on not having a pre-turbo ECD. However, running into one to know to look for one isn't likely. YMMV...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Post-turbo exhaust has nothing to do with pre-turbo exhaust parts; your CBE has nothing to do with the UP. As for smog, an inspector who knows what to look for will fail you based on not having a pre-turbo ECD. However, running into one to know to look for one isn't likely. YMMV...
    Yea i realize what i wrote, im new to all this car modding so kind of dumb. Is there a thread where i can get opinions on what to buy from where and if its a smart option?

Really glad I just read this, I have a stock 03' WRX with 168k miles. Been debating a TB exhaust/tune, but been hesitant to start tinkering with a car with so many miles. Especially with a slight oil leak that needs attention first.

My question: With an aftermarket Up-pipe having no Bung for a sensor, what do you do to avoid the check engine light? Stage-2 tune?

Still a noob here :x

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nateleeg View Post
    Really glad I just read this, I have a stock 03' WRX with 168k miles. Been debating a TB exhaust/tune, but been hesitant to start tinkering with a car with so many miles. Especially with a slight oil leak that needs attention first.

My question: With an aftermarket Up-pipe having no Bung for a sensor, what do you do to avoid the check engine light? Stage-2 tune?

Still a noob here :x
    You do not need any EM at all for the up pipe mod. Search "resistor fix" for the CEL. Less than $1.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wow that's so much more simple than I thought.Thanks. Thats awesome. Still a little nervous to do this myself, any tips?

Also, when choosing an up pipe, I'm assuming its better to get the "divorced wastegate"? Just looking at what invidia has to offer
    Last edited by nateleeg; 04-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Read all the up pipe install how-to threads on every Subaru site again and again. Buy lots of penetrating oil and soak every single bolt repeatedly for extended periods of time, tapping the bolts occasionally. Have a couple friends over and plenty of band aids.

Your main concern in up pipe shopping is finding something that won't leak. Search reviews.

FWIW
    I recently passed Colorado emissions testing with no pre-turbo catalytic converter and stock turbo back. they did no visual inspection only a sniffer test and OBDII. I could have had 10 times the levels I had and still pass. you could probably still pass with only 1 of the factory cats in place. I have the resistor fix in place.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.