Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking at the up pipe will provide a better answer than someone like me could give you over the internet... ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking at the up pipe will provide a better answer than someone like me could give you over the internet... but for what it's worth, my answer is "yes."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does anyone have any suggestions on which up pipe to go with? I would of course like to get the best while spending the least . I think I will go with the kind that does NOT include the EGT bung, and I will do the resistor mod. If I'm looking to upgrade my DP later and probably get a cat-back exhaust, what do I need to look for to make sure all of my pieces go together smoothly?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket
    Does anyone have any suggestions on which up pipe to go with? I would of course like to get the best while spending the least
    Grimmspeed makes a good one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on which up pipe to go with? I would of course like to get the best while spending the least . I think I will go with the kind that does NOT include the EGT bung, and I will do the resistor mod. If I'm looking to upgrade my DP later and probably get a cat-back exhaust, what do I need to look for to make sure all of my pieces go together smoothly?
    Check out this thread I started a couple weeks ago. What is the best catless uppipe for a 2002 WRX?

Rallysportdirect.com sells the ceramic coated bungless uppipe for $175.99 and the same one on GrimmSpeed's website is $179.99 + $24.99 for ceramic coating. Don't know how they can sell it for cheaper than the manufacturer but I bought it and am very happy with the quality. This part will work great with a new catless downpipe. It bolts to the turbo so it doesn't really affect fitment of pieces after the turbo. ***If you replace the downpipe you will need a tune***

Glad to hear some girls aren't afraid to work on their car.
    Last edited by 2002SubieWRX; 08-03-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    Rallysportdirect.com sells the ceramic coated bungless uppipe for $175.99 and the same one on GrimmSpeed's website is $179.99 + $24.99 for ceramic coating. Don't know how they can sell it for cheaper than the manufacturer but I bought it and am very happy with the quality. This part will work great with a new catless downpipe. It bolts to the turbo so it doesn't really affect fitment of pieces after the turbo.
    Yeah... I bought my cermamic coated GS uppipe from RSD, and the bolt pattern was incorrect. I had to widen the bolt hole on the turbo flange with a dremel tool. Ask STI_KLR if you don't believe it lol
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. Project is going to have to wait. I can't seem to get the damn thing running right. I kind of need a neutral starting point before I can do cool stuff to it

Can we get this thread stickied?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy
    Can we get this thread stickied?
    It's linked to in the Exhaust FAQ (which is stickied) - that's how I always find it if I need to reference it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I realize that you should be ok for emissions tests if the uppipe is replaced. What about if the uppipe, midpipe and downpipe are changed? That all have cat convert right? Would it still be possible to pass emissions? Or would I want to keep my stock parts and install them specifically for the emissions test?
    Last edited by Xenocide42; 07-30-2011 at 01:14 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide42 View Post
    Would it still be possible to pass emissions?
    Depends on your area.

Or would I want to keep my stock parts and install them specifically for the emissions test?
    I would.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

is anyone in san diego or so cal can do this for me?

Will this pass emissions in cali?

Yes, it will pass emissions in California with a catless uppipe.

Uppipe FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    What about emissions problems like emissions tests and legality? The main purpose of the uppipe cat is to keep cold start emissions low until the main catalytic converters warm up. Using a catless uppipe is a violatation of section 203 of the Clean Air Act. Each state has statutes that cover this subject as well. There have been no know reported cases of catless uppipes causing state emissions test failures.

I Support ClubWRX
    It should not pass emissions in CA. In fact the car should not pass emissions anywhere in the US. It may pass emissions in CA. I've had my car smogged twice; it would not have passed the first time, as the guy knew his job and knew where to look. It would have passed the second time provided a resistor fix prevented a CEL.

So the upside on doing this is to protect the turbo and gain a few hp. The downside you wont pass smog?
    i iz a noob!
    www.garageworks.co/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by O HELLA JDM View Post
    So the upside on doing this is to protect the turbo and gain a few hp. The downside you wont pass smog?
    You should not pass smog. I purposely made that distinction.