Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; thinking about ordering this grimmspeed upipe http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Suba...u_WRX_STI.html so of course I have a few questions about it... Is there much ...

thinking about ordering this grimmspeed upipe http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Suba...u_WRX_STI.html
    so of course I have a few questions about it... Is there much of a difference between coated/uncoated? What other parts will I need to go with it? Is the 44mm block off plate necessary/what exactly is it blocking off. Lastly, what gaskets might i need because I'm seeing all different kinds of gaskets. Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subiwagon03
    Is there much of a difference between coated/uncoated?
    Heat wrap / coating will help retain heat which helps prevent heat soak and maintain gas velocity. For what they charge you for it, it's worth buying the coated version.

What other parts will I need to go with it?
    Gaskets for each connection you "break" (this will depend on your install method); usually turbo/uppipe, uppipe/manifold, and turbo/downpipe.

Is the 44mm block off plate necessary/what exactly is it blocking off.
    On this Grimmspeed uppipe, nothing. They offer external wastegate uppipes which can use the plate if you buy the pipe and don't buy the gate itself.

Lastly, what gaskets might i need because I'm seeing all different kinds of gaskets.
    See above
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thumbs up

thanks a lot for the help, I'm going to look into ordering it asap

Really informative thread, looks like this will be my first mod asap as my 05 has 146,000km (92kish) on it and it is all stock... I am curious with a lower turbo spool time does that have any effect on MPG?

this might be a dumb question but i just recently bought a 2011 wrx and i was wanting to know if my uppipe has a cat in it as well or did they start taking them out in the newer models. i didnt find this anywhere on this thread but if i missed it sorry
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are no UP cats in the EJ255 motor.

Sent from my Droid using the "I don't give a ****" app
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

My bad I guess I should have read the title of the thread. Would I still benefit from an aftermarket uppipe and would I need a tune afterwards
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    This was an awsome write up....and I am glad I found out about the up pipe this way.
    Thank you for the heads up.

Any thoughts on Cobb vs. Perrin?

I just bought an OEM up pipe, cuz unfortunately mine is cracked at the moment..I was already told to gut the one I just got, which I plan on doing..but the whole EGT sensor thing, im a little confused about :/ if I bolt up the whole where it goes will it make the engine light come on or affect smoging at all? and I will need new gaskets as well? sorry I'm new to all this and plan on doing it soon, just don't wanna do it wrong.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xchristhompsonx View Post
    I just bought an OEM up pipe, cuz unfortunately mine is cracked at the moment..I was already told to gut the one I just got, which I plan on doing..but the whole EGT sensor thing, im a little confused about :/ if I bolt up the whole where it goes will it make the engine light come on or affect smoging at all? and I will need new gaskets as well? sorry I'm new to all this and plan on doing it soon, just don't wanna do it wrong.
    You will need to perform the 2.2Kohm 1/2 watt resistor fix if you remove the EGT sensor, or get the code defeat from your local tuner. I suggest the former; it's a piece of cake.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You will need to perform the 2.2Kohm 1/2 watt resistor fix if you remove the EGT sensor, or get the code defeat from your local tuner. I suggest the former; it's a piece of cake.
    sorry if I sound stupid, but i don't exactly get what to do..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xchristhompsonx
    sorry if I sound stupid, but i don't exactly get what to do..
    Instructions are in the first post of this thread.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

If I get an up pipe how will I know if it is gonna rip apart? I was gonna buy an up pipe but I dont want it messing up my car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanSubie View Post
    If I get an up pipe how will I know if it is gonna rip apart? I was gonna buy an up pipe but I dont want it messing up my car.
    Have a closer look at the first post in the thread. The factory up pipe has a cat. Your car may or may not have a factory up pipe. If it does not, you do not have a cat, and you do not need an up pipe. It is unlikely you will find an aftermarket up pipe with a cat.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

can eny one help me does my 2001 bug eye have a cat in the up pipe thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.