Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...dc73dcb91caf67 is this a "quality" up pipe, and i know it does not have the "flex" section in it, but ...

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...dc73dcb91caf67

is this a "quality" up pipe, and i know it does not have the "flex" section in it, but is that neccessary? i believe you do not need to get the resistor fix with this as well..?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vlc92189
    is this a "quality" up pipe
    Yes.

and i know it does not have the "flex" section in it, but is that neccessary?
    No.

i believe you do not need to get the resistor fix with this as well..?
    While it has an EGT bung, you are not going to want to reinstall the sensor there. Not only is it no longer necessary (no cat to monitor), but readings should be taken from the exhaust manifold, and for the same reason you get rid of the cat, you don't want the sensor to get sucked into the turbo.

If you install a catless uppipe, remove the EGT sensor completely. How you deal with the code (resistor, disable in rom, etc.) is up to you.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Awesome amount of information and user input here, guys! I don't want to kick a dead horse here, but for my specific setup, I need some input. 2002 wrx sedan, 120xxx kms, about to replace the uppipe, downpipe and install a full 3 inch catback exhaust system. All the parts are from HKS. Before you jump all over me, I have done a TON of reading but haven't found anything conclusive. I have read the new catless uppipe does NOT require a tune, however will the new catless downpipe require one? What are some of the negative effects of not getting a tune will this cause? I'm fairly new to Subarus, but definitely not new to cars and working on them, parts etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by scott-wrx View Post
    Awesome amount of information and user input here, guys! I don't want to kick a dead horse here, but for my specific setup, I need some input. 2002 wrx sedan, 120xxx kms, about to replace the uppipe, downpipe and install a full 3 inch catback exhaust system. All the parts are from HKS. Before you jump all over me, I have done a TON of reading but haven't found anything conclusive. I have read the new catless uppipe does NOT require a tune, however will the new catless downpipe require one? What are some of the negative effects of not getting a tune will this cause? I'm fairly new to Subarus, but definitely not new to cars and working on them, parts etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    A Catless uppipe does not require a retune. However, it does require a resistor in the EGT connector. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJSxMBCMDCU

An aftermarket downpipe does need a retune.
    With 02 WRX's some people have had success without a tune, but the results will be better with a tune.
    03+ WRX's require a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    A Catless uppipe does not require a retune. However, it does require a resistor in the EGT connector. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJSxMBCMDCU

An aftermarket downpipe does need a retune.
    With 02 WRX's some people have had success without a tune, but the results will be better with a tune.
    03+ WRX's require a tune.
    Beautiful, thanks for the info.

So if I've read this thread correctly them the best thing to do is just get a catless uppipe with no EGT bung which cancels out the EGT sensor?

Which will then in turn set off a code and you have to put in a resistor to fix the code??( could I get some pics f the resistor and where to put it?

Also what do you do with the EGT wiring if you don't even need it anymore?

does someone possibly have a picture or diagram of where the resistor is put?
    or should I just clear the code with a scanner that I have?

Is there a possibility of it reappearing if I just clear it???

[QUOTE=Kamakazecam;2658037]does someone possibly have a picture or diagram of where the resistor is put?
    or should I just clear the code with a scanner that I have?

I think this is what you are looking for

2.2K Ohm Resistor Mod

Thanks to this I'm picking my car up from a local performance shop as soon as I get off work today. Had a grimmspeed catlessup-pipe installed.
    - 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX

" You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by rob_is_legend View Post
    Thanks to this I'm picking my car up from a local performance shop as soon as I get off work today. Had a grimmspeed catlessup-pipe installed.
    if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have that install done? Im debating whether to do it myself or just take it to a shop

Quote Originally Posted by Willg View Post
    if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have that install done? Im debating whether to do it myself or just take it to a shop
    Cost me $200 to get it installed. Completely worth it. My cat had actually started to disintegrate!!! Had I driven a few more times, it would've been bad. I LOVE the up-pipe though. I can hear the turbo spool great and the recirculator is much more pronounced now. Totally worth it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Willg
    As long as you have tools/space, if you have friends who are somewhat mechanically inclined, just offer to buy pizza/beer for their help. It's not a difficult DIY, but a pain in the ass, and worth it to have friends around if for nothing more than to shoot the **** with.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I pulled one from an 02 and gutted it myself. It was a PITA, but beer and hanging out with buddies made it all good.

If I had the time to do it myself I would've just for the experience. I was busy with work and school and so I just didn't have the time to get it done myself. Very much worth it though

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    As long as you have tools/space, if you have friends who are somewhat mechanically inclined, just offer to buy pizza/beer for their help. It's not a difficult DIY, but a pain in the ass, and worth it to have friends around if for nothing more than to shoot the **** with.
    PITA is right!!! Holy Crap!!! I have done engine rebuilds, swaps, all kinds of car work, buuut pulling that dag on stock uppipe out sucked BIG TIME! I then tried to gut this jewel...needless to say I am having a Invidia uppipe delivered tomorrow I could see me possibly gutting it, but i think my initial approach knocked it too far down to actually do a proper job of removing EVERYTHING. Eh, just think that anybody going into this job should know that it isn't as crazy easy as everyone says.