Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Why not just use a resistor to disable it (about

) instead of risk your EGT ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Why not just use a resistor to disable it (about $1) instead of risk your EGT sensor breaking off and grenading the turbo?
    This might be a noob question but if you were to do this, would it send off a check engine light? Also does gutting the uppipe doesn't break that emissions law that your brought up in another one of your posts? (2002 WRX)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx
    This might be a noob question but if you were to do this, would it send off a check engine light? Also does gutting the uppipe doesn't break that emissions law that your brought up in another one of your posts? (2002 WRX)
    The resistor fix disables the CEL associated with the uppipe modification. Since it is tampering with / removing emission control devices, it violates the Federal CAA.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The resistor fix disables the CEL associated with the uppipe modification. Since it is tampering with / removing emission control devices, it violates the Federal CAA.
    gotcha. thanks! one more question: would the car still pass inspection with the resistor mod and/or the gutted up pipe?
    Last edited by '02 wrx; 04-08-2010 at 07:40 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx
    gotcha. thanks! one more question: would the car still pass inspection with the resistor mod and/or the gutted up pipe?
    I don't know your inspection laws. Most likely, a gutted uppipe would have no issue passing inspection as long as there isn't a CEL (they don't know if the cat is present or hollowed out).

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx View Post
    Depends. In CA, it might fail the visual inspection. If a visual inspection is done where you live, the last thing you want is a nice, shinny new upppipe in a dirty engine bay to draw attention to it. Dirty it up a bit so it looks like an old, worn factory part. Or clean the rest of your engine compartment so it's spotless.

as long as you put the heatshield and plastic back on the bottom of the car the only way they can see the up-pipe is with use of a mirror and some searching. i highly doubt the average mechanic knows there is a cat in the up-pipe any way
    2003 WRX - 48,000 Stage 2
    Bugeye Mafia # 308
    Holds the longest record for an up-pipe install - total of 11 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Matt314 View Post
    Depends. In CA, it might fail the visual inspection. If a visual inspection is done where you live, the last thing you want is a nice, shinny new upppipe in a dirty engine bay to draw attention to it. Dirty it up a bit so it looks like an old, worn factory part. Or clean the rest of your engine compartment so it's spotless.
    I live in NY. I know they do the "sniffer" test.
    If I put a catless uppipe and a Cobb AP, wouldn't the EM tune the car so it passes?
    And the 05+'s are catless uppipe stock and they pass. Because they are tuned to be catless, yes?
    I just don't get it then
    Please correct me if wrong...
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie
    I live in NY. I know they do the "sniffer" test.
    If I put a catless uppipe and a Cobb AP, wouldn't the EM tune the car so it passes?
    And the 05+'s are catless uppipe stock and they pass. Because they are tuned to be catless, yes?
    I just don't get it then
    Please correct me if wrong...
    NYS does not require a sniffer test for passenger vehicle inspections. To pass NYS emissions, you must pass an OBDII check and a visual inspection of the emission control devices.

The Cobb AP will disable any CELs associated with an uppipe. In terms of a visual inspection, many places won't even bother with it. Since you live outside the NYMA, an inspection is $21. Labor rate here is ~$80/hr, so in order for the shop not to lose money, they have to have the inspection complete within 15 minutes. The OBDII, lights, brakes, tires, etc. takes at least that. Even if a car is put on the lift, an aftermarket uppipe will most likely not cause your car to fail, because the inspector would have to know the car is supposed to have a catalytic converter there (which, many probably don't expect it to).

UNYSOC

thanks everyone for their inputs! good luck to everyone

If I am purchasing an 03 wrx and I am unsure if the up-pipe was replaced (from a dealership) for aftermarket what can I look for so I don't buy one and find out it already has an aftermarket or gutted OEM?

It would be pretty tough to spot a gutted OEM. Maybe someone else has an idea how to tell if it is gutted or not.

If it has an aftermarket UP, it would be visible from under the car or possibly from inside the right wheel well if you move some of the fender liner. The stock one has heat shields all over it but most of the aftermarket ones are just a pipe.
    "Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual." - Edward Tufte

Bugeye Mafia #314

So would this mess with emissions laws since your removing the cat? I am from maryland and we have to get tested once a year emission wise

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vlc92189
    So would this mess with emissions laws since your removing the cat? I am from maryland and we have to get tested once a year emission wise
    Technically, tampering with emission control devices violates federal law. Will it cause you to fail? I'm not sure.

UNYSOC

so im in the market for an upipe, and i was wondering, is the OEM STI one from an 04 ok? as in would it throw a CEL on my stock 04 wrx?

I Support ClubWRX
    is the OEM STI one from an 04 ok?
    It would fit.

would it throw a CEL on my stock 04 wrx?
    You will not be reusing the EGT sensor, so it will. I explained how to deal with that in the original post.

UNYSOC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.