Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Anub1s Well written post man, hopefully more people will see this before they end up with a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s
    Well written post man, hopefully more people will see this before they end up with a grenaded turbo.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That's probably the cheapest "quality" uppipe on the market if you were looking to purchase new.
    Same pipe will fit my 2003 WRX?
    I'm ordering tonight if so...
    Thanx all
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtModJunkie
    Same pipe will fit my 2003 WRX?
    I'm ordering tonight if so...
    Thanx all
    Yes

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    Just found this on rallysportdirect.com

RallySportDirect.com - Greddy Subaru Up-Pipe with out EGT Bung

I also saw some plates they sell that block off the open port.

this page shows the up pipe with gaskets is this a good quality deal or should the gaskets come from the dealer?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by akplaaya View Post
    this page shows the up pipe with gaskets is this a good quality deal or should the gaskets come from the dealer?
    They claim that they are made based on factory gaskets. I already ordered mine, I guess if I have any issues I can post here again about it.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

I actually just put in a greddy up pipe, along with a catless hks down pipe the other day. The gaskets that come with the greddy pipe look near identical to stock. I had two stock gaskets pre-purchased for the install so I was able to compare the two because I hadn't decided on the exact brand yet. The new up pipe is working perfectly so far although it hasn't been all too long Loving the car with a new tune and exhaust.

Note: If doing the up pipe install yourself make sure to have a dremel tool or a special socket to remove the O2 sensor on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Getting the up pipe out without one of the above is a PITA.

Edit: If you want a less expensive up pipe WITH the bung because you can't clear check engine lights, greddy makes one with a whole for it as well. It's not all too expensive, I got mine from JSC Speed for 133 bucks.
    Last edited by CmrnDrgn; 03-16-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn
    Edit: If you want a less expensive up pipe WITH the bung because you can't clear check engine lights, greddy makes one with a whole for it as well. It's not all too expensive, I got mine from JSC Speed for 133 bucks.
    Why not just use a resistor to disable it (about $1) instead of risk your EGT sensor breaking off and grenading the turbo?

UNYSOC

Registered User nickolasjamison's Avatar
    Thank you for this thread. I just got an 03 WRX with 25000 miles. I had no idea about this until tonight. Question, when do you all think is the best time to do this? ASAP or do i have some time?

If you are stock with 25,000 miles you don't need to worry about doing anything asap or anything, just do it when you have time. It's definitely a worthwhile mod.

Anyone know if their is a specific size or rating of bolt I need to put in the place of the bung on my new up pipe?
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Registered User nickolasjamison's Avatar
    Awesome thanks. I can't afford any mods like that just yet. I just dropped a few bones on getting the car lol. When i start doing engine stuff that will be the first thing I consider just to avoid having my turbo go haywire.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nickolasjamison
    Thank you for this thread. I just got an 03 WRX with 25000 miles. I had no idea about this until tonight. Question, when do you all think is the best time to do this? ASAP or do i have some time?
    Quote Originally Posted by nickolasjamison
    Awesome thanks. I can't afford any mods like that just yet. I just dropped a few bones on getting the car lol. When i start doing engine stuff that will be the first thing I consider just to avoid having my turbo go haywire.
    The sooner you do it, the better. With that said, at < 30K miles, I wouldn't be so worried I wouldn't drive the car, but I would make sure that before any other modification, you get this squared away.

If you want to be thrifty, you can do this for $50 or less if you just gut the OEM one, not including any tools you need to purchase.

At most, this is a $250 job if you install it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn
    Anyone know if their is a specific size or rating of bolt I need to put in the place of the bung on my new up pipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    If the uppipe you're installing has an EGT bung, then use a bolt (M12 x 1.25) to plug the hole.
    ^ See above (taken from original post) ^

UNYSOC

I dont know if this has been answered in any other threads, but my question is simple. waiting to be installed, I have an aftermarket catless up-pipe with no EGT bung. do I need a tune? Ive read elsewhere that I do and that I dont. also, what is this resistor mod Ive heard mentioned?
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Thanks for the tip EJ-257. Somehow missed that tidbit in the original write up.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby3 View Post
    I dont know if this has been answered in any other threads, but my question is simple. waiting to be installed, I have an aftermarket catless up-pipe with no EGT bung. do I need a tune? Ive read elsewhere that I do and that I dont. also, what is this resistor mod Ive heard mentioned?
    I think the first page of this thread has the link to the article covering all this. But for the record, I don't believe you need a tune for a uppipe w/o egt, but when the egt is disconnected, you'll get a CEL. The resister mod can take care of it, or an engine mangement device can take care of it. Other than that I don't believe you -have- to be tuned til you get a dp
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby3
    waiting to be installed, I have an aftermarket catless up-pipe with no EGT bung. do I need a tune? Ive read elsewhere that I do and that I dont. also, what is this resistor mod Ive heard mentioned?
    No, you do not need a tune.

You will get a CEL, which can be disabled with either engine management or a resistor.

UNYSOC