Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The idea behind replacing the Uppipe is to get one without a cat. Plain and simple. That's all. Then you ...

The idea behind replacing the Uppipe is to get one without a cat. Plain and simple. That's all. Then you do the resistor fix for the sensor so you don't throw a CEL. Problem solved. No longer will you put your turbo at risk.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks mikie for the info.

I just bought a 2004 wrx wagon, bone stock. first thing performance wise that i wanna do is the uppipe, im not that good with engines but im willing to learn. is it hard to replace? and if im going to do replace the whole exhaust system at some point in the near future should i just do it all at once?

Quote Originally Posted by tjkuip0 View Post
    I just bought a 2004 wrx wagon, bone stock. first thing performance wise that i wanna do is the uppipe, im not that good with engines but im willing to learn. is it hard to replace? and if im going to do replace the whole exhaust system at some point in the near future should i just do it all at once?
    Replacing the up pipe and replacing the exhaust are on two different sides of the turbo. You do disconnect the downpipe during up pipe installation though. Grimmspeed has a video on how the up pipe is replaced. Check it out on youtube
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationaryÖ thatís what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    Replacing the up pipe and replacing the exhaust are on two different sides of the turbo. You do disconnect the downpipe during up pipe installation though. Grimmspeed has a video on how the up pipe is replaced. Check it out on youtube
    would it b a wise choice to do headers at the same time as the uppipe?

would it b a wise choice to do headers at the same time as the uppipe?
    Reason being is you have to disconnect the exhaust manifold anyways , so you might as well do headers at the same time if you are planning on doing it. Same with a downpipe IMO.

Loosen turbo , remove exhaust manifold and swing the stock up pipe out of there. Sometimes you have to jack up the motor slightly to get the stock up to come out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Also - I'd suggest finding a shop to do the up pipe swap if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. You will thank yourself later. Especially If you run into any stud issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmsti View Post
    Also - I'd suggest finding a shop to do the up pipe swap if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. You will thank yourself later. Especially If you run into any stud issues.

ya i am going to have a shop do the uppipe but should i do headers at the same time? since the shop will b lifting the whole motor out anyways?

ya i am going to have a shop do the uppipe but should i do headers at the same time? since the shop will b lifting the whole motor out anyways?
    Why is the whole motor coming out ? The headers r a personal choice. R u worried about smog at all ?

maybe i was wrongly informed.. i was told the whole engine had to b lifted up to replace the uppipe..

maybe i was wrongly informed.. i was told the whole engine had to b lifted up to replace the uppipe..
    No. You sometimes need to slightly jack up the motor but it doesn't involve removing the motor. The heatsheild is the issue. It gets caught up at times which is why you MAY need to slightly jack up the motor.

I wouldnt waste money on headers,,,,sounds like a sooped up Honda....I have EL Tomei Headers on...going back to stock or Grimmspeeds set up..

Quote Originally Posted by mikewondo View Post
    I wouldnt waste money on headers,,,,sounds like a sooped up Honda....I have EL Tomei Headers on...going back to stock or Grimmspeeds set up..
    You don't have to use EL headers. There are aftermarket UEL headers that are well worth it for a stage 2+ setup.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewondo View Post
    EL headers are not just sound. Yes, they do take the token "subaru rumble" away, which I admit, I love too, but they can add a significant amount of performance if matched with the right upgrades and tuned for correctly.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 01-19-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    EL headers are not just sound. Yes, they do take the tolken "subaru rumble" away, which I admit, I love too, but they can add a significant amount of performance if matched with the right upgrades and tuned for correctly.
    Well, so can aftermarket UEL headers. The main difference between the two is the resulting power bands each has to offer.