First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Kemy704 I wanna make it as fast as i can without none of the Downfalls, need help ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kemy704 View Post
    I wanna make it as fast as i can without none of the Downfalls, need help bro thanks.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing. Anything that increases power will have downsides. I would start with an end goal and a budget, that'll make answering the question a little easier
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a 2011 WRX Impreza

Thanks for the heads up bro, but this is my first car that I can actually put work in to test it to the max, and I can use all the help I can get to it to be Fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Kemy704 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up bro, but this is my first car that I can actually put work in to test it to the max, and I can use all the help I can get to it to be Fast..
    It's fast from the factory. I'd get used to it first, then decide what you feel needs improvement and modify from there
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I appreciate others chiming in and I understand what is trying to be conveyed, however, this is the how to modify your car thread. Let's stick to helping people modify their cars.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Hey all, what do you think about my first mods? I don't want the car to be loud, so I'm staying stock on the exhaust.

Basically a stage 1+. Is there anything I'm missing or should be substituting with something else?

Cobb AP
    AEM CAI
    GS EBCS
    Road Protune

Let me know what you think... I doubt I'll go tbe and cbe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerjoe
    Hey all, what do you think about my first mods? I don't want the car to be loud, so I'm staying stock on the exhaust.

Basically a stage 1+. Is there anything I'm missing or should be substituting with something else?

Cobb AP
    AEM CAI
    GS EBCS
    Road Protune

Let me know what you think... I doubt I'll go tbe and cbe.
    I wouldn't bother with the EBCS or AP. Just get someone to do an OpenECU road tune.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I see, so an OpenECU road tune will net same results (more or less) compared to AP road tune?
    It's just a different way to datalog/process/upload a map via romraider for example, correct?

Why is AP the preferred method, I mean the software is free (so I read) for romraider, and I'd bet majority of people have laptops.

I Support ClubWRX
    The extra money goes towards convenience. The AP is easier to use for most people than diving in themselves.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think it is easy enough for anyone who knows how to follow directions and click buttons.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Hey I have an 02 wry with sit pink injectors, a turbo xs tmic, perrin fuel rails, magna flow cat back, vf39 turbo, and a cobb. I need help figuring out the right map to run !!!
    Last edited by travishronis02; 04-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travishronis02 View Post
    Hey I have an 02 wry with sit pink injectors, a turbo xs tmic, perrin fuel rails, magna flow cat back, and a cobb. I need help figuring out the right map to run !!! Someone told me I have a upgraded turbo to but I'm not sure and can't see past the heat sheild to see whats on it. It has like three letters on it I think
    Are the letters "IHI?"

And you have a Cobb _____? (a Cobb what on it?)

Take the heat shield off it to get a better look at the turbo.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ya it is the vf39 turbo. I have a cobb accessport in my car. None of the maps on the cobb site say anything about a aftermarket tmic. So i wasn't sure if that would effect anything

Quote Originally Posted by travishronis02 View Post
    Ya it is the vf39 turbo. I have a cobb accessport in my car. None of the maps on the cobb site say anything about a aftermarket tmic. So i wasn't sure if that would effect anything
    If I'm not mistaken, the AP should have an off the shelf (OTS) map for the VF39. Jump on Cobb's site and search for map notes/etc. If you don't have the VF39 map on your AP already, you should be able to download it. On an 02, having a TMIC shouldn't hurt it at all, but you won't gain the most for having the part. Best thing you could do is take it to a tuner and get a protune.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Whoa there partner... do you have a downpipe with all this? I can't imagine doing a turbo swap without one, but you 100% need one if you're running anything above Cobb's Stage I OTS maps.

I believe the the VF39 map comes preloaded onto the AP, but if not, here's the link from Cobb: OTS Maps

You'll want the Stage III VF39 map. According to the notes, it is compatible with an STI or equivalent top mount, so your TurboXS should be fine, not so sure about the fuel rails, though. I would consider this as a crutch to carry you to a protune. The OTS maps weren't designed for things like fuel rails. You might be ok, you might not. Consider yourself warned.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson