First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a stock 2004 wrx and i am thinking about upgrading to an 18g turbo. What all would I ...

much needed help w turbo! sorry newbie!

I have a stock 2004 wrx and i am thinking about upgrading to an 18g turbo. What all would I have to replace if I made that mod. The only mod to current date is an short RAM intake. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go two posts up from here...see the link in SD GR's sig.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thanks guys !

Thanks guys, thats allot of info to look into. I'll post back on here what I do and put some pics up soon.

My first time looking at this thread and saw something that scared me! The uppide cat breaking apart and destroying the turbo?! I really want to take care of this but is it legal in California to replace the uppipe with a cat-less one?! I doubt it with our stupid strict emmision laws out here....
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"
    ** The Blobeye Syndicate ** #442

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead
    My first time looking at this thread and saw something that scared me! The uppide cat breaking apart and destroying the turbo?! I really want to take care of this but is it legal in California to replace the uppipe with a cat-less one?! I doubt it with our stupid strict emmision laws out here....
    It is illegal to tamper with emission control devices in any state.

If you're really concerned, gut it (looks stock, but catless)...
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-20-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It is illegal to tamper with emission control devices in any state.

If you're really concerned, gut it (looks stock, but catless)...
    Thanks for the advice, you really think I should do this? Will this also allow for better airflow? Won't that mess with the computer, a.k.a. will I have to tune it? Sorry for the ?'s I just don't know anything about this little mod...
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"

I Support ClubWRX
    See the link in my signature for any/all info. In short you will generate a CEL, that must be corrected or your car will not pass emissions. To do so you will need to implement the resistor fix (search that term specifically) or use an ECU management scheme to dismiss the code while allowing the sensor to report "ready" since a sensor that doesn't report ready is just as bad as a CEL with respect to smog checks.

Incidentally, your cat is not guaranteed to dislodge and destroy your turbo. My guess is that most in fact do not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead
    Thanks for the advice, you really think I should do this? Will this also allow for better airflow? Won't that mess with the computer, a.k.a. will I have to tune it? Sorry for the ?'s I just don't know anything about this little mod...
    It's up to you. A friend of mine had the cat dislodge and get sucked into the turbo on his '04.

Yes, it will allow for better airflow, resulting in better spool and power. Total cost for gutting the uppipe is ~$100, if you don't already have the tools. Because an uppipe install can be a bear, I recommend purchasing an OE uppipe in the classified section and gutting it at your leisure. This will allow you not to rush (possibly missing cat material that in turn can be sucked into the turbo), and should help reduce vehicle downtime (if there are complications with the uninstall / reinstall, you don't have the time factored into gutting the material to add to it). After your install, you can sell the one off your car to recoup all / most of what you spent on your second one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    IMO an aftermarket uppipe is nearly impossible to spot on a normal inspection and you don't have to deal with the extremely toxic crap you will be gutting. No guarantees though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Wow, thank you so much guys! I have a lot of thinking to do...
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving!!!!
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"

I live in California also and i have a catless up pipe. Not gutted or anything I just purchased an Invidia catless up pipe and it's fine. what you have to do is put your STOCK down pipe back on when you go to get smoged. (this means you need to set your ecu back to stock mode with your cobb ap if u have it or anything like it.) After doing that i passed easily with no questions. took it back home and was back to stage 2 within the hour. Just remember when switching the Down Pipes you NEED to tune accordingly. good luck!

hey man I have an 2011 Rex 2.5, wanna get the most HP out of it.... What should i get and what has to be done, Please let me know. I wanna make it as fast as i can without none of the Downfalls, need help bro thanks.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemy704 View Post
    hey man I have an 2011 Rex 2.5, wanna get the most HP out of it.... What should i get and what has to be done, Please let me know. I wanna make it as fast as i can without none of the Downfalls, need help bro thanks.
    I have no experience with 2011 - maybe someone else can point out if there are any significant differences from the mod path outlined in the OP.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Kemy704 View Post
    WRX or just a 2.5i Impreza?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.