First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone! I just bought my first Subaru about 3 weeks ago (It's a 2011 WRX Sedan) and I have ...

Hello everyone! I just bought my first Subaru about 3 weeks ago (It's a 2011 WRX Sedan) and I have a question about the Stage 1 tune. I haven't done anything to the car besides window tint, but it came with the SPT Catback from the dealership so I am not sure if I need to do anything else before even trying to get a tune. I read on a thread that it could increase the hp/trq by roughly 20/70 respectively. My question is, if I did the Stage 1 tune how much, if at all would that effect my gas mileage?

Thanks!
    "It's a shame that stupidity can't be converted into a usable energy source."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dunc View Post
    Hello everyone! I just bought my first Subaru about 3 weeks ago (It's a 2011 WRX Sedan) and I have a question about the Stage 1 tune. I haven't done anything to the car besides window tint, but it came with the SPT Catback from the dealership so I am not sure if I need to do anything else before even trying to get a tune. I read on a thread that it could increase the hp/trq by roughly 20/70 respectively. My question is, if I did the Stage 1 tune how much, if at all would that effect my gas mileage?

Thanks!
    You can get a stage 1 tune. I'd highly recommend it.

I wouldn't expect the tune alone to change your gas mileage by anything noticeable. Technically, the car wouldn't be running quite as rich, which would help. Boost might kick in a bit earlier, which would hurt it. People have opinions both ways on it. It more so depends on how you drive it... which may change after you get it tuned for better or worse.

Look into Cobb if you want a nice plug and play solution. Not cheap though. If you don't plan on modding the car much power wise in the near future, you may want to consider an OpenSource pro tune.

Enjoy the car =).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Honestly, you should see a couple MPGs increase if you are cruising with Stage 1 or Stage 2. But WOT is much more fun, so you usually spend more time on the gas
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    ORLY? Catback gives 20 horses? So if stock 11WRX comes with like ~245hp at the wheels, the cbe will unlock the magic 265?

sarcastic kitteh is sarcastic
    Last edited by Igor103; 07-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    Really? Catback gives 20 horses? So if stock 11WRX comes with like ~245hp at the wheels, the cbe will unlock the magic 265?

sarcastic kitteh is sarcastic

Sorry, no I meant that I heard the Stage 1 tune will give you 20 hp and 70 trq. I just mentioned the catback came with the car and is the only "performance" mod I have so far. I wasn't sure if you could even do a Stage 1 tune on a 99.5% stock car. I am new to turbo cars but I do know a catback won't grant that level of miracle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, CBE is like 2-3 steeds at most, stage 1 will bring WRX to 250's, stage2 gonna take it to 270's at best (but ur messing with exhaust and that's against uncle Sam).
    Last edited by Igor103; 07-06-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

LOL! Not really sure what you mean by that... emissions?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, you not suppose to modify the exhaust, cat-wise at least for sure. Meaning, stage 2 requires altered DP.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Ohhhh ok. Yeah no plans to modify any of the pipes or the cat. Just wondering if a Stage 1 tune would hurt my MPG's too much while increasing the HP a little bit. Anyone know roughly how much a stage 1 tune would cost to get done at a shop?

And if anyone knows of a good performance shop in or near Phoenix, AZ please let me know.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dunc View Post
    Ohhhh ok. Yeah no plans to modify any of the pipes or the cat. Just wondering if a Stage 1 tune would hurt my MPG's too much while increasing the HP a little bit. Anyone know roughly how much a stage 1 tune would cost to get done at a shop?

And if anyone knows of a good performance shop in or near Phoenix, AZ please let me know.
    The tune, there-in-itself, won't hurt the MPGs much. It's your foot that may

Look up Cobb Tuning. If you pick up an access port, that is the easiest way to go about it. You just plug it in under the steering wheel, and pick the appropriate OTS (Off-The-Shelf) tune, and you are good to go. Only downside being they are pricey... I think around $600.

Another alternative, is you could buy a Tactrix cable which allows for you to tune your car using open source (OS) software. I went this route. The downside being is that you really have a lot of room to mess up your ECU if you aren't careful. It takes a bit of reading and learning to get the software installed right and working. One perk is that it allows you to run logs to verify tune 'health'. The other perk is it's substantially cheaper than an AccessPort from Cobb. There are tuners that will tune your car over the internet in iterations. You flash a map, and follow their instructions to log it. Send the log to them, they send you a new map. Rinse and repeat for a handful of iterations, and you have a tuned car. I actually went this route and was very pleased with the result. PM me if you want some more info on that. It'd behoove you to check out RomRaider if you choose this route.

Professional tuners can use either of the above options, plus a few more. A lot of them require an accessport anyhow. Some of them will tune with open source - then you wouldn't even have to buy the cable.

Make a bit of sense? You should check out the stickies in the Engine Management section of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Plus if you worried about MPGs that much, you got a wrong car.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Not worried about them "that much"... But I sure as hell don't to go any lower if I can help it.

Question about replacing the turbo. I have a 04 wrx 2.0l. If i replace the turbo with a EvoIII 16g, what else should I replace to make sure my engine will be able to cope with the change?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide42 View Post
    Question about replacing the turbo. I have a 04 wrx 2.0l. If i replace the turbo with a EvoIII 16g, what else should I replace to make sure my engine will be able to cope with the change?
    See the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

As I am new to modding the STI, this is a very helpful write up. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.