First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I have another set of questions (03 WRX 2.0)- The car came with a aftermarket turbo-back, cold air intake, ...

Ok, I have another set of questions (03 WRX 2.0)-
    The car came with a aftermarket turbo-back, cold air intake, and a manual boost controller. I don't know if it has been tuned, but I doubt it considering the codes it throws.
    I plan to get an up-pipe and an Accessport before getting it back on the road (replacing the transmission and FL axle now). Should I remove the MBC and reinstall the stock piece? I plan to use the Stage 2+ from the Accessport when I get it due to the car's existing modifications.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb's map notes clearly state what can and can not be used with their AP maps. Both the MBC and the intake need to be removed unless you get a custom map made for those particular mods.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...03WRXMaps.html
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I was thinking that I'd need to, but wanted to check first.
    I'll start looking for stock pieces to replace them. Hope they aren't an wallet buster.
    How would I go about getting a map made for it? I know a local guy with tuning software who has (a lot) experience tuning turbo Hondas and the Eagle Talons. Would he be trustworthy to tune the car?

If you want an easy solution call or email pdxtuning.com. They make custom maps for cobb ap and turboxs utek.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Easy works for me, thanks. I'm not wanting to continue modding the car, just make it work with as much power and reliability as I can with the current mods.

newbie here

hi ppl im new here ., i just wanna see the goods and the bads or the mods i need doit if i go for the 20g in my wrx. thanx

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zolcon33 View Post
    hi ppl im new here ., i just wanna see the goods and the bads or the mods i need doit if i go for the 20g in my wrx. thanx
    Welcome to the club

I'd recommend starting a new thread in "engine modifications" as you will get more specific feedback that way.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

first mods

Hey guys my wrx is pretty much stock i have only added the cobb cat back exhaust and a short shifter, I was thinking about doing a little more to it but im not looking to spend a huge amount of money on it. I was thinking of maybe getting a downpipe and the accessport and stage 2ing it. any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by zMcAspirE View Post
    Hey guys my wrx is pretty much stock i have only added the cobb cat back exhaust and a short shifter, I was thinking about doing a little more to it but im not looking to spend a huge amount of money on it. I was thinking of maybe getting a downpipe and the accessport and stage 2ing it. any other suggestions?
    sway bars w/ endlinks
    tires
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

subframe lock down bushings
    rear diff mount bushings
    (just did ^ .. they were $65 and took a half hour with just ramps and hand tools. Made tremendous difference.. should have done them earlier!)

Shifter bushings
    sways
    links
    tires

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Smile New

I just got a stock 2002 wrx only thing I've done to
    is a full 3" turboback exhaust.Upgraded Inlet tube andEpoc prokit springs. Also fixing to
    get a nice cold air intake. I'm
    new to
    subies. I'm embarassed to say this but I
    was riding with the
    hondas I had a built prelude. But
    how much hp do
    you think
    I'm
    pushing after the intake. And
    what minor things can
    u do
    without getting into the head and stuff to get some
    good torque and hp gains. also
    thought about tuning the stock turbo to more
    boost. What would
    be safe? Thanks for everyone help
    Last edited by New02scooby; 10-10-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added extra info

I Support ClubWRX
    Hondas are among the best cars in the world.

The intake will not add power to your car. It is also unlikely to filter air better than the correct part.

See the links in my signature for info on all components and what's what.

Welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Old thread bump...

I'm trying to figure out if it is a BAD thing to have an intake with a COBB stage 1 map? I'm looking get an AcessPort and go stage 2 next summer once I get a TBE setup. Only thing is, my car had a Fujita F5 SRI installed on it when a bought it, along with a GReddy Profec B series II boost controller that I have turned off because I know better.

Any opinions or first hand experience? I'm thinking it may be because the car can run lean since the map is not accounting for an intake?

Searching now also...
    2006 CGM WRX TR
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #139
    www.idahosubie.com

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty WRX View Post
    Old thread bump...

I'm trying to figure out if it is a BAD thing to have an intake with a COBB stage 1 map? I'm looking get an AcessPort and go stage 2 next summer once I get a TBE setup. Only thing is, my car had a Fujita F5 SRI installed on it when a bought it, along with a GReddy Profec B series II boost controller that I have turned off because I know better.

Any opinions or first hand experience? I'm thinking it may be because the car can run lean since the map is not accounting for an intake?

Searching now also...
    Always refer to the map notes - cobb . wrx accessport . map listing

"Hardware Requirements: Otherwise stock vehicle with a STOCK INTAKE
    SYSTEM ONLY."

It is about running lean. Some intakes are thought to be OK but I don't know about Fujita and am pretty skeptical.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Always refer to the map notes - cobb . wrx accessport . map listing

"Hardware Requirements: Otherwise stock vehicle with a STOCK INTAKE
    SYSTEM ONLY."

It is about running lean. Some intakes are thought to be OK but I don't know about Fujita and am pretty skeptical.
    I've heard Fujita does make decent quality parts, but I have never heard anything about them on Subarus.

Accessport maps will work ok with a SPT SRIs, K&N SRIs, and Cobb SRIs as they all still flow relatively close to stock, since the stock airbox is actually pretty efficient. Anything else, especially CAIs...I wouldn't use.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.