First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Pavia I would have noted in item 1 that an aftermarket uppipe (or P-n-P OEM UP) can ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I would have noted in item 1 that an aftermarket uppipe (or P-n-P OEM UP) can be a useful mod for the 2.5L vehicles, when coupled with other upgrades (such as Headers, DP, Protune, and Turbo Intake).

It is not as vital as on the 02-05 WRX's, but there are benefits to replacing the more restrictive OEM piece, especially if your going beyond the typical stage 2 mods.
    Thanks for your input Pavia -

I was a bit conflicted whether to point out your consideration at that point. The UP is top on the list for the 2.0 but well down it for the 2.5. I see it more in the range of "A variety of other things can be done still though to improve flow". I may insert a comment in point #1 as listing it again later would be awkward. It should be pretty well spelled out in the exhaust FAQ as well though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia
    I would have noted in item 1 that an aftermarket uppipe (or P-n-P OEM UP) can be a useful mod for the 2.5L vehicles, when coupled with other upgrades (such as Headers, DP, Protune, and Turbo Intake).

It is not as vital as on the 02-05 WRX's, but there are benefits to replacing the more restrictive OEM piece, especially if your going beyond the typical stage 2 mods.
    There are gains to be had in both power/spool because the OEM 2.5L uppipe is not designed optimally. To really reap the benefits, a custom tune would probably be needed, and the 8-10hp and 1-200RPM spool increase would hardly be detected by the butt dyno (it's something you'd probably need datalogs to show).

In terms of PnPing the OEM uppipe, unless you are comfortable with PnP as a DIY project, I wouldn't bother. For what you'd pay someone, the gains you'd see would not be cost-effective. You would be able to smooth the opening, but you'd still have a restriction where the OEM pipe bends. An aftermarket uppipe can be found for ~$100-150 used, and would be better money spent than sending your OEM uppipe out to be PnP'd IMO.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks

Thanks a lot man, this really help me start thinking on what I want to do with it. Do you have any good websites that I would find useful?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboard4life76 View Post
    Thanks a lot man, this really help me start thinking on what I want to do with it. Do you have any good websites that I would find useful?
    Glad it helped

There are a bunch of great stickies and FAQs here on the club (look at each subforum you are interested in.

This is a great resource as well:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I recently bought an 03 WRX. The car has a few things done to it- aftermarket downpipe/exhaust, intake piping, BOV. I think it has a stock up-pipe and intercooler. I'm thinking about getting a stock STi intercooler and an aftermarket or gutted up-pipe. Would the power gains/added safety from these items be worth the investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Etown_wrx View Post
    I recently bought an 03 WRX. The car has a few things done to it- aftermarket downpipe/exhaust, intake piping, BOV. I think it has a stock up-pipe and intercooler. I'm thinking about getting a stock STi intercooler and an aftermarket or gutted up-pipe. Would the power gains/added safety from these items be worth the investment?
    Up pipe yes, intercooler no. Dont bother find a used turboxs, aps, perrin, or spearco top mount. Those, you may see a 15hp gain, but it really comes down to if your getting a new turbo. Td04 is small and limiting but can benefit well from better airflow. Id invest in suspension stuff (F/R sways, endlinks, and strut tower bar. Then go for a 3port or some kind of boost controller with a protune; and/or Cobb AP or EcuTek. If your untuned you need one NOW.

Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I'll be on the lookout for one of those, then. I'd like to get some more power from the car, but I don't want to spend a huge amount of money in the car yet. I still have another project to finish.

I think I'm going to do sway bars and shocks on the car. I have a Camaro (the project car) with pretty much fully modified suspension. It handles great, but rides like sled. I don't want that in the WRX. I want it for a sporty DD that'll serve well in the winter.

Is there a way to get the car tuned without a dyno tune. I don't know of any within a couple hundred miles of where I live...
    Last edited by Etown_wrx; 06-27-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Yes, the Cobb Accessport comes with preloaded maps and alot of other goodies, not to mention a 10yr old could install it. They are pretty easy to find used for about 350 or you can go for the turboxs utek. Both are really good deals for the cost and youll definately notice alot more gains than the intercooler (which cost more usually). If you want a smooth DD dont replace the struts, unless you find some smooth ones. Turninconcepts.com makes good products and have good customer service, im using there TiCToK package. Sways and strut tower bars are a very nice upgrade from stock suspension though.
    Chris

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into the tune and the sway bars and strut tower bars first. I'm glad I ran into someone who understands what I want from the car. Some people...

I don't want a necessarily 'smooth' (ie Cadillac, etc) ride, I just don't want the roughness I have with the Camaro. I have rod end/polyurethane linkages, KONIs, Eibach springs, etc. The body style I have alot looser build tolerances than the WRX is seems, so the rough ride is amplified by road noise. How do you like the TiCToK package?

? about the parts already on my subie and what should i do next

hey everyone i just recently bought a 02 wrx impreza. it has a hyperflow front mont intercooler greddy turbo controller blitz turbo timer and turbo xs bov. i have a apex exhaust and ac agency header and waiting on more money for a up and down pipe once i get those im going to put the full exhaust system on. i dont think the car has ever been tune so i was wondering once all the exhaust stuff gets put on do i need to tune it. would better to dyno it or just get a cobb access port i think there are already maps on it and save a little money but if dyno is better then ill go wit that. i just want this car to be quick but reliable at the same time because it is my daily driving car.

another ? i have is the blitz turbo timer is set for 30sec ( when turn the car off car stay running for 30sec) so is that a good timing for it or what. the turbo is stock i think so i will have to check it again.

i think the car has a short shifter in it idk if it was Put in right or just need adjusting car shift in to gear find but 2nd grind when i shift from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd only. this happen when i go above 3000 rpm or shift a little fast but other then that it goes in find and all the other gears work fine. the shifter does hit the plastic when going into 2nd 4th and reverse. thats y i think it just need adjusting and hopping its not the syncro. it would save me alot of money if some one could help me out on this instead taking it to a shop and have them tear the transmission apart and found out the syncro is in good shape. o ya and i just did a fluid change in the tranny. i used royal purple just alittle more info to help everyone on what i did

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysubie View Post
    hey everyone i just recently bought a 02 wrx impreza. it has a hyperflow front mont intercooler greddy turbo controller blitz turbo timer and turbo xs bov. i have a apex exhaust and ac agency header and waiting on more money for a up and down pipe once i get those im going to put the full exhaust system on. i dont think the car has ever been tune so i was wondering once all the exhaust stuff gets put on do i need to tune it.
    You do not need a tune for the exhaust. However you do need a tune for headers. You could save the most money by fitting the correct intercooler back on, selling the BOV and the turbo timer, and getting an up pipe and a down pipe -- you will get CELs but they can be fixed without a tune.

would better to dyno it or just get a cobb access port
    See their site for a list of mods their product supports. If it's not listed, a mod is generally not supported.

i just want this car to be quick but reliable at the same time because it is my daily driving car.
    Subaru makes the best parts for Subarus. Stock cars tend to be quite reliable. The more you deviate from stock, the more the economy is stimulated.

another ? i have is the blitz turbo timer is set for 30sec ( when turn the car off car stay running for 30sec) so is that a good timing for it or what.
    It doesn't matter. Sell the turbo timer.

i think the car has a short shifter in it idk if it was Put in right or just need adjusting car shift in to gear find but 2nd grind when i shift from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd only.
    This could be either the shifter or the syncros. Check the shifter and once you are in there start a new thread with pictures -- maybe someone can ID the model for you and help.

How did the car shift before the Royal Purple?

EDIT: Please see links in my signature for info. Also, you can start your own thread in any forum -- usually the answers are already posted though. See the New Member forum for an introduction if you want to say hi. Welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Etown_wrx View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into the tune and the sway bars and strut tower bars first. I'm glad I ran into someone who understands what I want from the car. Some people...

I don't want a necessarily 'smooth' (ie Cadillac, etc) ride, I just don't want the roughness I have with the Camaro. I have rod end/polyurethane linkages, KONIs, Eibach springs, etc. The body style I have alot looser build tolerances than the WRX is seems, so the rough ride is amplified by road noise. How do you like the TiCToK package?
    I have mine pretty firm right now so its only a nice ride while going fast through windy roads. Its a rougher than stock ride, but im 1 1/4" lower n the front and 1/2" in the back. Speed bumps suck. Np, I enjoy helping people.

Chris
    Chris

thanks for the info i just started my account today so im still figuring out how to post a new thread. so your saying put the top mount back on y is that and why is the turbo timer not needed. really appreciate your help

thanks for the info i just started my account today so im still figuring out how to post a new thread. so your saying put the top mount back on y is that and why is the turbo timer not needed. really appreciate your help

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.