First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 198

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Sounds good. I don't know everything Dom did in my tune (I meant to pull the ...

  1. #16
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,282
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Sounds good.

    I don't know everything Dom did in my tune (I meant to pull the ROM after the tune to take a peak, but my car went into the shop for 7 weeks directly after the tune and I've been lazy since I got it back), but IIRC my WGDC is lower than IWG setups and set to 0 when the EWG dumps. Our resident ECU experts (Ron/Jeremy) could probably shed some more in-depth input on the tuning aspects.
    Okay, let's put requires tuning to err on the side of caution and see what they say.

    "Possibly" - great scientific word right there.
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,825
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Okay, let's put requires tuning to err on the side of caution and see what they say.

    "Possibly" - great scientific word right there.
    It would be safe to say that it requires tuning. If the EWG itself doesn't "require it" (I'm pretty sure it does), it would still be safe to say because I don't think anyone would go that route with the OEM BCS (the extra $100 spent on aftermarket BCS/MBC is a no-brainer). I just can't explain the specifics of EWG tuning, as I don't have that much experience tweaking maps (just minor adjustments to fueling/timing)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #18
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,282
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It would be safe to say that it requires tuning. If the EWG itself doesn't "require it" (I'm pretty sure it does), it would still be safe to say because I don't think anyone would go that route with the OEM BCS (the extra $100 spent on aftermarket BCS/MBC is a no-brainer). I just can't explain the specifics of EWG tuning, as I don't have that much experience tweaking maps (just minor adjustments to fueling/timing)
    Quick edit - it is in the disclaimer in the FAQ I linked.
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-26-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  5. #19
    Moderator Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Da boonies
    Posts
    6,222
    I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice!! Excellent!

    For #9 any 3 port run in "interrupt mode" must be returned for as they use 30% less wastegate duty cycle. This means if you slap one on with no tuning and punch it you will severely overboost and probably cause major damage to your engine if not make it go boom. 3-port solenoids allow for better boost control and faster spool when tuned correctly.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S




  6. #20
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,282
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    Very nice, this should be stickied.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Very nice!! Excellent!

    For #9 any 3 port run in "interrupt mode" must be returned for as they use 30% less wastegate duty cycle. This means if you slap one on with no tuning and punch it you will severely overboost and probably cause major damage to your engine if not make it go boom. 3-port solenoids allow for better boost control and faster spool when tuned correctly.
    Sweet, I'll update that. Thanks!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    15

    thinking of getting some mods to my 07 sti

    I am a new sti owner and I was thinking of getting a turbo back exhaust. Probably a cobb exhaust. Do I have to get a tune if i do this? Plus what r some other mods that r not going to cost a fourtune to get 30 HP. Like i said I am new to the club and want to get some answers from the guys that know what they r doing.

    Thanks
    Brian

  8. #22
    Registered User lytlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,310
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    I am a new sti owner and I was thinking of getting a turbo back exhaust. Probably a cobb exhaust. Do I have to get a tune if i do this? Plus what r some other mods that r not going to cost a fourtune to get 30 HP. Like i said I am new to the club and want to get some answers from the guys that know what they r doing.

    Thanks
    Brian
    Yes. Turbo back exhaust and a tune will make you very happy with your STi. You should read some stickies!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Yes. Turbo back exhaust and a tune will make you very happy with your STi. You should read some stickies!
    do have to have my car dyno run or can I get a street tune? I am very cautios because I dont want to do damage to my engine. I put a blow off valve on but took it off as it was making my car run sluggish. I live in upstate NY but the only tunners I have been recomened are at least 2 hrs away that is a pain to go that far. Any other suggestions on a good tunner locally. Come on guys help me out because I got a guy with a Jetta 1.8 with some turbo mods and he is always wanting to race me. I am sure I will beat him because his car seems to be a top end car. So in a quarter mile I am sure I can take him but I just want to be sure. I know this car is pure tracktion but just looking for advice I am not sure what u mean by stickied is this someone I should talk to?????? Ok where do I read stickies as it is called?????
    Last edited by eclipse; 03-07-2010 at 09:38 AM.

  10. #24
    Registered User benson156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    331
    When you click on a sub forum ie: engine modifications you'll notice that on the left of the page it'll say sticky: BOV info. Those are stickies. They are at the top of every sub forum.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

  11. #25
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,825
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse
    do have to have my car dyno run or can I get a street tune? I am very cautios because I dont want to do damage to my engine. I put a blow off valve on but took it off as it was making my car run sluggish. I live in upstate NY but the only tunners I have been recomened are at least 2 hrs away that is a pain to go that far. Any other suggestions on a good tunner locally. Come on guys help me out because I got a guy with a Jetta 1.8 with some turbo mods and he is always wanting to race me. I am sure I will beat him because his car seems to be a top end car. So in a quarter mile I am sure I can take him but I just want to be sure. I know this car is pure tracktion but just looking for advice I am not sure what u mean by stickied is this someone I should talk to?????? Ok where do I read stickies as it is called?????
    Click the "UNYSOC" link in my signature - it's a local forum. We have a guy on the boards who'll road tune you pretty cheap.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by benson156 View Post
    When you click on a sub forum ie: engine modifications you'll notice that on the left of the page it'll say sticky: BOV info. Those are stickies. They are at the top of every sub forum.
    Thanks and this a bad ass looking car u got there

  13. #27
    Registered User benson156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Thanks and this a bad ass looking car u got there
    Thanks man! Yeah I can't complain about it, it's one of the cars I've wanted since I've seen one and now I have it
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

  14. #28
    Registered User cjm1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    1,040
    Welcome to the wonderful subaru world, congrats on the new car. There are alot of ways to mod an sti, i think an exhaust and protune will get you 30hp. Post a pic of your car so we can check it out

    Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    15

    pics

    Ya I will post m\some pics this weekend. I just got the windows tinted it dressed it up nice. Talk soon bro

    Brian

  16. #30
    Registered User CGimpreza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    272
    Hey guys I found this up-pipe on rallysport. I can't seem to find any reviews on it, and the price tag makes my tongue wag a bit. Of course I like to check here before buying anything..

    RallySportDirect.com - Greddy Subaru Up-Pipe with out EGT Bung
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •