First Modifications - what to do and not to do - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Modifications - what to do and not to do within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got a stupid question....where I can buy STI Intercooler without paying dealer markup?...

So I got a stupid question....where I can buy STI Intercooler without paying dealer markup?
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    So I got a stupid question....where I can buy STI Intercooler without paying dealer markup?
    STI intercooler won't fit on your car. The turbo orientations are slightly different, the way the intercooler couples to the turbo is different, and the manifolds are different.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks for the starting piont

My deepest apologies if this has been answered already but i just got a stock 04 STi and i am very new to the sti community and terminology and also turbo cars. I did have a 240SX with an SR20 but everything was so easy when my buddy had one and i just did what he did with a few minor adjustments. I do have a few questions and hope they will be answered here with out being blown up for being an "idiot" and i hope people will refrain from saying "just search or google it". Please help me out.

What is stage 2?
    What is "MBC"?
    What is "AP"?
    What is the difference between a downpipe and an uppipe?
    I just got an 04 STi thats bone stock except for an intake and i was thinking of doing just a 3" exhaust system with lowering springs. Is an accesport really necessary for intake / 3" exhaust even with a stock turbo and top mount intercooler? And if i went FMIC will the accessport be necessary to adjust the tune?

The car will be used strictly as a DD with some occasional highway fun. Again i am sorry for my ignorance, i joined the forums and hoping to get some help and not get bashed.
    Last edited by GizmoTLR; 10-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoTLR View Post
    My deepest apologies if this has been answered already but i just got a stock 04 STi and i am very new to the sti community and terminology and also turbo cars. I did have a 240SX with an SR20 but everything was so easy when my buddy had one and i just did what he did with a few minor adjustments. I do have a few questions and hope they will be answered here with out being blown up for being an "idiot" and i hope people will refrain from saying "just search or google it". Please help me out.

What is stage 2?
    What is "MBC"?
    What is "AP"?
    I just got an 04 STi thats bone stock except for an intake and i was thinking of doing just a 3" exhaust system with lowering springs. Is an accesport really necessary for intake / 3" exhaust even with a stock turbo and top mount intercooler? And if i went FMIC will the accessport be necessary to adjust the tune?

The car will be used strictly as a DD with some occasional highway fun. Again i am sorry for my ignorance, i joined the forums and hoping to get some help and not get bashed.
    OMG USE THE SEARCH BAR!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
    My previous response was much more harsh but I'll throw you a bone.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

my advice read till your eyes bleed before you even think of touching your car.
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 10-03-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    OMG USE THE SEARCH BAR!!!
    the difference between down pipe and up pipe is. The up pipe is before the turbo and the downpipe is after the turbo. When doing the downpipe you definitely have to tune the car. When the intake was done do you know if the car was tuned. I have a cat back system 3 inch and it's fine. the car is already fast and stable.I'd bring it down and have it tuned. It depends on what you want done to the car you wanted to run for 6 months or do you want to run the life the car.

What is stage 2?
    What is "MBC"?
    What is "AP"?

Stage 2 at it's most basic is an aftermarket downpipe and an appropriate tune.
    MBC stands for Manual Boost Control. One of the various methods out there for controlling boost, though usually you don't see this unless the car it at least stage 2. This also needs to be tuned for
    AP stands for Accessport. Made by Cobb Tuning, it's a popular flashing/tuning device.
    Exhaust diagram:
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

So pretty much if i dont want to blow up the car the 1st thing i should get is an AP, because any type of engine mid i do after that will need to be tuned except a catback.

And i dont believe it was tuned when the intake was put on. Well its not really an "intake" just a cone style K&N air filter and no box.
    Last edited by GizmoTLR; 10-03-2013 at 06:40 AM.

So pretty much if i dont want to blow up the car the 1st thing i should get is an AP, because any type of engine mid i do after that will need to be tuned except a catback.

And i dont believe it was tuned when the intake was put on. Well its not really an "intake" just a cone style K&N air filter and no box.
    You don't need an AP to do tuning. They are nice, as they come with canned tunes, but you could also take your car to a performance shop for a professional tune.

The intake doesn't need a tune, however it also probably does nothing for significant performance either way on your vehicle. They look and sound cool...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    You don't need an AP to do tuning. They are nice, as they come with canned tunes, but you could also take your car to a performance shop for a professional tune.

The intake doesn't need a tune, however it also probably does nothing for significant performance either way on your vehicle. They look and sound cool...
    Agree on the AP (I don't know anything about those filters).

See the stickies in the tuning forum for other options (Opensource).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball
    Exhaust diagram:
    That image is a bastardized version of the original diagram (disregarding the fact that they deleted the diagram credit), with some "bubbles" of advice which are misleading. I would just refer to the original and disregard all their additions:

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia

Some shops will not tune OpenECU.

The filter could or could not mess with the airflow enough to warrant re-scaling of the MAF. Without proper datalog (with WBO2 readings), we can't say.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Stock is enough power for me especially with all the ******* cops in my area. I just wanna get that nice sound subaru's are known for and keep turning heads like i did in my RSX

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That image is a bastardized version of the original diagram (disregarding the fact that they deleted the diagram credit), with some "bubbles" of advice which are misleading. I would just refer to the original and disregard all their additions:
    Yeah, my quick googling didn't come up with that image, and I admittedly didn't even read what those bubbles said that whoever added to it. I just linked it cause it was the right picture.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I've decided the first two mods for my '13 WRX will be a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and a Cobb intake. My question is is the Cobb replacement airbox worth getting along with the intake?
    Stitch Jones aka Mr Bakalava
    2013 PBP WRX