Cone filter possibility?

This is a discussion on Cone filter possibility? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 08 WRX, and am wondering if a cone filter will work on the car. I noticed a ...

Cone filter possibility?

I have an 08 WRX, and am wondering if a cone filter will work on the car. I noticed a sensor that connects to the top of the stock air box, and if i were to do a cone filter the sensor wouldn't really have a place. What does this sensor do? whats it called? is it possible to get the cone filter in?
    Can i just put the filter right on the tubing right where the tubing and the air box meet? Will this cause any ECU problems or CELs or anything of the sort?
    I'm not going for any massive performance gains, obviously, but am looking for more sound from the turbo and the diverter valve . thanks, don't really know what I'm doing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    That is your MAF sensor

I'm not too familiar with the 08 models... but check out SPT parts.. they should make a good CAI for your car the re-used the MAF and won't mess up your readings.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelsten View Post
    I have an 08 WRX, and am wondering if a cone filter will work on the car.
    Many would say "yes" to that. I'm not one of them though. I'm not convinced that even those filters that avoid generating air flow measurement problems actually perform the primary task of the device -- feeding clean air to the motor -- better than the stock filter, and I'm conservative.

I noticed a sensor that connects to the top of the stock air box, and if i were to do a cone filter the sensor wouldn't really have a place. What does this sensor do? whats it called? is it possible to get the cone filter in?
    It's a MAF sensor, and it measures mass air flow, partially allowing the ECU to set fueling.

Will this cause any ECU problems or CELs or anything of the sort?
    Potentially.

I'm not going for any massive performance gains, obviously, but am looking for more sound from the turbo and the diverter valve . thanks, don't really know what I'm doing
    Have a look around, searching for "intake" and "SPT" for some great threads on the subject. Opinions vary, as does the quality of parts available.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    A cone filter by itself won't work. You would need to purchase an intake. That being said,most intakes do require custom tuning due to the MAF sensor design on the Subarus. I don't think SPT currently sells an intake for the 08+. AEM sells one.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S