thinking to switch to vf34.............
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on thinking to switch to vf34............. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I currently have an 05wrx with an fp evo3 16g turbo with snow performance meth kit tuned to 324whp.. I ...

thinking to switch to vf34.............

I currently have an 05wrx with an fp evo3 16g turbo with snow performance meth kit tuned to 324whp.. I was thinking about switching my turbo to a vf34 what do you guys think? what would the outcome be or any othere turbos i shold look at

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dyaboy96 View Post
    I currently have an 05wrx with an fp evo3 16g turbo with snow performance meth kit tuned to 324whp.. I was thinking about switching my turbo to a vf34 what do you guys think? what would the outcome be or any othere turbos i shold look at
    Selling your 16g?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Downgrade.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Downgrade.
    this

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

The VF34 should spool a little faster than the 16G, however your Meth kit negates this advantage.
    The VF34 will not have as much power up top.
    The VF34 is not rebuild-able.

What are your goals?

What's wrong with your turbo that you wanna get rid of it? 16g is better then a vf34.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post

What are your goals?
    You actually have anywhere that says that? I've heard this for a long time now. Searching I've come up with are the vf's can't be rebuilt. Then I've heard people say no I rebuild them all the time. I've heard of a guy running a 20g compressor wheel in his sti on his vf39. Can't be done unless you can rebuild the turbo. I'd like to find out because I'm running a 34 and I have a 39 I was going to slap on to mess with the 34 a little. I guess ultimately I should talk to a turbo rebuilder but if there was an easy answer it would be great. lol

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    You actually have anywhere that says that? I've heard this for a long time now. Searching I've come up with are the vf's can't be rebuilt. Then I've heard people say no I rebuild them all the time. I've heard of a guy running a 20g compressor wheel in his sti on his vf39. Can't be done unless you can rebuild the turbo. I'd like to find out because I'm running a 34 and I have a 39 I was going to slap on to mess with the 34 a little. I guess ultimately I should talk to a turbo rebuilder but if there was an easy answer it would be great. lol
    I don't think they are any less rebuildable but there are no parts unless you scavenge other turbos.

Edit - here: Selling Junk IHI's. Good Luck Having Em rebuilt - NASIOC
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-21-2010 at 04:44 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    IHI turbos ARE rebuildable, but nobody sells the parts needed in the US. It's a matter of not having parts available.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I don't think they are any less rebuildable but there are no parts unless you scavenge other turbos.

Edit - here: Selling Junk IHI's. Good Luck Having Em rebuilt - NASIOC
    I get that they can't rebuild the center section. But all the other pieces can be replaced like seals. They inspect it and make sure it's alright. In most cases these bad turbo's are leaking seals.

When the engine time comes in a couple months I'll hit them up and inquire to what is possible with my 34 and 39. Definitely want a monster port, bigger compressor wheel, and clipped turbine. Probably bump the turbo up to 20g territory. And can always claim a stock turbo. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Here's a pretty good thread on the subject.
    Need Bearing For Vf22 Asap!! Help!! - NASIOC

There is a big difference between buying a $60 bearing kit for a Mitsubishi (16G, 18G, TD04, ect) and buying a $300-500 preassembled center section (rotating part) of a VF turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    The VF34 should spool a little faster than the 16G, however your Meth kit negates this advantage.
    The VF34 will not have as much power up top.

What are your goals?
    well im lookin for about 350whp

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dyaboy96 View Post
    well im lookin for about 350whp
    So you're getting a smaller turbo? A 16G won't even do that with meth.

Also be aware, that is plenty past the danger zone for your stock motor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.