GrimmSpeed AOS - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on GrimmSpeed AOS within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by lytlec So any reviews of how well this works....I understand what it does...but I don't have one ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    So any reviews of how well this works....I understand what it does...but I don't have one of my car now....so...what is the point? It seems like one of those things that can be done without....I just want to know if anyone has seen the benefits of it!
    It seems to be doing exactly what is is supposed to very well. Prior to the install I had a tiny amount of oil collecting in the intake and IC. The AOS looks to have stopped it like turning a faucet off.

It has turned a peculiar red color though ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG8108.jpg  
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    It seems to be doing exactly what is is supposed to very well. Prior to the install I has a tiny amount of oil collecting in the intake and IC. The AOS looks to have stopped it like turning a faucet off.

It has turned a peculiar red color though ...
    So what kind of benefits do you see from this? Any performance gains?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    So what kind of benefits do you see from this? Any performance gains?
    A cleaner intake / IC system. It's not really for performance. There is this mention on Grimmspeed's site:

"When there is oil in your system, the result is 1) reduced fuel octane 2) higher chance of engine knock(detonation) 3) worse emissions 4) higher oil consumption. Our AOS will solve all of these problems."

I cannot tell if this is totally true, but seems to makes sense.

There was an issue about of a statement of theirs about another GS product I had recently. My observed result contradicted their claim.

Regardless I think they are a solid vendor putting out quality products. Customer service has been quite good as well.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I believe those are all well documented claims for having oil in the mix. How much difference the amount of oil your car spews makes is a bit up for grabs though. I had enough that it bugged me.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I am in no way knocking the product...just trying to figure out where I want to put it on my list of **** to buy...lol...because I have a problem....I can't stop buying or thinking of buying stuff....its like...my drug.....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    I am in no way knocking the product...just trying to figure out where I want to put it on my list of **** to buy...lol...because I have a problem....I can't stop buying or thinking of buying stuff....its like...my drug.....
    I have your addiction as well. I would recommend the AOS to help soothe (prolong?) your affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I believe those are all well documented claims for having oil in the mix. How much difference the amount of oil your car spews makes is a bit up for grabs though. I had enough that it bugged me.
    It bugged me as well when I first removed the IC (2004). It really was / has not been not that much ... but any visual amount of goo would have gotten my attention.

I gave the IC and intake a thorough internal cleaning recently. I will have another peek soon to re-verify the AOS is doing its advertised job.

Stay tuned ...
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-27-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Mods & Pics

It bugged me as well when I first removed the IC (2004). It really was / has not been not that much ... but any visual amount of goo would have gotten my attention.

I gave the IC and intake a thorough internal cleaning recently. I will have another peek soon to re-verify the AOS is doing its advertised job.

Stay tuned ...
    I had my intercooler off a few months ago when I put my turbo inlet on...I didn't notice any goo anywhere....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    I had my intercooler off a few months ago when I put my turbo inlet on...I didn't notice any goo anywhere....
    I never saw much, but it was noticeable. It was easiest to see where the throttle body meets the large IC hose.

Some never see any - I guess you are one of these.

I have never been able to visually detect any amount oil consumption on the dipstick between oil changes.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine had a little accumulation - it would drip out a dime to quarter size puddle. The thing is that your looking at a dynamic situation not a steady state. There is a lot of air going through there so if there is that much left it is being replenished regularly. I too have very little oil consumption according to the dipstick so we aren't talking more than ml/hr or anything like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Mine had a little accumulation - it would drip out a dime to quarter size puddle.
    I had way less than that. It was still easily noticeable.

Has your AOS turned red yet?
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I had way less than that. It was still easily noticeable.

Has your AOS turned red yet?
    No. I think they discussed getting some unsatisfactory anodizing which held up the tail end of the group buy. Have a look at the end of that thread. Maybe the first ones were from the same source but looked better initially. It seemed like they were taking a hit to keep the quality high.

I'm on the fence if it would bother me enough to complain personally but my engine bay isn't near as pretty as yours.

Edit: I just looked again - actually it might look cool if it turns all the way red.
    Last edited by mycologist; 05-27-2010 at 07:42 PM.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is not a typical AOS Example. It looks like during the anodizing process there was not the proper rinse cycle on a few of our AOS's, some of the chemicals when not cleaned off will discolor. This is something we will most definitely take up with our anodizing company. If you cant remove this with a rag please PM us and we will be sure to get this taken care of. If you look at the actual body it is free of discoloration, it is simply a chemical on the surface and not the actual metal/anodize material. We have endlessly tested the durability of these coatings and they can withstand extreme temperatures. As always we will be here to support and help those in need!

Will
    GrimmSpeed

I Support ClubWRX

Yet another reason why you guys are so popular in the subaru world. Thanks for the post Will
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
    This is not a typical AOS Example. It looks like during the anodizing process there was not the proper rinse cycle on a few of our AOS's, some of the chemicals when not cleaned off will discolor. This is something we will most definitely take up with our anodizing company. If you cant remove this with a rag please PM us and we will be sure to get this taken care of. If you look at the actual body it is free of discoloration, it is simply a chemical on the surface and not the actual metal/anodize material. We have endlessly tested the durability of these coatings and they can withstand extreme temperatures. As always we will be here to support and help those in need!

Will
    It does not appear to rub off at all. Oddly enough the red only developed where the core was outside the body.

The red looks kind of cool in a weird way. If you want it back for analysis of the coating or you think it will degrade the coating and potentially cause problems let me know. Here is a side view.

A shot of oil on its way back to the crankcase.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Keep us posted. Mine is working well so far...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.